Thread of the Month

Thread of the Month:
WPX - Storming the Castle

Add Reply
New Poll

A Irmandade de Mutantes, March 20th | 10 PM | Closed to tagged
Mimic
 Posted: Apr 6 2018, 01:30 PM

Rocinha, located on a steep hillside in Rio de Janeiro's South Side, was the largest favela in all of Brazil. Officially the area was classified as a neighbourhood, because compared to most favelas it had seen more urban development over the years and boasted superior infrastructure. Most houses in the area had basic sanitation, plumbing and electricity. There were hundreds of businesses there, it had its own bus route and people actually had cable television available to them. Apparently that was all that was required to be considered more than just your average slum. Enough that it was often called a favela bairro though, or a favela neighbourhood. Basically an urbanised slum. That living conditions were still nothing compared to some of the better parts of town didn't seem to matter, nor that crime still ran rampant there as it did in much of Rio.

It had been nearly thirteen years since the criminal organisation known as Amigos dos Amigos had basically taken control of the slum. Sure, they won their support through handouts, throwing parties and providing some basic services, but they were still a criminal gang, or else they wouldn't have a hand in so many of the key drug selling points in the North and West sections of the city. City officials seemed to be either unwilling or unable to do something about them, though, seemingly content that compared to several other parts of the city, Rocinha wasn't all that bad. Compared to other favelas it was even safe enough that it had developed a tourist industry of its own, despite the safety warnings from foreign governments and the local police advising against it.

Though they supposedly had it better than people living in any of the many other favelas found in Rio de Janeiro, there was still discontent amongst Rocinha's population. Most notably, and the reason why Roberto and Calvin were currently there, was a small band of supposed mutants who had rebelled against both the local government and Amigos dos Amigos. They felt like they deserved better, and had used their mutant abilities to cause all sorts of trouble around Rocinha. Robberies, extortion, murder, acts of what could only be described as domestic terrorism... the list went on and on, and the local police was struggling to do anything to contain them. Unlike most of the people living in the favela, they were very much capable of fighting back.

Calvin couldn't honestly blame them for acting out, for wanting a better life for themselves. The desire to defend mutant rights had been the reason why he had joined the Brotherhood, and although he had long since left that group he hadn't stopped caring about that part of their cause. It was the terrorism, the willingness to kill those who stood against them, human or mutant, that he'd taken issue with. That was the only reason he was out here with his love tonight; though he couldn't fault the group for being discontent with their lot in life, or even for acting out, they were taking things too far. And since the police couldn't handle them, the government was supposedly considering bringing in the army, which would turn this into a full blown conflict between mutants and humans. Mutant-human relations in Brazil were not as shaky as they were in the United States, mostly because there just seemed to be smaller or less apparent mutant minority in the country, but this was exactly the kind of thing that could change that.

Hopefully, as fellow mutants, Calvin and Roberto could talk some sense into these people. From their actions so far it seemed unlikely that they would be willing to have a civil discourse about what did or did not help the mutant cause - it wouldn't surprise Cal if they didn't have any actual fucks to give there - but neither of them just wanted to go in there guns blazing either. That did not mean that they wouldn't be prepared to fight though, far from it. Roberto had been able to use the resources he had available to him to narrow down the group's location to an area in the northern part of Rocinha, and from there Calvin had pinpointed exactly where they were holed up. They were currently standing atop a rooftop about a block away from the gang's impromptu headquarters, making sure they were properly prepared. Namely, Calvin was using the telepathy he borrowed from Jean combined with his own mutant ability of mimicry to discern what they were dealing with. He poked through their minds, picking up what little he could in as subtle a manner as possible to avoid detection, while cycling through each of their mutations to figure out what they could do.

"Valentim Cabrera, twenty-one years old and the leader of their little gang," Calvin informed his boyfriend, his hazel eyes focused in the direction of where the group was holed up. "He's a shape-changer, he can turn into various objects or... well, shapes. Not people. He is incredibly flexible and possesses increased durability and strength too, but those aren't at a superhuman level from what I can tell." Briefly, he changed his hand into the shape of a mallet to show his boyfriend, then dropped the ability again and moved on to the next one.

"Inacio Bianchi is the youngest of the lot at sixteen years old," he started, the air seemingly heating up around Cal as he spoke. Sunspot might have been able to pick up on that with his own thermokinetic powers before Calvin actually set himself on fire. It was a good thing Jean had gotten him a uniform made out of unstable molecules for his birthday, or the Mimic would have gone into this particular situation as naked as the day he was born. "He's a pyrokinetic, but he's not very familiar with how his powers work yet. Mostly he just knows how to light parts of himself on fire and project it where he wants." He paused briefly, turning his gaze towards his boyfriend. "A pyrokinetic named Inacio? I wonder if this is what his parents had in mind when they called him that." He imagined not. The kind of life Inacio had found himself caught up in wasn't the life any parent would wish for their children.

Extinguishing his flames, Calvin released Inacio's pyrokinesis and mimicked the next mutant he picked up on. "Then there's Atília Gutiérrez, seventeen years old. He can shift himself into a gem-like substance, like Shane does." Calvin turned into a brilliant, dark purple crystalline form then, his body characterised by various sharp ridges and spikes. His unstable molecule uniform was once again coming in handy there. "No geokinetic powers, though he's likely more durable and strong than Shane is." Not quite on Piotr's level, but honestly as soon as you got even close to that strength range, every added tonne you could lift was just the proverbial icing on the cake. Even with the power that the two of them possessed, Calvin expected Atília to be problematic if this group refused to stand down.

"Finally there's Ivone Suárez," Calvin continued. "A nineteen year old photokinetic. She can likely do more than she's aware of, but she's mostly adapt at creating hard light structures. Kind of like the Danger Room does at Xavier's, but Ivone is limited to much simpler shapes that are nowhere as realistic looking. She can create basic force fields and turn herself invisible too." Holding up his hands, Calvin created a semi-transparent sphere of light, glowing a soft golden colour not dissimilar to the corona that surrounded Roberto when he was powered up. "If things go badly, and I really hope they don't, she's probably the one we should be most concerned about," he informed his boyfriend. The potential for both offence and defence that Ivone had could make for a very dangerous combination.

"I still don't feel good about this," Calvin admitted to his partner. He had his doubts before, and those doubts had only grown stronger now that he knew they were dealing with a group consisting mostly of teenagers. "Like... they're just kids. They probably just got caught up in the hopelessness of their situation, things escalated... and now they're just victims of their own circumstance." It was something that, in a way, felt very familiar to Calvin. It wasn't an excuse for what he had done before though, and it probably didn't apply to these kids either. A line had been crossed several times over, and they needed to be pulled back over that or simply be stopped. And yet... "I feel like we should be fighting Amigos dos Amigos, or do something about the way the city has neglected this favela," he added, though he knew he was arguing for something a lot more complicated than dealing with these kids, and it wasn't like tackling the bigger problem meant that a smaller one like this could just be left unattended. Cal was really just dragging his feet a little, despite knowing deep down that what they were doing was right. It seemed exactly like the sort of thing Roberto had fought for when he was an X-Man, and although Calvin had never worn the X before, he would stand by the man he loved, especially when it came to preventing something that could negatively affect human-mutant relations for an entire nation - one of the largest in the world.
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 06:21 AM

So I’m considering installing a secondary line at the estate.” Roberto spoke into the silence that had passed between him and Mimic since they have arrived, gazing out across Rocinha from his spot atop the roof of one of the many buildings. A mischievous glint was in his eye and a small smile across his lips. Turning to Calvin then, he clarified. “If Bruce Wayne gets his Batphone then I don’t see why I shouldn’t have my very own Sunspot-phone.” One hand on his hip, the Brazilian tilted his head slightly in consideration, a tanned finger stroking along his jawline as he thought. “Product name pending, of course.” This had always been his way; to make light of a serious situation as a method for calming his nerves. Roberto was, for the most part a man of confidence, but even he was wary about getting into fights and although they had not ventured over to the favela bairro looking for one, he was under no illusion that their little meeting with the band of renegade mutants was going to go ahead peacefully. These things never did.

We’re not so different, Bruce Wayne and I, after all, we’re both crazy rich and stupid pretty.” He wasn’t exactly sure if Batman had ever been described that way but Berto would look for any excuse to mention just how handsome he was. “I just need to find myself an Alfred...I wonder if good old George would be up to the task?” Giving a cheeky wink, he smiled wider this time before shrugging his shoulders and shutting up to allow his boyfriend to concentrate. They were here on serious business; it was important that they put a stop to the small group of rebels before they did any significant damage. That he and Cal were the ones to bring them down was, Roberto felt, pivotal. They were both mutants as well, so far more equipped to deal with whatever they were facing than the local police force or the army were. With their input hopefully the situation would be resolved with minimal disruption and little notice from the neighbourhood. The mutant community could do without the negative attention being drawn to them; Brazil was, for the moment, far more tolerant of those who had been born with the X-Gene but with the way things were going in the US, every day posed the threat of anti-mutant politics leaking over into South America.

There were also things that the pair could do for the group that the government might not consider or feel appropriate. Whilst Roberto believed wholeheartedly that they deserved to be punished for the crimes that they had committed, he did not believe that these people were beyond reform. They were the unfortunate consequence of their own circumstance and genetics, two factors that had been way beyond their control. Beto could not help but wonder, had his father cast him out when he came to discover his mutant abilities, if he might not have gone down the same path of violence and crime. His charities could work with them in prison and outside of it to help them to find a sense of worth and purpose that did not involve terrorising an entire population. If they were young enough, perhaps he could provide a scholarship to send one or two for training at Xavier’s. Pulling on his combat gloves as Calvin began to speak, filling him in on the identities of the group, starting first with their ring leader, he quirked an eyebrow at the changing shape of his boyfriend’s hand, shuddering ever so slightly at the sight of it.

Senhora Nossa, that’s… delightful.” He said unconvincingly; there was something just a little unnerving about a person whose body could change shape like that, Roberto couldn’t help wondering what kind of transformation was happening underneath the skin. “Twenty-one is young for being in charge. Let me guess, he’s a cocky shit.” A light snicker left his lips at Calvin’s question of a pyrokinetic called Inácio. “Nominative determinism.” He said, “Most people would argue that it’s just coincidence when a person seems to fulfill the duty of their given name. Roberto means ‘bright fame’, I’m pretty sure that alone proves that the science is sound.” His thermokinetic sense twitched at the feeling of the flame that Cal produced, his body drawing the heat away without him even trying; he had yet to gain any real control over his newest power but at least he wasn’t almost burning places down when he got upset anymore. “Ooh Cally, you’re shiny.” He exclaimed as Mimic dropped the pyrokinesis and replaced it with a gem-like form, the lights from the hundreds of nearby houses reflecting off of him in places.

He only nodded his head when his boyfriend went on to explain the powers belonging to the only girl in the group. “She’s all yours then meu amor. I’d really rather not have my ass handed to me.” With the potential for both a strong offence and defense from Ivone, Roberto was not shy in admitting that Calvin might likely be the better prepared for dealing with her. Not that he was at all happy about having to ‘deal’ with anyone. Taking hold of his boyfriend’s hand as Mimic expressed his concerns about the whole situation, he gave it a light squeeze. A particularly light squeeze given that his gloves were reinforced; a healing factor Cal might have had but Berto didn’t need to put that to the test by breaking a few of his fingers. “I’ve seen this a hundred times before, querido.” He tried to reassure his boyfriend. “Small street gangs armed to the teeth and populated by angry, disillusioned teens.” His charity worked to keep kids from joining those groups and to help others get out. “I would bet my fortune that the only real bad person in that building is Valentim Cabrera.

He heaved a heavy sigh. “I have spent much of my life wishing I could do more.” Roberto might have been a playboy who delighted in spending his fortune on ridiculous things but it didn’t mean that he didn’t have a sense of civic duty. “I wish it was a simple as throwing money at the situation or shouting at the right people but politics here in Brazil are tricky.” He scratched the back of his head awkwardly. He should probably have considered the less fortunate people of his home country when he’d decided that the best place to hide out for a month was a fifty thousand dollar a night penthouse hotel suite. “These kids, they don’t stand for anything Cally.” He added, “They’re committing crimes for no other reason than that they can. I know it’s not as black and white as that but they need to be stopped before they cause problems for the wider mutant community.” He really did love how passionately his love supported the rights of mutants in a world where they were, more often than not, seen a lesser people but there was a point at which simply trying to understand was not enough. “Terrorising innocent people is not a way to get people to listen. It only fosters hate.

Taking hold of the chain around his neck Roberto did what he always did before a mission, kissing the platinum crucifix he muttered a short prayer that all would go well and that should it not for the safety and protection of all involved. “We can’t put this off any longer.” He said, powering up and almost completely disappearing into the darkness of the late hour. White eyes shone out from the shadow before he realised that he was perhaps being a little hasty and dropped his Sunspot form, blinking across at his boyfriend. “Uh so, you’re the telepath. How do you recommend we approach them? Just knock on the door and introduce ourselves?
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 12:44 PM

A small smile crossed Calvin's face as Sunspot took his hand reasoned with him why making sure this gang of mutants was stopped was the right thing to do. His boyfriend was right, of course, Calvin knew that and had considered most of the arguments the man brought forth himself already. It just wasn't until Roberto offered his reasoning that Calvin could fully accept the necessity of the two of them stepping in before this got even further out of hand. "You're right, of course," Calvin agreed with him. "About everything, especially about Valentim Cabrera being the only real bad person in there." Calvin had not liked what he seen in that man's mind. "Except you might be wrong in that they do stand for something, or at least three of them think they do. They believe that their actions mean they are standing up for themselves, both as mutants and as residents of Rocinha." It was something that Calvin could sympathise with, and at the same time recognised as the potential problem it posed. From what little he had been able to glean from their minds, they would not be so easily swayed from their course. "They don't see that all they're accomplishing is fostering hatred, like you said," he added. "Except possibly Valentim, but he simply doesn't seem to give a fuck."

When Roberto briefly powered up, only to power down immediately and ask him what he thought would be the best approach to the situation, Calvin turned his gaze back towards the building the foursome was holed up in and frowned. "I can read their minds, but I can't predict their behaviour. Not reliably, anyway." Would that he could, but that would require closer proximity and more time than they likely had, with an added risk of his less subtle means of telepathic probing not going unnoticed. "You should power up, though" he instructed his boyfriend. "They are likely to respond more positively towards other mutants." And when powered up, the fact that Roberto was a mutant was unmistakable. It was something that delighted Calvin, finding the expression of his boyfriend's mutation and the display of his power to be very attractive, even if it did hide his beautiful features. "As for how we approach this, if we could manage to expose Valentim for what he is, that could mean whatever hold he has over the other three could disappear." It wouldn't be easy to accomplish, Calvin was pretty sure that all four of these kids had known each other for a long time, but it was the only way he could think of on such short notice that wouldn't involve just beating the lot of them into submission.

"One more thing." Calvin held up a finger, in case his boyfriend had decided that now was the time to fly off. "If you are to be Rio's very own Batman, I am not going to be your sidekick." This seemed trivial to mention, at least at a time like this, but what Roberto had told him before Calvin had done his telepathic recon had been playing in the back of his mind. "But I do actually think that's a good idea. Imagine the mutants we could help out around the city if people had a way of getting in touch with us about potential mutant incidents." Calvin had absolutely no interest in directly helping the local government or the police force, but if it meant helping mutants like them he would gladly commit to what Roberto had (mostly) teasingly proposed earlier.

"But you're right. First things first." There was no point to postponing dealing with Valentim Cabrera and his misguided friends. They weren't likely to run off anytime soon to commit any more crimes, or at least Calvin hadn't sensed any such intent, but he just wanted to be done with this. Taking a step closer to his once again powered up boyfriend, using his right hand to tilt the man's chin up and leaning down a little to kiss him. "For good luck," he claimed, smiling slyly before stepping away from his boyfriend again and turning from flesh into organic steel, his unstable molecules accommodating for the sudden increase in height and mass.

"Oh, and Calvin means "bald"," he informed his boyfriend as he stepped towards the side of the building they were on. "Your theory about nominative determinism holds no ground." His hair was luscious, and Calvin was convinced he would eventually go from being the handsome young man he was now to becoming a real silver fox. That he would forever maintain his good looks was the only kind of determinism that Calvin Rankin would subscribe to.

Having just given up the only real reliable method of flying when he let go of his boyfriend's powers, Jean's telekinesis just being too slow for his liking, Calvin instead tapped into the last ability he had mimicked. The photokinetic powers Ivone Suárez possessed allowed her to create a variety of light constructs, including floating platforms like the ones Calvin created then to make his way to the building across the street from where he and Roberto had been standing. From there, he simply jumped off the side of the building, using his telekinetic ability to slow himself down enough to avoid making a crater in the ground and possibly drawing more attention to himself than he would like.

That landed him right next to the building the four gang members were in, as well as next to his boyfriend whose superior speed in flight had carried him there quicker than Calvin could make it there. Cal considered that perhaps next time he should simply ask his boyfriend to carry him, something he was sure the man would do without hesitation. "Here we go," Calvin said as he approached the back door of the building, heaving a sigh before giving a loud knock on the door. He considered calling out "Hello, this is not the police!" in Portuguese, but opted out of doing so and instead did not say anything. Cocking his head slightly, Calvin reached out telepathically again and came to a quick conclusion. "They are hesitant," he informed Roberto, "they won't just come to see who's at the door." Which, considering what they had been up to lately, made perfect sense.

Taking a step back, Calvin gestured towards the door, letting his boyfriend know that it was his show now. He was a far more capable speaker of Portuguese, actually being a native speaker instead of just hitching along on someone else's knowledge of the language like he was, and a very capable businessman to boot. Perhaps using that sharp mind and silver tongue of his would get them in. If that failed, Roberto would be just as capable of simply kicking in the door as Calvin was.
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Apr 25 2018, 09:45 AM

Right.” Assuming his Sunspot form once again, Roberto flashed a bright white smile at his boyfriend. Calvin was right, of course, these kids would trust a mutant far more than a human, without a doubt. It just felt a little strange to him, powering up to knock on a door or say hello- they certainly weren’t going to lead with blowing the door off its hinges- and that was just it, Sunspot was built for strength, for breaking things. He rarely took his empowered form for anything other than a fight. This was going to be a novel experience. “Expose Valentim for the asshole he is? Easy.” Came his reply to Cal’s suggestion of how to relinquish the older man’s hold of his teenage followers. “I have been told by one or two people that I have a knack for bringing out the worst in people. Something to do with my smug, rich person face.” That he was exceptionally proud of that assessment would probably not surprise Cal. “Okay, so maybe you should do all of the talking.” Never mind the fact that the likelihood that the kids would speak any English at all was particularly low. Telepathy was a great translator but nothing beat actual fluency. Waving his hand in a gesture that suggested they would work it out as they went along, Roberto made a step towards the rooftop ledge. He didn’t need to leap off of the building to take off but he preferred the drama.

Pausing as his boyfriend held up a finger Sunspot turned back to Mimic, the questioning expression on his face lost to darkness. His jaw hung slack in mock incredulity as Cal stated that he would not be the sidekick to his Batman persona. “But Cally, every Batman needs his Robin, and I bet you’d look cute in tights and a cape.” He wasn’t being serious, of course he wasn’t but he’d say just about anything to encourage a rise out of his love. He hadn’t expected his joke from earlier to give Calvin real pause for thought though and as he considered what the pair could do for the mutants residing in Rio de Janeiro, he clucked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. “I am not even sure how many mutants there are in the city, Cal. We don’t seem to have too many problems concerning them down here. Not like in New York.” There was no Brotherhood in Brazil to stomp around like spoiled children and ruin things for everyone else. He’d never really been a part of the community in South America either, not in the same way that he had belonged to the mutant community in the north. The only mutants that he knew of out of the two hundred million people in Brazil were Matthew and Hugo. He supposed young Amara sort of counted but she was a charlatan Brazilian at best.

He was still considering this when Calvin stepped forwards, tilting his chin with the delicate touch of his hand. His boyfriend often initiated kisses in this manner, a habit that Roberto enjoyed immensely. Leaning in, he pushed himself up on his tiptoes ever so slightly, smiling as the kiss broke. That smile swiftly became a pout though as he watched Mimic step away and turn to organic steel. There was something just a little unfair about Cal getting a kiss from his powered up self but Berto not being afforded the same. Even if the added nine inches on his love’s height would probably mean he’d have to literally climb him just to get that kiss. Or fly, but where was the fun in that? “Luck? C’mon meu amor. We don’t need it.” He said, with a smile before his eyes went wide. “Actually! I think I’m going to need all the luck I can get. Plant another one on me, quick.” But joking as he was, he didn’t actually go in for another kiss, instead standing up on the ledge of the roof once more, staring out across the maze of buildings. His attention caught once more by Calvin speaking up, he blinked in confusion as the other man pointed out the meaning of his name. Oh. Nominative determinism. Cal wasn’t happy with what his name said about him.

Eh, I wouldn’t rush to dismiss my theory so quickly, Cally. Just you wait, fifty year old you might turn out to be as bald as the palm of my hand!” He called after his boyfriend as he jumped from the building and headed over to their target destination. Chuckling to himself Roberto did the same, swan diving from the roof in a spectacularly over dramatic fashion and flying after Cal, passing him on the way. Landing next to the building that the gang had taken up residence inside of, Berto crossed his arms over his chest and waited for Mimic to catch up. When his love eventually landed he was met with yet another smile. “Did you not consider mimicking me for the flight?” He asked with a playfully teasing tone. “That-” he gestured, “That did not seem particularly efficient.” One eye disappearing completely for a brief moment as he winked, Roberto stepped back. He was giving Calvin full leadership control over this one, feeling that dealing with the three teenage criminals probably meant a lot more to the Jersey boy than it did him. When he knocked, Sunspot drew in a deep breath, clapping his hands together at the exhale just to fill the silence.

Hesitant, huh?” He added helpfully once Cal had done a telepathic sweep of the four inside. Surprised when the other man gestured for him to approach the door he added, “Wait what do you think I can do that’s gonna be any different?” If they weren’t going to answer the door to Mimic then he couldn’t see any reason why they’d come running to him, it wasn’t like door knocks could sound more approachable. Shrugging his shoulders he stepped forward. Wrapping his knuckles on the metal, he cleared his throat and said the first thing that came to mind. “<Hey, it’s Roberto da Costa here, Rio’s resident dashingly handsome, solar powered mutant! Open up, I’ve uh…>” He paused for consideration. “<I really admire what you guys are trying to achieve here.>” Lies. “<So I… I have a business proposition for you. I wish to speak to Valentim Cabrera.>” Turning to Cal, Roberto shrugged. This was the first time in his whole career that he had rocked up on mission to just knock on a criminal’s door, he had absolutely no idea what he was doing.
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: May 1 2018, 03:17 PM

Called out by his boyfriend about not mimicking his mutation so he could fly, Calvin crossed his arms and regarded Beto for a moment before responding. "You take the fact that you have constant access to your ability for granted," he pointed out to Sunspot. "Whenever I drop your mutation to pick up something else, all solar energy goes with it." Perhaps if he had something like Cyclops' powers as well that wouldn't be an issue, but since none of his other abilities used solar power to fuel them, his body couldn't retain what he'd absorbed. "That--" Calvin nodded up in the direction he'd come from, "--was a lot more efficient than just plummeting off a roof." Granted he had actually pretty much done exactly that just now, but it had been in a more calculated manner than it would have been had he expected to fly and found himself unable to.

Stepping back then to let his boyfriend do the talking, Calvin shrugged lightly when Roberto wondered what he could do differently. "Be a native Portuguese speaker?" That was really the main reason for it, with Calvin figuring that Roberto had a much better way with words than he did in his native language. Calvin knew how to appeal to people with his words and charm, it was something he had used to make a very comfortable living for several years, but even with his telepathy Portuguese did not come anywhere near as easily to him as it did to his love. Of course he had imagined that Beto would come up with something better than he ended up with, but then Calvin wasn't sure what he would have said either, so he couldn't fault his boyfriend for his choice of words. "Is the business proposition going to be "Please stop, maybe go to prison"?" he wondered quietly. That was the only approach he could think of currently, because as much as Cal sympathised with these kids, he wasn't blind to the fact that they were only doing damage to the mutant cause with their actions. There was activism, and then there was just plain terror, and what these four had been up to definitely counted as the latter.

"Do you really think fifty year old me is going to be bald?" This was not important right now, of course, but Calvin was not without his vanity and there was a brief lull to fill as the kids inside figured out what to do about who was at their door. "Wait, I have a healing factor," he added then, somehow sounding as if that just hadn't occurred to him before. It was just not something he gave too much thought to generally, though, considering it was an ability he'd had since he was eleven years old. "Fifty year old me is pretty much going to be this--" Cal gestured at himself, sounding rather smug. "--but perhaps even more ruggedly handsome." It was hard to imagine, but Calvin liked to think he was not yet at peak attractiveness. Though the sudden realisation that came with his statement, that he would remain young and virile while Roberto would age normally did unexpectedly drag Calvin's mood way down, though there was no time for him to consider that fully as the door was opened for them.

Inacio Bianchi was not particularly tall for his age, and years of less than stellar nutrition had left him looking a bit on the thin side. Dark brown eyes peered through the cracked door, widening slightly at the sight of the two rather imposing looking mutants standing outside. One a seven foot tall giant made entirely out of metal, the other cloaked completely in darkness. Inacio had seen an obvious mutation like theirs before, with Atília's dark purple crystalline form just as impressive as Roberto and Calvin's mutations in its own way, but he wasn't all that familiar with mutants in general and seeing those two made an impression on the kid to say the least. "<W-what kind of business proposition?>" Inacio wondered, parroting what Valentim must have told him just a moment ago. "<You're not with the army, are you?>" he wondered almost immediately after, before either of the men would have a chance to respond to his first question. This one was all his own, coming from that part of him that wasn't so sure about the things he had been doing recently.

"<We're not>" Calvin was quick to assure the kid, offering him a smile. "<I'm not actually a big fan of the authorities.>" Calvin could appreciate the necessity of their job, but his own experience with authority had left him feeling at least a bit soured on the concept. "<As for the business proposal...>" Calvin turned his attention towards his boyfriend then, metallic brows slightly raised. This would be as good a time as any to come forth with something good. He fully trusted his boyfriend to deal with this properly, because while Calvin could deeply empathise with a couple of kids who felt lost and made some very bad life choices because of it, Roberto actually had some experience working with kids who came from similar backgrounds. Just... with added superpowers and a recent spree of oft violent crimes.
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: May 8 2018, 05:50 AM

Had Roberto’s features been at all distinguishable beneath the blackness that overcame his entire body when he became Sunspot, Cally might have noticed the little flush of embarrassment as his mistake was pointed out to him. Despite highlighting to his love only a week ago when Mimic had tried to show off in front of the kids, that with his mutation solar power was required to sustain flight, he had quite forgotten this himself. It was easy to take for granted when it was just something that his body always did; that part of his powerset could not be turned off, at least not by him anyway. Choosing not to address that particular error on his part, Roberto leaned against the wall as he waited for the group inside to respond to his bogus request for them to hear out his proposition. Folding his arms over his chest, he watched his boyfriend through glowing white eyes as he considered Beto’s tease about his baldness. A soft smile crossed his lips as the Mimic remembered his healing factor; ah the benefits of a body that rejected aging.

Roberto would have paid handsomely for a power like that even if he was convinced that getting older wasn’t going to be to his detriment at least in the looks department. He might have been the only twenty something in the world that wasn’t afraid of going grey; his father had lived well into his sixties and as far as he could remember there hadn’t been a wrinkle on him. That the man he loved was going to live a much longer, healthier life than him was something that he had briefly considered before then; he’d seen Cal heal and that on its own had been enough to spark the realisation that he would eventually grow old and die whilst Mimic remained young. More than the fact that it would mean that he would go long before Calvin did, that he would likely lose his appeal years before that was even harder for Roberto to handle. He couldn’t expect a man who still had his youth to want to be with him when he was eighty, frail and suffering with his memory.

The less we say about what fifty year old you is going to look like, meu amor, the better.” He said quietly, he wasn’t about to make a thing out of it; whilst Cal had chosen his healing factor and could lose it any time he wished, it was not for Roberto to ask that of him and he wouldn’t. They’d just have to make the most out of the time that they did have, just like any other couple would; the future wasn’t certain for anyone, healing factor or no. The sound of the door opening broke any tension that had begun to build and the Brazilian pushed himself away from the wall to stand next to Calvin. His brow creased with sympathy as he watched Inácio Bianchi’s eyes go wide at the sight of the both of them. He had never known what it felt like not to know mutants; after he had manifested he had almost immediately been taken to live at Xavier’s and his formative years had been spent in the company of mutants exclusively. It was sad that the only ones of his kind that this boy had ever known the company of were the three others who resided within those four walls. Even sadder still that his first assumption was that they could be working for the army.

<Had a few run ins with the Polícia myself.>” He added to Calvin’s reassurance that he was not a fan of the authorities. He had, but mostly for drunk and disorderlies, certainly never for anything worse. “<Can’t say I’d work for the Federales for all of the money in the world.>” He further stated, mixing a healthy dose of pop culture Spanglish into his words. As for the business proposal, well that had just been a way to get Valentim to open the door, when Mimic turned his attention towards him, eyebrows raised, Roberto worked hard not to shoot him a look that read “what?” instead smiling at the teenage boy with as much charm as he could muster. Cally really was putting a lot of faith in him to just talk them out of a potentially violent situation but honestly, as good as he was at business, there were an awful lot of additional forces at work behind a successful negotiation. None of which the businessman had at his disposal late at night in the middle of Rocinha. Neither did he have as much experience with troubled young people as he imagined his boyfriend thought, and frankly the whole situation was making him nervous.

Placing a hand on the door, Sunspot kept his smile fixed in place but his expression gave away the fact that he wasn’t there to mess around. Should the teen try to close the door again, he would have found that he could not, as firmly as the super strong mutant had hold of it. “<I’m afraid that I will speak only to Valentim Cabrera.>” He demanded, “<And if he’s half the man he thinks he is then he will agree to see me.>” When the boy did not move, a soft sigh left Roberto’s lips as he lifted the door off of its hinges with barely any effort at all and placed it delicately against the outside wall, taking Inácio with it for a couple of steps before his brain caught up and he took his hand from the doorknob. “<It’s okay, we’ll see ourselves in.>” Turning to Calvin, he grimaced in that way that said “I don’t know” before making his way into the building. Forcing their way in was perhaps not the best approach to keeping things civil but in lieu of actually making up an actual business proposition for Valentim to consider it felt like their only option.

<Valentim, you didn’t strike me as the type to let a boy do your talking for you. How disappointed I am.>” He called out into the small space. The oldest of the group wasn’t present in the first room, neither were the other two. “<Mimic and I have some things we’d like to discuss.>” Silence followed his words and once again Roberto found himself turning to his boyfriend with a shrug. ::Where is he, meu amor?:: He asked, coming to a stop by a makeshift, paneless window. On Calvin’s direction he nodded and headed for one of two doors. Almost suddenly Inácio was on his heels. “<You’ll see him when he says it’s okay.>” He snapped, his voice full of confident authority, his chest puffed out, his hands ablaze. Arching an eyebrow, the action only visible in the changing shape of his eyes, Roberto considered the pyrokinetic for a moment. He didn’t have much control of his own thermokinesis yet but he was well aware of the fact that it made him perfectly immune to heat. Poor Inácio, he wasn’t to know. Taking hold of the boy’s arm, his hands seemingly untouched by the flame, he pulled him out of their path like a parent guiding a small child.

<Please don’t stand in our way.>” He chastised. “<We’re not here to cause conflict. We just want to talk.>” For now.
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: May 18 2018, 01:29 PM

Watching how Roberto handled the situation with Inacio, Calvin realised that perhaps he had placed a bit too much faith in his boyfriend. The man's experience at business and what he had done for the kids in his Favela Street program had left him thinking that Beto would handle this no problem, but how he dealt with Inacio and the few looks he cast towards Cal along the way made it clear that he wasn't sure what to do here and was just making things up along the way. It was not particularly helpful that Inacio seemed to have no intent on making this easy for the two of them, insisting they not speak to Valentim until the man said it was okay, yet making no attempt to facilitate any sort of meeting. He really just seemed intent on being in the way.

The casual way in which Roberto dealt with Inacio's stubborn interference in their attempt to see Valentim amused Calvin. The Mimic did not like the idea of using any kind of force to deal with a confused sixteen year old, but while Beto employed his vast strength, he did so in a way that not only spared Inacio any harm but looked rather comical as well. At maybe five-foot one, Inacio was not particularly tall for his age, and seeing him being tugged along with the door as Roberto effortlessly moved it aside drew a brief smirk across Cal's face. Looking down at the kid as he walked past him, entering the building just after his boyfriend, Calvin shrugged his shoulders lightly, as if to communicate that there wasn't really a way of stopping Berto when he set his mind on something.

When Beto's familiar mental voice rang through his mind, asking him where Valentim was, Cal briefly cocked his head to get a good read on the man. He had already been aware of his presence, as well as the two other mutants that were with him, but pinpointing their location took a fraction more effort. ::The door on the left:: Cal informed his boyfriend after a second, moving to follow him through it but coming to a halt instead when Inacio once again attempted to stop them from seeing Valentim. Calvin was not concerned about what the kid would do to his boyfriend, knowing that Roberto would be immune to his flames, but the fact that Inacio - who had no clue about the full scope of Beto's mutation - was apparently ready to employ his pyrokinetic ability to try and block them from proceeding was slightly disconcerting. It made Cal wonder if Inacio had always been like this, or if Valentim had fostered enough loyalty and anger in the boy that he'd let it come to this.

:: Do we really though?:: Calvin spoke to Roberto alone when he once again assured Inacio that they just wanted to talk. ::I don't like what's happening here. Valentim seems to have a lot of sway over the kid, I can see it in his mind. If the other two are at all similar, we could be in for it.:: And Cal would be lying if he said he wasn't at least considering going the less diplomatic route just so he could smack Valentim upside the head. He wasn't a fan of mutant-on-mutant violence, but sometimes the situation called for an exception to that.

If it were up to Inacio, they would get exactly that before they even got to Valentim. Set aside twice now by Roberto, the young pyrokinetic still refused to give up and just let the pair see the leader of the gang he was a part of. Balled hands burning more brightly than before, Inacio stepped towards Roberto again but found his attempt to see if he could burn the man by applying more heat cut short. All of a sudden his feet were no longer in contact with the ground, and he found that no matter how much he flailed he could not get any closer. "<I am pretty sure Mr. Costa insisted that we avoid conflict>" Calvin reminded the teenager, one hand held out towards Inacio as he suspended him several inches off the ground with his telekinesis. He would have told him to behave and set him down again, but after repeatedly failing to concede Cal felt like he needed a time out. "<I'll make sure this one here keeps out of trouble>" Cal assured his boyfriend then, his attention remaining focused on the frustrated Inacio, who was giving Calvin quite the lesson on how to swear in Portuguese.

Following his boyfriend through the door, Calvin quirked his eyebrows slightly as the room they were in looked to be devoid of any of the mutants they were supposed to find in there. Others might have been fooled, but Ivone's photokinetic tricks didn't work quite as well on someone who took in the world with far more than just his eyes. His innate mutant ability picked up on all three of their mutant signatures, and neither his telepathy nor his enhanced senses of smell or hearing were fooled. Even Ivone's own mutation, the one Calvin still had mimicked, betrayed her. While not powerful enough to overcome the young woman's bending of the light, Cal was very much aware of the fact that it was happening. ::All three of them are in here:: he quickly informed Roberto. ::Ivone is bending the light to make them appear invisible, but they're still here:: And from what Calvin could tell they were not at all happy that they had visitors, particularly the one and only Roberto da Costa.

"<We know you're here, Valentim>" Calvin spoke up. "<So let's drop the disappearing act and let's talk about what you've been doing around Rocinha.>" A topic he was sure none of them had any interest in discussing with outsiders like them, but neither Cal or Berto were intent on leaving before this matter had been dealt with. As a sign of goodwill, Calvin set Inacio back down on the ground, giving him a look that made it clear that he'd go right up in the air again if he once again failed to stay out of the way. Hopefully being set straight three times in the span of just a few minutes had taught young Inacio a lesson.

"<Fine>." Valentim's voice came out of nowhere, the man himself reappearing a moment later as Ivone stopped bending the light around the three of them. He stood slightly shorter than Roberto, his black hair unkempt and his features harsh. The clothes he wore were beyond what you'd expect from someone like him, no doubt something he'd stolen during his group's reign of terror in Rocinha. Ivone stood to his left, a rather plain looking brunette with a heavily freckled face and clothes that like Valentim's were obviously much nicer than anything she'd ever been able to afford. Atília stood a foot taller than either of them, his clothes stretched around his large, crystalline form. He was an imposing looking young man, reminiscent of Shane but more powerfully built.

"<I don't believe you>" Valentim spoke up then, immediately setting the tone for their interaction at "kind of hostile". "<You admire what we're doing? You have a business proposition for us? Lies. As if the great Roberto da Costa has a single fuck to give about people like us.>" Valentim practically spat out Roberto's name, making it pretty evident he knew of the billionaire and leaving no doubt that he was not a fan. "<You're only here to stop what we're doing from spreading beyond Rocinha and into your life of luxury and excess. But we won't stop. What we stand for...>"

"<Is nothing>" Calvin interrupted Valentim, his tone sharp. "<You're terrorising innocent people. Committing robberies and murders, and all you're accomplishing is making things worse. Will you stand up for the people who live here? Because that's what this man here is doing."> Calvin gestured towards Roberto briefly before continuing. "<We both are. Because someone has to do something to keep the authorities from sending in the army and leveling the entire neighbourhood trying to get to you. God knows you won't actually stand up for anyone, because what you're doing is exactly the kind of stupid shit someone would do when they fail to consider anyone but themselves">

For a moment that left Valentim silent, his eyes narrowing at the foreigner who had the nerve to get himself involved in his business. He did not bother to try and dispute Calvin's claims, either because he couldn't or just because he didn't care to try. His gaze simply shifted up to meet Atília's and he spoke four simple words. "<Get rid of them.>" The crystalline mountain of a man did not need to be told twice and immediately charged towards Calvin and Roberto. Assuming that his boyfriend knew better than to stay in the path of someone that strong, Cal braced himself for impact. He was pretty sure he didn't have the strength to compete with Atília, but between his durability and healing factor he was better equipped to deal with him than Beto was. Staying in place was his way of making himself the more obvious target, leaving Roberto to figure out how to deal with the others. Calvin would have his back, of course, but first he'd take care of Atília by... being knocked right off his feet and through three thick stone walls, because apparently that was the kind of muscle the crystal giant was packing.

::I'm fine:: Calvin assured Roberto as he finally managed to regain his footing, using Atília's momentum against him to throw him over his shoulder and into what Cal assumed was the one wall they hadn't crashed through yet. ::Sorry about leaving you with Ivone, bonito, but you'll be fine.:: The girl had a versatile mutation, sure, but Calvin wouldn't hesitate to wager that Sunspot's experience was far beyond anything she had and packed more than enough power to make good use of that advantage. And as soon as Calvin could get Atília to stop trying to dent his metallic form, he'd be right there with him to lend his assistance.
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Jun 2 2018, 02:03 PM

Roberto rolled his eyes. So he was a terrible liar, it wasn’t like he had said any of the things that had been yelled through the door in any effort to be believed, he had just wanted a way in and it had worked hadn’t it? And there was Valentim acknowledging his greatness at least so there was that. “<Do I detect just a hint of derision in your words, Valentim?>” He asked once the room fell silent, not really interested in the answer. “<Oh, I’m sorry. Derision, it means, you know, mockery, ridicule. Basically I’m getting a strong impression that you don’t like me very much.>” The other man’s contempt did not come as any surprise to Berto; his tendency towards excess was no secret and well documented in Brazilian tabloids, it stood to reason that someone who had grown up in abject poverty would resent him for that. It was a difficult balancing act between living the life he had been lucky enough to be born to and enjoying himself, and using his wealth and connections to help those in need. People like Valentim Cabrera would hate him no matter what he did; he either didn’t care or he was making pet projects out of the poor.

Four simple words put a stop to their conversation and white eyes went wide as Atília Gutiérrez charged at him and Calvin without hesitation. Roberto was strong but he was almost certain he didn’t stand a chance against the seventeen year old. As big as his ego was, Sunspot knew when to get out of the way so he propelled himself into the air as the gem covered boy drew closer, spinning in time to see his boyfriend put through three thick walls with as little effort as if they were made of card. “Cal!” He cried out reflexively despite the telepathic reassurance that his love was okay. His heart had dropped into his stomach as heavy as stone. Beto had never fought alongside someone that he loved as much as Mimic and it wasn’t easy to watch him take such a hard hit. He wanted to go after the pair, to see for himself that Calvin was okay, to pull Atilia off of him by his ankles and throw him through a wall. Except that he knew he was no match for the seventeen year old and that his boyfriend stood a better chance. And he hadn’t come there to fight with children.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Roberto whipped around to face the three who remained in the room with him, a wild and angry expression clear in his white stare. “<You don’t need to do this.>” He urged Ivone, he didn’t want to fight her and he was sure that she did not want it either. An almost imperceptible movement of Valentim’s eyes changed that though, forcing a sigh from Roberto’s lips as she started forward. “You really are an asshole, Cabrera.>” He snarled, “<You should be fighting your own battles instead of making soldiers of children.>” His eyes were on the nineteen year old photokinetic now, his mind racing to think of a way to subdue her without causing any harm. Roberto wasn’t worried about himself; he had been up against far, far worse in his time and come out of the other side alive. The risk of a few bruises or broken bones wasn’t enough to deter him from facing off against the girl, but it was important to him that she could see that he and Calvin were good men, that ultimately they just wanted to help.

As the girl advanced, she vanished, manipulating the light around her to become invisible. Concern flashed across Roberto’s expression; he knew which direction she was coming from but had no way of knowing when she would almost certainly change course, or where to. Launching himself from standing into flight, Sunspot hovered in the air as high as the ceilings in the room would allow. This did not put him entirely out of striking range but felt better than the alternative. If he was lucky Ivone would not yet be skilled enough in the use of her powers to use more than one at once and she would now need to do something other than be invisible to reach more than just his ankles. “<Ivone please.>” He pleaded with the girl, “<I was telling the truth. We really are here to talk. I really do want to help you. To negotiate some way out of this mess for you, Atília and Inácio.>” Screw Cabrera, Roberto wanted nothing to do with him once this whole ordeal was over, he could rot in a jail cell.

A flicker of light, a movement in their still surroundings, a moment of hesitation on Ivone’s part was enough to give the solar powered mutant some idea of where the girl was. Although she quickly disappeared entirely from view once more, Roberto was almost certain she was not aware of her mistake. Seemingly keeping his attention elsewhere he focused out of the corner of his eye on the place where she had been and the space nearest to him where he expected her to end up. The whole thing played out in seconds although it felt as though the moment dragged out for hours. He knew he would take a hit, but determining the when or the how was impossible. The girl’s sudden reappearance in the instant before she threw her forcefield out wide was his only warning. Struck by her attack, the creation of a solid force between she and him sending him off balance, Roberto skidded backwards through the air. But his knowing where she was going to hit had left him at least a little prepared, he had been able to brace himself and she had made the wrong choice by using her shield.

Force-fields were not impenetrable, Roberto knew that much from his years of training. Sure, they were incredibly durable and a useful form of defence; it took a great deal of energy to breach the protective barrier. But of course, drawing his power from the sun meant that Sunspot had a vast amount of power at his disposal, his thermo-concussive blasts had twenty tonnes of weight behind them. It wouldn’t take long for him to break through. He didn’t want to attack Ivone but if she was going to use her force-fields against him then he would. Roberto also needed to get closer to her, to overcome her for long enough that he had the room to talk some sense into the girl. She was the eldest of the group, if Cabrera’s little gang was all that she had then she would look upon Atília and Inácio as brothers. He just had to appeal to that to get her to see that by choosing to align with Valentim, she had done the exact opposite of what was best for her and the boys. Once more Ivone threw her force-field wide, hitting Sunspot hard, causing him to descend until he was only inches from the ground.

As he moved, the Brazilian threw his arms out sending a blast of thermoconcussive energy towards the barrier, it struck, forcing light to ripple along its surface. But just as he was about to release a second attack, burning hands caught hold of his middle, pulling him backwards, diverting his focus. He did not feel the heat of Inácio’s attack and he was more than strong enough to remove the boy, but Roberto didn’t want to hurt him, and the distraction had left him wide open to further assault from Ivone or worse Cabrera, the only person in the room that he was certain would not hesitate to use deadly force. Taking hold of the pyrokinetic’s hands, he pulled them away from his waist, dropping one of them, he pulled the boy around until they were facing one another. It put Inácio in between himself and Ivone, a cheap move using a child as a shield but it wasn’t entirely intentional. “<Inácio, I know you don’t really want anyone to get hurt. You have to stop. Ivone too. I can help you.>
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Jun 4 2018, 09:46 AM

"Please don't do this," Calvin pleaded with Atília as the large teenager got back on his feet. He spoke in English this time, despite being fairly sure Atília did not speak the language, simply because drawing upon Sunspot's knowledge of Portuguese while they were separated and both of them were engaged with an opponent did not come so easily to him. "<You can't win this>" he managed then. While clearly not as physically strong as the teenager, Calvin was confident that his experience and versatility gave him a definite edge. It was just not an edge he had any interest in using, because he had not come out here to beat up a seventeen year old. "<We are not the enemy,>" he added, "<Valentim is.>"

"<Valentim is looking out for us!>" Atília snapped back angrily as he charged towards Calvin again, fully relying on his incredible strength without any concern for using it effectively. Without a place like Xavier's to teach him anything about how to handle himself in combat, that sort of approach was all that Atília knew. Until that evening it had always been enough to deal with police and the like, but Calvin used the edge in speed and agility that the powers he had mimicked from Beast over a decade ago granted him to simply dodge out of the way. When a massive fist was swung in his direction in an attempt to intercept him, Cal ducked to avoid that too. Calvin did not tire easily in general, and even less so when transformed into metal, so he could keep this up all night if he had to.

"What has he--" Cal started in English again, catching himself this time and focusing hard on saying it in Portuguese instead. "<What has he done for you?>" he asked the large, crystalline teenager. "<Teach you violence? Make the people in your community fear you more than they already do? Put you on a collision course with the military that will tear this neighbourhood apart?>" He could go on but Calvin was sure he was getting his point across. They weren't even necessarily things he knew Valentim was guilty of, he was mostly listing a few of the negative aspects of the Brotherhood and applying them to the kid. Because that was the type that Cabrera struck him as, without any of the ideals that had drawn Calvin towards becoming a member of the organisation.

Cal's words seemed to cause Atília a moment to hesitate for a moment, his jagged facial features betraying his confusion. It was only just a moment though, the crystalline mutant resuming his attempt to crush the metallic man like Valentim had told him to. "<We don't have anything else!>" he called out angrily as he took another swing at Calvin, his words betraying that his allegiance to Cabrera might not be as solid as his willingness to act on the man's behalf suggested. His aim was off as it had been before, with Calvin still proving too fast for Atília. But despite his lack of experience Atília wasn't completely stupid. He followed his attempted blow against Calvin up with another one immediately, striking where he suspected Cal might end up. His guess was correct, his fist struck Calvin just as the mimic was trying to reason with him some more.

"<We can help-->" was all that he managed to get out before Atília's fist connected with his face. The force was enough to knock him down, giving Atília a chance to grab onto the back of his head, slam him face first into the concrete floor a few times before hurling him right back through the hole they'd made when Atília had charged at him moments before. Calvin bounced across the concrete twice, leaving quite a dent in it both times, before coming to a skidding stop not far from where Roberto was dealing with Ivone and Inacio. "These children are not good at listening," Calvin commented wearily. "I am this close to taking off the kid gloves and just--"

Before Calvin had a chance to finish his sentence, the rapidly approaching Atília demanded his attention as he stomped towards him and more or less launched into the air with the intent of slamming right down on top of Calvin. He didn't get that far, suddenly finding himself suspended in mid-air thanks to Cal's telekinetic powers.
"<Valentim is leading you to an early death, or at best a lifetime spent in prison!>" he called out to the crystalline teenager, but his words would be heard by the other three delinquents as well. "<Roberto can help you, but not if you keep fighting. He has money, you know that, and unlike what Valentim would like you to think he does not just use it to serve his own needs. He'd use it to help you.>" And although it was a tall task to use it to aid kids who had done what these three had done, Calvin actually believed that Beto could make a difference here. Cal was a former terrorist and likely not on any country's list of favourite people to allow to cross their borders, and yet his boyfriend had managed. Given what a complete cocksicle Valentim was, Cal was confident they could easily spin this to have him take the fall for all that they'd done. They just needed to stop trying to beat them up and accept the help they could offer.

"<He's lying!>" Valentim, who had been content to stand back and watch his "friends" attack the two mutants for him, piped up then. Reaching out towards Calvin from roughly teen feet away, his limbs extending far beyond human limits, he wrapped his hand and part of his arm around Calvin's face in an attempt to not only shut him up, but suffocate him as well. It may have worked, had Cal actually required oxygen when he was transformed into organic steel and did not possess telepathic abilities that made speaking verbally an option, not a necessity. All Valentim managed to accomplish was disrupting Calvin's concentration enough that Atília was unceremoniously dropped from the air and onto the concrete floor below. Had he not currently had someone's arm wrapped around his face, which honestly was kind of grossing him out despite being made of metal currently, Calvin would have heaved an annoyed sigh. He grabbed at the limb, but as resilient and stretchy as it was he could not quite manage to pull off of his face.

"<Why are you against letting them try to help us?>" Ivone, who had kept quiet until then wondered out loud, turning her attention away from Roberto and towards their not so fearless leader. She had trusted Valentim to do right by them, but these two mutants had shown no hostile intentions upon their arrival and seemed more intent on avoiding actually fighting them than taking them out. At least that was what she had seen from Roberto da Costa. Ivone Suárez was poor, not stupid.

"<I... do not have to answer that>" Valentim decided, but Calvin was of a different opinion there. ::Because he is only in this for himself:: he suggested telepathically. ::Because he knows we're not here to help him, considering all that he has tricked you into doing for him.:: After a brief pause, Cal then added ::And I swear to God, Cabrera, if you do not remove this hand I'm either lighting it on fire, or asking my boyfriend to see if he can't remove your whole damn arm.::
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Jun 10 2018, 08:57 AM

For a moment Inácio, Ivone and Roberto were still, locked in a moment of stalemate; Sunspot could have rid himself of the youngest of Cabrera’s crew without effort, and the girl’s forcefields wouldn’t hold up against him for long, but he didn’t want to fight. The two kids were, unsure of what to do, they weren’t skilled enough to stand up against him and, despite what they were guilty of, the pair of them were not happy about the notion of causing harm to a fellow mutant. Valentim only watched with a cool gaze, seemingly uninterested in dealing with the problem of Calvin and Berto by himself. The silence was broken by Mimic entering the room once more, his metallic body bouncing off of the concrete not once but twice. He was clearly having a rougher time of it than Sunspot was but out of the two of them Cal was better built to deal with taking a beating. It didn’t make it any easier for Roberto to watch though and as the sound of his boyfriend’s body making dents in the ground rang out through the building, the solar powered Brazilian let out an angry snarl, easily ripping himself free of Inácio’s grip.

You’re not wrong.” He said in reply to Calvin’s assertion that the kids were no good at listening, any further comment cut short by Atília’s reappearance. It was difficult not to laugh at the sight of the huge crystalline teenager hung helplessly in mid air as the mimic caught him in his telekinesis but he swallowed any urge to, completely aware of how well that would go down with the crowd. So instead he tried to relax as best he could in an attempt to seem as non threatening as he was able. Whilst Cal attempted to convince the kids that there really might be something that they could do for them, he didn’t want to appear anything other than open, forgiving even. Valentim’s crew had done terrible things and for that they deserved punishment, but he was sure that it was no accident that they were just children. They couldn’t be held fully accountable for what they had done, not with a man like Cabrera pulling the strings; it had been clear from the outset that he had a strong influence over the three teenagers caught under his spell.

<You’d know.>” Was his somewhat childish answer to Valentim’s accusation that Calvin was lying. He almost followed up with ‘takes a liar to know one’ but thought better of it, not that he wouldn’t be correct in the statement. Any agreement that he might have liked to make would have been stopped short anyway as the leader of the Rocinha crew finally made his move, reaching out to wrap an arm around Mimic’s face. The attack was punctuated by the sudden crashing of Atília’s body to the floor, causing Sunspot to start backwards, another angry scowl evident in his eyes. “<Ugh, would you just get off my boyfriend?>” He demanded then, his tone bored and a clear indication that he had, had enough of Valentim’s amateurish ways. If the situation hadn’t a serious one, the lives of three teens in the balance and those of their victims requiring justice, then Roberto might have suggested that they leave right then. But Cabrera was more dangerous than his actions in that moment seemed to indicate. He needed to be dealt with and a resolution to the problem of Ivone, Atília and Inácio reached.

Roberto only rolled his eyes when the group’s ringleader couldn’t even come up with a lie to cover his reasons for not allowing him and Calvin to help them. Seriously? The man wasn’t even sharp enough to make up an excuse on the spot. Perhaps this whole affair was going to be easier than Sunspot had first assumed. “<I’m not going to tell you again. Get off of him now, Cabrera.>” He asked of Valentim again as Cal continued speaking telepathically. There was no reason for him to have his weird stretchy arm around Mimic when it was doing nothing more than holding him back. “Let go, or I will not hesitate to test whether or not you can still maintain your grip whilst I’m beating you around the head with a section of the wall.>” Roberto did not want to fight children, but Valentim was an adult, and one who had not given any thought to the lives of the teens under his watch to boot, Berto would not hesitate to beat the man senseless if he had to.

<I will not.>” Was his sneering reply, causing Sunspot to begin his advance on the man. He hadn’t got very far when Cabrera let out a cry of pain, shifting Beto’s focus to the bright glow of flame surrounding the man’s arm. “<Inácio, what are you doing?>” The man pleaded. “<These men are not your friends. You know Roberto da Costa, you’ve heard about his wealth and how he uses it only for himself. He has never tried to help you, he only does so now because he is at the command of our corrupt government.>” By the time he had finished his cry for support, the heat surrounding Valentim’s arm had become so unbearable that he was forced to let go of Calvin, snapping it back to its original size by his side. Roberto wondered if the man had felt the flame burn or if his body was like rubber melting in the heat. Whichever it was, it had sounded incredibly uncomfortable. “<I...I don’t want to hurt people anymore.>” The youngest of the group spoke for the first time in a long while, his tone was sad, defeated.

<None of you have to. There are other ways of making a better life.>” Was all that Berto could think to say as he moved to place a hand on the teenager’s shoulder. He wasn’t sure what he would be able to do for the kids but he wasn’t going to stop until he could find a solution that was best for everyone. “<None of you will make it out of here ali->” Valentim sprang forward, showing in that instant that he would not hesitate to turn on the kids who had thought they were a family. Cabrera held no allegiance, he did not look upon the three others in his crew with any fondness or sense of duty or respect. He would kill them in a heartbeat if it served his purpose, he was not going to prison, he could not go to prison. Before he could get very far, the sudden impact of a great blast of energy to his midsection sent the shape changer reeling backwards, his body expanding in all directions under the weight of one of Sunspot’s thermo-concussive blasts. From mere feet away, Roberto da Costa stood with two arms held out towards his target, his expression angry. “<I could do this all day Cabrera.>” He stated. “<I wonder which one of us will grow tired first. Give yourself up.>
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Jun 13 2018, 11:53 AM

Had he been capable of doing so, Calvin would have heaved a sigh at Cabrera's refusal to remove the arm he had wrapped around his head. As it was, he could only sigh to himself and prepared to drop Ivone's powers to mimic Inácio's instead and set the man's arm on fire. It did occur to him first that he could use Ivone's ability to bend light - or perhaps even his telekinesis - do force the man's arm away from his head instead, but setting him on fire just seemed easier. And possibly a bit more satisfying to do. Before he had a chance to though, Inácio had already moved to wrap his hands around Valentim's outstretched arm instead and let them burn brightly with his flames. It seemed like Cabrera was quickly losing the support of his fellow miscreants, first with Ivone questioning the man's motives and now young Inácio deciding he didn't want to hurt people anymore and figuring that taking care of Cabrera was the best way to accomplish that.

When the limb Cabrera had wrapped around Calvin's head was removed, the mimic quickly hopped back onto his feet and turned his gaze towards the ringleader, who still did not seem to have clued into how giving up would be the best course of action here. Hurting mutants was not why Calvin had come out here this evening, his intention having been for Roberto and him to handle this in a peaceful manner, but that obviously wasn't going to be how this worked out. Oh well. One out of four didn't sound all that bad when you thought about it, and Cabrera was pretty much asking to have his ass kicked. Calvin would be more than happy to oblige, though watching Sunspot shut him up with a quick, concussive blast of heat was just as satisfactory.

"<Consider your response very carefully>" Calvin cautioned Cabrera when his boyfriend told the man to just give himself up. He cocked his head lightly, sucked in a breath of air and let out a sigh, stretching his hand out before Cabrera even made his move. The shapechanger's undamaged arm stretched out, the hand at the end of it changing into a spiked club, but instead of reaching Roberto it instead swerved back around and hit Cabrera in the face instead. The man possessed an impressive ability to shape and manipulate the cells that made up his own body, but that did nothing to protect him from being affected by the telekinetic abilities Calvin had mimicked from Jean Grey.

Durable as Cabrera's mutation made him, the man was left momentarily startled by his own limb being turned against him, but otherwise unhurt. If he didn't surrender himself willingly, using physical force to bring him down was likely going to be a chore, but that didn't matter when there were other ways to get Cabrera to submit. "<That's enough>" Calvin spoke curtly, using his telepathic ability to slip into the shapechanger's mind. Durable as Cabrera was, he did not have the training or experience to deal with an assault of a non-physical nature. One moment the man was conscious, the next he slumped to the floor as he was mentally forced into a deep slumber.

"<He's still alive, just sleeping,>" Calvin was quick to explain, before the other three came to the conclusion that Cabrera had just been put down in a more definite manner, which would likely not do much for their willingness to cooperate. "<That should give us some time to talk.>" Both Calvin and Roberto had made claims that the latter could help them, but Cal could imagine none of them were strangers to empty promises and the disappointment that came from that. Even though Cal wasn't sure of exactly what would be possible, he wanted to give them at least some sliver of hope that there was a way out of a mess they had created for themselves under Cabrera's guidance.

"<We can help you>" Calvin reiterated. "<Cabrera was wrong about Roberto here, he does not only use his money to help himself."> He pointed a thumb towards himself then. "<I used to be part of a terrorist organisation back in America. As you can probably imagine, that makes me the sort that the Brazilian government would rather not have within their borders."> Gesturing at his boyfriend then, Calvin continued speaking. "<He was able to smoothen that out, and I am sure he can do the same for you. It's obvious that Cabrera here manipulated you, used the discontentment you all felt to turn you towards violence.>" They all had played a part in what had happened, sure, but Calvin was far more sympathetic towards the three teenagers than he was towards Cabrera. It wouldn't be easy to fix the problematic situation the three had gotten themselves tangled up in, but Cal trusted his boyfriend to be able to help them. Money went a long way when it came to getting people on your side or making them look the other way, and Beto had a lot of it.

"Perhaps we can set something up for them, like what you have done with Favela Street, or the youth centre you plan to set up back in New York?> Calvin wondered out loud, levelling his gaze with his boyfriend's. He voiced his thoughts in English this time, finding it easier to put them to words that way. He trusted Berto to convey whatever parts of his idea were actually viable to the three teens. "It could serve as a kind of community service, helping them to make up for what they have done to the neighbourhood, and perhaps even help others like them? They don't really have anything, which was what helped Cabrera lure them into joining up with him. Like what you've done in Vila Cruzeiro, you could show these kids and others like them that there's another way."
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.