Thread of the Month

Plot of the Month:
The Savage Land

Add Reply
New Poll

My Big Fat Italian Birthday, March 4th, 1:00 PM | closed to tagged
Marvel Girl
 Posted: Mar 6 2018, 10:54 PM

Two weeks which had apparently only been a day and four days which had apparently been three years stuck in a jungle was still not enough to make Jean forget or ignore Mimic's birthday. It might have been enough for him to feel like he deserved to stay in bed stuffing his face all day, but unfortunately for him, Jean had other ideas. She had scoped out the restaurant weeks ago, before any Savage Land weirdness happened, and she wasn't about to let this opportunity go by. Besides if he had been stuck there for three years what he really needed was food and ice cream and possibly puppy therapy. She had even put in the cake order, because she knew better than to think she should make one herself: maybe if he wanted a brick with frosting that would work, but she wasn't going to put Cal through that. Again.

Back in real clothes that did not include any ugly hiking boots, denim, or thick socks, but rather an actual dress that it was really too cold for, but layers Jean made her way towards the place in question. From the outside it looked like any other storefront, but on the inside it was made over to resemble a provincial Italian town, not entirely unlike the one Calvin had took her to a few months back.

Their table was tucked away in the corner and she sent a text informing him of where to meet her, tucked his present under the table where he wouldn't immediately see it, and started scrolling through her Facebook feed. At least they hadn't been gone long enough for her crops to wither. That was the weirdest part of the whole thing, coming back home with everyone wondering where the jet was and why they all looked so rough. Of course there was the whole magic aspect of their return trip too. She couldn't exactly say she was unhappy with the sorcerers after all she wouldn't have wanted to be stuck there any longer than they had been, but she didn't think magic would ever be her favorite way of doing anything. It was too unpredictable and if there was a rhyme or reason to it she didn't understand what it was. There was a reason she was a scientist.

Luckily, Calvin showed up cutting off her brooding about magic. "There you are! Next year maybe we'll have an actual party, but I thought stuffing you with food was probably the best thing right now." Also if she threw a party for Calvin the participants might try to kill each other and Battle Royale did not make for a happy birthday.

Unless you were Logan. Now there was an idea for his birthday.
PM
^
Mimic
 Posted: Mar 7 2018, 02:17 PM

Adjusting to life back in the civilised world was proving to be more difficult than Calvin had expected, though after three years of living in the wilderness it wasn't really a surprise either. New York City was loud. Cal had always been aware of that to some degree, both his enhanced senses and (on the occasions he had it) telepathy making the city a lot busier for him than it did for most others, but it had taken several years of relative quiet to really highlight how much sensory stimulation there was in a city this large. He was happy to be back there, of course, but only really because it allowed him to pick up where he had left off with his boyfriend in a more hospitable environment than the Savage Land. Cal would be happy when, a few days from then, he and Berto would be heading back to Rio de Janeiro for an as of yet undetermined amount of time. Rio, like New York, was a huge metropolis with just as many sensory distractions, but the Costa estate was remote enough that it wouldn't be nearly as much of a bother. Plus, the consistently high temperatures, luxury and endless amount of new things to discover in a country he had not yet gotten to know certainly didn't hurt.

But for now Calvin remained in New York. The day before had seen him spend murdering several milkshakes and a burger at the Black Tap in Soho. Today, he was on his way to some place in Queens where Marvel Girl had invited him to so they could celebrate his birthday. Or birthdays. After three years in the Savage Land, Calvin wasn't sure if this was his twenty-third birthday or his twenty-sixth. His birth certificate said the latter, but three years of added life experience said that twenty-six was more accurate. Cal was just going to settle on his age being confusing now.

Doing anything for his birthday had not actually been on the agenda for today. Well, it had been, and given Berto's incredible wealth and penchant for overdoing it Cal was sure he'd have been in for quite the experience, but he'd simply decided he didn't want to do anything out of the ordinary for his birthday. After being caught up in the ridiculousness of the Savage Land for over three years, and being apart from his love for so long, he had wanted nothing more than just a mundane day of not doing much of anything besides spending time with his boyfriend.

And yet here he was, at some place in Queens where Jean had made reservations for the two of them. He'd considered telling her no, but Calvin knew better than to think Jean's threat of coming over to get him was just a bluff. She would have done so, and then not only would Cal have ended up with a disappointed boyfriend, but likely a highly awkward situation as well. Besides, he had promised Jean a long time ago (or three weeks, not counting the three years of Savage Land fuckery) that he wouldn't be a stranger. Rejecting the first time she actually tried to hang out with him was not really in line with promising to stay in touch. This did mean that he'd left a sad Roberto behind at their apartment, but Calvin would just have to make up for that later. And maybe set Jean straight about planning things for him like she was the only person in his life who needed to be taken into account.

At least Jean seemed to have picked a nice place for her ninja lunch. Assuming that the place they were at wasn't one of those where they went all in on the theme and fell flat on their face when it came to matching the scenery with their culinary skill. Picking an Italian place was a risky move on Jean's part, considering that the Italian kitchen wasn't just one that Calvin highly enjoyed, but was far more likely to be critical about as well if it failed to meet expectations. "Hey there, Jean," Calvin greeted his former mentor as he approached her table. "It's good to see you. This place looks nice." Cal took another look around as he took a seat, then turned his attention back towards Jean when she made mention of having an actual party next year. "Okay, planning a party is not a good idea unless you run that by Roberto first," he was quick to point out to her. "He was already unhappy that you sprang a birthday lunch on me without checking to see if he had plans. Which he did, by the way, he just cancelled them all yesterday when I told him I'd rather spend a quiet day at home with him." Needless to say, Cal was not doing a great job of that.
PM
^
Marvel Girl
 Posted: Mar 16 2018, 02:51 AM

"It's supposed to be good food." That was really the important part since Calvin (understandably) had rather high standards when it came to Italian food. If it was a bust there was always the Chinese place across the street. Or they could just get enough wine to drown it out and Uber home. Her phone had somehow survived the Savage Land, of course nothing useful had.

Calvin came out swinging on the Berto front-something Jean hadn't actually considered. She had Darwin and the school to worry about and Darwin was perfectly happy to be left with Merry or one of the kids for a few hours and the school sort of survived when she was gone. Usually. She hadn't had another person to check in with in some time, so thinking about whether or not Berto had plans had basically consisted of, 'Well I'll take the less romantic meal' and being done with it.

"First you could have more than one party," she fixed him with a look. Mostly that was because she liked to be right. "Especially since do you really think Clarice would show up to something I was involved in?" That was a big no. Charlie might, she seemed sensible, maybe a bit on the wild card side, but nice enough. "You could have brought Berto too-although I'm not paying for him." He was the billionaire here after all and after the Savage Land had more or less forced them together she hadn't given much thought to him not being welcome. It seemed the Brazilian was part of the deal now. "And that's why I picked lunch. I thought you would have dinner and evening plans." She wasn't completely insensitive. Just a little bit.

She plucked the present off the floor, because she wasn't there to argue with him about Roberto and passed it over. The bag was a cheerful, bright blue with yellow curled ribbons. Inside was his present, a Unstable Molecule suit that being a Jean Grey Original was the most stylish one out there: sleek, black, with blue accents including in place of an X emblem a curled 'M', and of course fit to Mimic's exact measurements. Frankly it was better looking than some of the X-Men's uniforms because they insisted on designing them and wouldn't let her make them for them. She would have put them in something more uniform anyway with individual accents, but of all the battles to fight with some of them that was on the back burner.

"Just don't use it for evil," she joked. "But I wanted you to have something useful." And she liked him enough to actually go through the effort of designing and sewing the damn thing. UMs were not the easiest material to work with.
PM
^
Mimic
 Posted: Mar 19 2018, 10:52 AM

Calvin listened quietly as Jean explained her side of things. She had some good points, though at the same time managed to miss some of what Cal had been getting at as well. The plan had been no parties at all, then he'd just accepted Jean's invitation without really giving it too much thought what that could imply. Now that he had, Cal just felt like he had been insensitive towards his boyfriend and that was making him feel bad. He didn't want to think about it too much right now and risk ruining the mood for lunch, though, and so Cal decided not to belabour what he'd been trying to say too much. "He doesn't think you approve of us, or like him much." Calvin brought his hand up briefly, to try and stymie any potential confirmation of either of those. At least that way he could try and pretend that Beto was just mistaken. "So if you could make an effort to make him feel like you're not just going over his head, I'd very much appreciate that." Berto being welcome to join them was a great start, would have been a lot better if the invitation to lunch hadn't been so specifically for Calvin though.

For the sake of making the reason he'd left his boyfriend behind moping being a good one, though, Calvin decided to leave it at that for now. Pointing out to Jean once more that he had screwed up by going "No plans. Wait, sudden plans!" was just going to bring him down, and then he'd feel responsible for ruining lunch as well. He could at least try to do one thing right on his birthday. Jean was important to him, after all, so he didn't want to end up upsetting her as well. With both his parents having long since passed away, she was the only one aside from Reece who he had come to see as family. Sort of like a mother figure, or just as a slightly older sister if he ever decided to speak to Jean about it.

The gift Jean had for him was a welcome distraction from all the thoughts that had been running through Calvin's head. He smiled broadly as he accepted the bag from Jean, taking a curious look inside before looking back at his friend. "Are we starting a biker gang?" he asked jokingly, though he already had a pretty good idea of what it was. "Oh, this is very cool," he decided as he pulled the top half of the two-piece Unstable Molecule suit from the bag. "I like the blue accents." Despite Calvin mostly wearing black, blue was actually his favourite colour, which Jean was of course aware of. "And no X!" he added with a chuckle after inspecting the piece more closely. He wouldn't have been surprised if there had been one, and the suit came with a note saying "For when you join Xavier's again", but apparently Jean had maden quite a few strides when it came to accepting that Calvin was on a path of his own.

"It looks great," Calvin said as he took one more gander at the piece before slipping it back into the bag. He could get a better look at it once he was back home. "And it's practical too." With a suit like that, Calvin wouldn't have to worry about ripping his clothing if he had to shift to organic steel, and with the fluidity of his power set in general an outfit that could adapt to pretty much whatever mutant ability he mimicked was a godsent. Shifting out of his seat, Calvin stepped around the table and bent down to wrap Jean up in a big hug. "Thank you," he told her softly. "You're the best."

Taking his seat again just in time for their server to arrive, Cal realised he had yet to actually take a look at the menu. Not that Calvin needed to look at it to know what he wanted for starters, he had been raised on this type of food and if they couldn't deliver then someone's establishment was going to be receiving no stars on Google Maps. Of course when what he wanted came down to "wine and bread", this place couldn't even claim to be an actual restaurant. "Do you have filone?" Calvin wondered as he looked up at their server, pleased when they confirmed that they did have his bread of choice. Not that you could really go wrong with bread, unless the restaurant lied about it and tried to give you something French. "Good, I'd like to start us off with that and some pecorino, please." If they neglected to bring them any olive oil or salt, which were logical basic additions to a serving of bread, he'd just ask for those then. He was possibly going to take over when it came to any food related decisions at this restaurant, but he'd happily trust Jean with making the decision when it came to something else. "Do you have any wine preferences?"
PM
^
Marvel Girl
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 08:21 AM

Well, now she felt a little bad. Only a little. Berto had blown Bobby up after all and while she could let bygones be bygones it didn't make him one of her favorite people, even if it had been a mistake. Forgiveness was one thing, liking someone was another. Still she had been willing to let him come home to the mansion if that had been his choice and she didn't actively dislike him. She was wary of this whole relationship, but for Calvin she was willing to make an effort so when she spoke it was the truth. Put a little bit kinder than, 'I'm still miffed he took drugs, endangered my students, and blew up my best friend, but he's fine', but still true. "I don't dislike him. I mean, he didn't choose to come back which is fine so if not for you and him I might not actively seek out his company, but I don't dislike him." Her voice softened some, "As for the two of you, obviously you care about each other, I saw that in the Savage Land. That doesn't mean I don't worry about you. He is a self professed billionaire playboy." Yes she had read his Linked In, but since the website didn't come with cows and she already had a job and plenty of things published she hadn't stuck around. "But we've been over it before, I can't tell you what to do anymore," she said it with a wry smile. Not that even young Mimic had been totally on board with doing what she said.

That didn't mean she wouldn't be on hand to stomp on Roberto's face if he hurt Cal. What were friends for after all?

"We could. Although I'm not sure how the logistics would work of that." She could do a lot of things flawlessly but driving a motorcycle was not one of them. Besides, she didn't have a healing factor and would rather not be scraped off the road when a semi ran into her. Maybe Ash or Jase could fix that, maybe not, she didn't need to find out. "I thought you'd like it," she said a little smugly. "Try not to do anything too illegal in it, wouldn't be good for my future hero clothing line if one of the prototypes is being modeled by a super villain." Although that was probably a niche market all on its own. She hugged him back. "Oh I try," she told him with a grin.

She was more than happy to let Calvin start ordering when the server came, not only was it his birthday, but he certainly knew Italian food better than she did. Wine on the other hand... "Depends what we're having," she decided. Of course in a pinch any wine could go with anything, but they were fine dining today, which meant things had to match. "Pasta? Chicken? Veal? What kind of sauce?" Frankly after the Savage Land anything that wasn't some questionable wild caught thing and included real carbs sounded good to her.
PM
^
Mimic
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 08:37 AM

After everything that had happened, hearing Jean say that she didn't dislike Berto was probably as good as Calvin could hope for. Maybe with time things between Jean and Roberto would improve, Calvin would sure do what he could to facilitate that, but he knew it wasn't something he could force. As long as Jean could see how much Roberto meant to him, that the two of them both loved each other and were happy together, then anything more than that would just be sugar on top. So Calvin decided to let that subject rest for now, or at least for the most part. He couldn't just ignore Marvel Girl pointing out the label that Beto had apparently given himself.

"A self professed billionaire playboy?" Calvin echoed with a laugh. "Where did he say that?" That was just hilarious to him, not to mention completely accurate too judging by all he had come to know about his boyfriend. Even tempered by the fact that he was in a committed relationship with Cal, the Brazilian's personality remained the same - Beto was a free-spirited, adventurous man, who liked to enjoy every facet of life to the fullest and had the monetary means to do so - and Calvin wouldn't have him any other way. As long as he remained faithful, and Cal didn't doubt for a second that he would, Beto could call himself whatever he wanted.

"There really isn't a need to worry about me when it comes to Beto, I know he'll do right by me," Cal assured Jean, "but... it's sweet that you do." It really was. Cal wasn't going to complain about someone caring about him the way Jean did. She was one of only a handful of people who did. "And you can continue to try and tell me what to do too," he added with a smile. "I'm under no illusion that part of you is likely to change." And again, he honestly wouldn't want that to change; there was nothing wrong with someone wanting what was best for you. Even if they didn't always know what that was, it beat someone just being indifferent.

When Jean pointed out that he shouldn't do anything illegal in the uniform made out of unstable molecules that she'd given him, Cal quirked her eyebrows at her. "Why would you even assume I'd consider doing anything illegal?" he asked her, his face a perfect picture of innocence save for the mischievous twinkle in his eye. "What I did with the Brotherhood was... political activism," he pointed out to her before she had a chance to make mention of it herself. Just because the Brotherhood were seen as a terrorist by most people didn't mean that Calvin really saw himself as ever having been a terrorist. Exposing the government's illegal detention and experimentation on mutants would only be deemed terrorism by those desperate to hide that sort of thing, and marching against a despicable corporation like Trask Industries was honestly something a lot more of the X-Men should have gotten involved in. "But I promise you that I'll behave," he assured his friend. "Hopefully I won't even need to wear the suit. I'm hoping that, for the foreseeable future, Berto and I will just get to live in perfectly mundane, domestic bliss." Or as mundane as you could when your boyfriend was an actual billionaire.

It seemed like Jean was okay with Cal making the decisions when it came to their food, and the young man didn't hesitate to take the reins there. When it came to Italian food, he was confident he knew exactly what was good and what wasn't, and he knew Jean well enough to know to avoid things she might not be too fond of. "Well, pasta of course," Calvin decided quickly after Jean mused about their options, picking up the menu again to have another look at what they served here. There weren't too many dishes on the menu, actually, which to Calvin was actually a good sign. Places that had menus that went on endlessly often ended up just not being all that great at any of them. "No chicken or veal though," he added, looking up from the menu for a second. There were plenty of traditional Italian dishes that incorporated either of those, but with this place reminding him so much of the area where his mother hailed from, Cal wanted to go with some dishes traditionally part of the Lazio cuisine. "The sauce depends on what you're feeling like? Sugo all'amatriciana and sugo all'arrabbiata are both excellent choices for dishes with a tomato-based sauce, but I wouldn't recommend against spaghetti alla carbonara or even fettuccine Alfredo either if you're more in the mood for a cheese-based sauce." Briefly, Calvin looked up at their very patient server. "I assume you make your Carbonara with guanciale?" he wondered, smiling in satisfaction when the man confirmed that they did, in fact, use the proper type of meat for the dish. Not that pancetta or even regular bacon couldn't suffice if guanciale wasn't available, but Cal had a definite preference for some quality pork cheek. "Good, then I will have that, and my friend here will have... bucatini all'amatriciana?" Cal looked towards Jean, giving her the opportunity to correct him if she didn't like his choice.

"Maybe we can just go with something bubbly?" Cal suggested in regards to their choice of wine. "You know, because we're here to celebrate." Calvin wasn't the sort to pop a bottle of champagne in some jubilant display of birthday bliss, but he wouldn't mind a bit of sparkle to their wine. "Asti spumante, some kind of prosecco..." Laying the menu back down on the table, Calvin rested against the back of his seat and levelled his eyes with Jean's, leaving the final choice for the wine to accompany their meals up to her.

Sunspot for all of the mentions.
PM
^
Marvel Girl
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 10:40 AM

"Linked in," she told him. "I had an idea about networking, but I gave up on that." She had to talk to people about business in real life, she didn't want to online too. She had better things to do in her free time, what little she had by the time she was done working and wrangling New Mutants, and shouting down the X-Men about this week's dramatic adventure. She had never met so many individuals with such an uncanny knack for attracting trouble. She was positive she and the original class and even the ones immediately after hadn't gotten into this many situations.

The fact that Calvin accepted her concern (and pestering) was reassuring. She was going to try not to meddle, he could look after himself. In theory. Getting captured and experimented on when you left the school wasn't exactly a good track record, but he was older. Maybe wiser. Maybe. Either way she would have to take his word for it about some things.

She also probably shouldn't play the part of mustached father with a shotgun threatening their highschool aged kid's date. She could do it. But it was likely not advisable.

"You try growing up with the rest of the O5 and no one else, you would be bossy too," she said. "Someone had to keep them out of trouble." Or sometimes lead them into it. It depended on the day. Put five strong personalities together and you could be sure they could clash and Jean hadn't been about to lose those arguments.

She rolled her eyes. "Political activism. Tell that to Sabretooth or Magneto." When he stopped recruiting lunatics to his little gang and preaching that mutants were superior to humans they could talk and since that was never going to happen and the only people she cared about had left the Brotherhood behind she could go back to hating them in peace. That was the easiest way to deal with them. Working together could be expedient, but she didn't trust them and in the end any teamwork wouldn't outweigh the old feuds and fundamentally different ways of dealing with human-mutant relations. "You're not the type to live a boring life. You have to always be out there, doing something or fixing something." She said it with affection, Jean didn't blame him for that, she wasn't sure what she would do with herself if she left the X-Men.

"Calvin, Asti is a dessert wine," she said exasperated. "With the cake, maybe." So maybe she prescribed to a never a bad time for wine theory, but for someone who she had influenced in his formative years Calvin needed help. "A glass of Sangiovese for me for lunch and Teroldego for him," she decided. "And then a bottle of Asti for dessert." Go big or go home.

Mimic
PM
^
Mimic
 Posted: Apr 14 2018, 05:54 PM

Calvin shrugged his shoulders lightly when Jean pointed out to him that Asti was a dessert wine. He wasn't much of a wine drinker, much less someone who knew what to drink when, or with what food. That was why he'd left the choice of wine to Jean, knowing that she was far more familiar with it than he was. He didn't even know the difference between a Sangiovese and a Teroldego, whether they were white or red wines, sweet or bitter, nothing. He trusted Jean to know what she was doing, and if he didn't like her choice - not impossible, considering he wasn't a huge fan of wine to begin with - he'd just not drink it. "We'd like some water as well," he added before the waiter left their table. Just in case he needed to wash away the taste of a wine he didn't enjoy.

"I would like to point out," Calvin started once the waiter was gone, "that I was only talking about my involvement with the Brotherhood before." Calvin was under no illusion that the Brotherhood were just a group of misunderstood political activists, which was exactly why he had chosen to leave the group. He had joined them in the wake of being liberated by them from his imprisonment in Utah, and couldn't see all of them for what they were through his own idealistic haze, but after a few weeks he had taken those ideals and left with them. That didn't mean he wouldn't still stand behind what he had done while he was a member.

"I spoke at the inauguration to bring the gross violation of mutant rights by the U.S. government to light," Cal pointed out to Jean next. Whether it had the desired effect... well, no, probably not. The human controlled media had made damn sure to ignore the mistreatment of mutants as they so often did. That didn't mean Calvin would regret speaking up. "And I was part of a protest against Trask Industries," he went on to add. Again, a decision he stood by even after leaving the Brotherhood. Calvin would never apologise for trying to do what was right. "So maybe that turned a bit violent, and perhaps I was more than a little bit involved in that, but what else was I supposed to do when Trask deployed armed guards and mech suits to deal with the protesters?" Sitting by while innocent people, which a lot of the citizens of Mutant Town were, came under attack was not something Calvin could do either.

"But I'm actually serious about wanting to live a life of mundane, domestic bliss," he emphasised. "I feel like that's something I'm due." And while Calvin definitely had his moments where he could act entitled, he personally didn't feel like that was the case here. "The past... eight years of my life have been a complete mess, Jean. Eleven if you count how long my stay in the Savage Land felt like." To Jean he'd only been missing for a few days, and their stay there had only been two weeks, but it had been much, much longer for Calvin.

"My bipolar disorder became a real issue when I was fifteen," he reminded her. "You were there for that, you know how troubled I was back then." Calvin's voice was free of any accusatory tone, the young man understanding that a disorder like his was difficult to recognise. He only pointed it out to Jean to refresh her memory of it. "After I left the school, I just sort of wandered the world aimlessly." It hadn't been a terrible time, to be honest, though Jean might disagree if she was aware of any of the finer details, seeing as a lot of that time he'd basically spent as a con-artist, a rinser and a male escort. Not in the sense that he prostituted himself, but not everyone made that distinction and it was a discussion he'd rather just not have with Marvel Girl.. "Then there was Utah, and the less said about that, the better." He was in a much better state now than he had been when he first been released from the facility, and he'd rather not revisit the time spent there even in casual conversation with a friend. "And finally," Calvin sighed, "there was the Savage Land." Jean already knew most of what had happened there, Calvin saw no need to go into details about that again.

"So, I'm just going to take it easy and enjoy life with the man I love for..." Calvin gestured vaguely with his right hand. "I don't know. A while." And he would be doing so in Rio de Janeiro, a detail he could easily segue into right then, but was hesitant to mention. For a whole month after leaving Xavier's the second time around, he had been pretty much one big disappointment to Jean. Then, once he had left the Brotherhood, he had been so focused on Roberto that he hadn't really done much better when it came to Jean either, even after promising he wouldn't be a stranger when he and Roberto visited the school. Granted, "got stuck in a weird-ass jungle hidden in Antarctica" was a pretty good excuse, but that only accounted for five days out of fifty, give or take a few.

Even without reading his mind, which was a lot easier now that Calvin wasn't mostly using Jean's own mutation just to try and keep her out, his former mentor probably knew something was up. Calvin had leaned forward a little, resting his lower arms on the table and pursed his lips slightly, as if to keep the "I'm going to Rio!" from just slipping out. He couldn't avoid the topic indefinitely though - they were leaving for Rio in three days, Jean would at least figure out what was up if she asked him out for lunch again and he had to respond with "Sorry, can't. Sipping cocktails by the pool at the Costa estate in Rio". He'd just postpone telling her until she had at least one glass of wine in her. "So, what have you been up to?" he asked her, in as innocuous a manner as he could. "You know, with the school and the... science." Yep, great way to inquire about Jean's life, right there. "How's Darwin?" He almost added "Still stupid?" but he figured Jean might take offence to that, even if it was true.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.