Member of the Month

Member of the Month:
Zel

Thread of the Month

Plot of the Month:
The Savage Land

Add Reply
New Poll

Thrift scoring, 10th March. 11.15 am. Closed to tagged.
Rat
 Posted: Mar 6 2018, 03:47 PM

Back in Leeds Rat had often enjoyed wandering with Ruby, around the various charity shops that were in the town centre and hunting for odds and ends that interested them. It was like treasure hunting. They would go from shop to shop, checking for books, cds, dvds and games. And sometimes they would be really lucky. There were times when they left empty handed but those days were forgotten when they had lucky days and found all kinds of exciting things.

Now that he was in America and able to be seen he had decided to go treasure hunting at the local thrift stores. As far as he knew, these were charity shops just with a different name. And probably bigger shops too. Which meant more space for stuff. He had invited Wicked to come with him as he thought she might enjoy it. He was looking for some more clothes and stuff for his room and figured she might be as well.

"Right then, first one." he said, stopping in front of the shop and casting a glance inside. It looked pretty good. Clean, tidy and the clothes didn't look like they had been there since the 90s. "Lets see if we can find some treasure." he said, opening the door and motioning for her to go in first. "Let me know if you're looking for anything specific and we can search for that first." He said, noting that the place was much bigger than the shops in England. Brighter too. There was also a decent sized media section that he couldn't wait to explore.
PM
^
Wicked
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 04:56 PM

One of the things about the US that still blew Wicked’s mind was the sheer amount of choice. You could choose what to eat and where. When the wake up. What you wanted to be and do for a living. It had been a lot thrown at her at once. Deciding on her name, how she wanted to set up her room, and most of all, what she wanted to wear. After years of having no choice in anything, it was a lot. But, Wicked knew how to survive. She adapted. She enjoyed having a say in things now. She’d been experimenting with what she liked and dislike, quickly finding herself leaning towards grunge and goth and punk. Her first big purchase had been her sewing machine. She loved getting clothes and making them her own here. And dressing in black with dark elements. Being dark and creepy and spooky and a bit feminine sometimes just appealed to her. Hence the raven skull necklace she currently wore over her scarf to hide the scars on her neck.

Going out with Rat to some local thrift stores sounded like fun. She found the whole concept of that people would give away the stuff they no longer wanted and others managing to sell it astounding. And it sounded so American. But, it made sense. It was still good. Why not have someone get more use out of it?

Walking it, it always felt like a sea of clothes and shit was laid out in the stores here. It was a treasure trove for someone, that was damn sure. Why not them? ”Whoa. Well, I’m looking for some curtains. So if you see something with a lot of a really cool fabric or actual curtains, let me know.” She was also in the process of making herself a personalized blanket. But, that may take a while. ”Heck, if you find anything else you think i may like.” Rat seemed to have a good idea of her personal taste so far. Black with some pops of color. She also liked dresses and tops that reminded her of her hanbok which she was working on. ”What are you looking to get?” Neither of them had much. So, personalizing their rooms seemed important to the both of them as far as Wicked could tell. Maybe that was part of why she got along with Rat so well.
PM
^
Rat
 Posted: Mar 15 2018, 04:53 PM

Had Rat not been so surprised by the size of the shop, he would have found Wicked's reaction kind of odd. But he was not used to the size of shops over there and she was not used to shops in general. So it was not odd. "Curtains...." he said slowly. Good idea. They had blinds up, but curtains felt a bit more... like a home. "They have a section for textiles, we can look there." Of course, they could all be gross old floral patterned things. Or be something for a little kids room, like Postman Pat ones, or whatever his American equivalent was.

"Yeah... I'm guessing you want pink and sparkles and rainbows and unicorns." he said teasingly. He had an idea of what she was looking for, the same sorts of clothing that Ruby had been looking for when they went treasure hunting; dark, gothic stuff. Lots of skulls and bats. "We should be able to find lots of that here. Also plenty of black and lace and skulls." he added after a cursory look around confirmed they were plenty of clothes to look at.

"That's a good question...." He said thoughtfully. What was he looking for? He considered it for a moment as he browsed a rack of mens tshirts. "I guess... anything. I came over here with anything I could fit into my backpack, so clothes and bedding are a must. But... also want to find some stuff to put up in my room. And books. You can never have too many books." Back with his family, his room had clearly been his space. His room at the base was not so bad, he did have some posters up and some drawings he had done stuck on the walls, but it wasn't quite the same. It still looked like he had only just arrived or wasn't planning on staying long.

This talk of arriving in the country with just a backpack got him thinking. What had his parents done with his old room? Had they remembered him and were simply waiting for him to return? He had left a note for them explaining where he had gone, but would they think that he might come home some day? Did they miss him? Or had they simply boxed anything of his up and sent it to a charity shop?

With a sigh, he pushed these thoughts away and went back to the task at hand; searching for cool stuff in a thrift store. He pulled out a tshirt that was looking rather promising, it was the right size for him, and dark coloured. It was also a Black Sabbath tshirt and he smiled. "Shiny. Already found something."
PM
^
Wicked
 Posted: Mar 20 2018, 01:11 PM

Sticking her tongue out at Rat with his smart ass comment may not have been the most mature thing to do. Then again, Wicked wasn’t exactly the most mature person. She knew Rat was just joking. However, in doing so, he’d given her some ideas. ”You know, using something pink and sparkly or with rainbows and unicorns would be a cool contrast to have in something.“ Already, she had various garments forming in her mind. Black pants with unicorn patches. A dress with some bright pink trim, preferably distressed a little, but it’d look cool either way. Oh, a hat or hair accessory of some sort that was black and pink with some feathers, sparkles, and a skull.

Shit, that’s not what she came here to find. Wicked needed to focus. Or, maybe she didn’t. It wasn’t like curtains were a necessity. They were something nice that she felt would make her room feel more like her room. Looking through the racks of men’s shirts with Rat, Men’s shirts just tended to have a bit more fabric for her to work with. Stopping mid-browse, she gave Rat a look of some understanding. Neither of them had much, if anything, when they joined the Brotherhood. Not that either of them seemed to want mountains and mountains of stuff as far as Wicked knew. It was just a little depressing to come back to a room each day that could belong to anyone.

Hence why Wicked was intent on making the space her own. For her, it was partly just reveling in the fact that she had her own space. Her room already had darker tones to it. With pillowcases she’d made herself and various sketches of designs she’d done on the walls. There were some skulls and feathers and bottles which looked witch-y. The bed was always made before she left the room, a habit that she’d had literally beaten into her back in the camp. Her workspace she had set up also reflected her time in the camp in how things were very precisely arranged. Her sewing machine had a clearly designated spot, along with her sewing shears, pins, needles, and fabric. Wicked hadn’t realized it yet, but if someone looked at her work station back in the camp and then her work space in her room, they were both arranged exactly the same. Except her current work space was far less restrictive and featured more black elements.

Pulling an extra large black shirt off the rack, she grinned as Rat also seemed to have found something. His was in his size though, while if Wicked put on the black shirt with the skull design she’d found, she could wear it as a dress. ”Cool, I did too!” She had caught her friend sighing and wondered what that was about. ”What’s the sigh about? And what’s shiny?” The latter question was one that had been swimming in her head for a bit now. She’d heard him say it before, but it didn’t make any sense. ”I mean, I know what shiny means. But, when you say it, you clearly don’t mean shiny like the stuff over in the jewelry section.” Maybe it was a British thing?

Moving to quickly see if there was anything in the men’s dress shirts she could tailor before going to the women’s section, another thought came to her. ”Do you have any… Ummm..” The word had been on the tip of her tongue and now escaped her momentarily. She uttered the Korean word for it as that came to mind. It took her a second to recall the English for it. ”Suits. That’s it, suits. Or just something a bit more formal than what you normally wear. Not that there’s anything wrong with what you wear. I heard someone say everyone should have at least one sort of formal outfit in their wardrobe. And it seems like a good idea.” Why either of them would need an outfit like that, Wicked wasn’t sure. Neither of them were really fancy people, like Anna. But, Wicked knew for her, it’d make her feel nice. Sort of grown up to have that in her closet.

Wicked already had some ideas of what she thought would look on her friend when it came to formal wear. He technically could probably pull off some brighter colors and bolder prints, but those weren’t Rat’s style. He wasn’t flashy or loud when it came to his clothing choices. Previously, she’d been looking through the rack for black dress shirts. But now, she was looking for more muted colors. Personally, she thought Rat could also likey rock a burgundy shirt, but one step at a time. After looking at a few other shirts which were a decent color but not the right size, she found one. ”A-ha!” Pulling it off the rack, she held the navy blue dress shirt up for him to see. ”Try something like this.” She was positive it’d look good on him.
PM
^
Rat
 Posted: Mar 21 2018, 03:05 PM

It was great to joke around with someone who didn't consider him to be a dumb tagalong kid. Most of the others at the base were not the joking type, sometimes Rat doubted if some of them even had a sense of humour. Like Creed. If he had a sense of humour, it was probably disturbing. But Creed was not there. Wicked was and Rat giggled when she stuck her tongue out at him and then said that maybe the pink unicorn stuff might be good. "Black and pink might go together. You can have a creepy unicorn look." That was one way of describing it. "Should look for a headband with a unicorn horn on it." That would totally complete the look.

While browsing the same rack, Wicked found something too. A skull tshirt that looked pretty cool, even if it was a bit too big. "You planning to wear that thing as a dress?" It sure looked like it could be used as one. Wicked was pretty good at sewing so she could probably turn it into one. Not that Rat understood how that would work, sewing was not his thing.

What was the sigh about? Rat was not quite sure and thought about it. "It's nothing I guess. Just... kinda miss my little brother and sister." He ran a hand through his hair and thought a bit more. "I feel bad for leaving cos mum and dad aren't exactly... good at parenting. They left a lot of it to me cos they struggled with my sisters disability. But I guess I'm doing the right thing." He leaned a bit closer and said very quietly. "They could turn out to be mutants as well and I want to try and make the world safer for our kind." He went quiet again, thinking about something very hard. "Sometimes I think about contacting them, see if they're able to remember me again. But then I wonder if they'd be pissed off cos I left them."

Time to change the subject and the query about his use of the word 'shiny' was a good one. "Its from a tv show called Firefly. It means good or cool." He smiled a little as he spoke. "That show also uses some random bits of Chinese. Or at least, what they call 'New Chinese' in the show cos its set way in the future and the language has... changed." Which made some sense, language changed over the years, the English people spoke now was probably very different to what it was in the past.

"A suit? Nah, never needed one." he said with a shrug. "My family don't do formal. Closest thing I had was my school uniform and I left that back in England." How he had disliked the uniform, including that stupid clip on tie. Those bloody things were dangerous. Being hit with the clip part hurt and he knew this for a fact. Leaving that behind had been great. The uniform had been uncomfortable and expensive. It had still been better than the girls uniform. At least the boys were allowed to wear trousers. "You think we'll ever need formal wear?" That was a possibility. If they ever had to sneak in somewhere. Of course, given his powers, he wouldn't need formal wear to go unnoticed somewhere. He could just walk around as he was, unless there were telepaths in the area. Then looking like the rest of the people there was an advantage.

He took the shirt Wicked offered to him and looked at it carefully. Navy blue was not a bad choice. Better than white, he looked kind of ill in white. "Ok, I'll give it a go." he said, putting the shirt with the tshirt he was planning to buy. "I'll trust you on this since I know nothing about clothing."
PM
^
Wicked
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 02:48 PM

Being that there were only three kids in the Brotherhood, finding someone who shared her sense of humor, or at least went along with her jokes was unlikely. However, Wicked had a stroke of luck in Rat being there. It was one of those rare instances where she actually seemed to have some good luck. The mental image of her in a black and pink outfit with unicorn related details, including the headband that Rat mentioned seeming like it’d be the crowning piece. ”Creepy unicorn… Yeah, that’d be awesome. If you see a unicorn horn around here, or just something you think I could turn into one, let me know.” She could already see it, an iridescent unicorn horn with some down or fluff around it on a wide black ribbon headband.

The skull shirt she had in hand was going to become a dress. She could cut it down and make it a top, but since the design took up almost the whole length of the shirt, why not make it a dress? ”Hell yeah, I am. Not thinking anything too fancy.” It wasn’t a fancy sort of shirt. It would probably be more of a everyday dress. One she didn’t mind getting dirty or ripped or stained. Which seemed wise, given the nature of the various shit she found herself a part of. ”Not sure if I just want to take it in along the sides or put panels of something else in. I’d take the sleeves off but…” Her voice trailed off. There were scars practically everywhere on her body. It hadn’t really bothered her back in the camp. Everyone had scars. She’d just had a lot more than most. But, here in America, people stared if you had a bunch of visible scars. She wouldn’t have given a shit about the stares if it hadn’t been for the fact that more than once, she’d caught people giving her a look of pity. Look at her all you want, that’s fine. But the last thing she wanted was anyone’s pity. Pity wasn’t going to change anything. Action would.

As Rat started to talk about his siblings, Wicked could feel a tug at her heart. She knew she didn’t have siblings. At least, not one’s from her parents. But, she did kind of understand Rat’s feeling regarding his siblings and having left them. The others in the female dorms, they’d become her family. She looked out for them, and they would do so in turn. When the Brotherhood had liberated the camp, they’d all gone into hiding somewhere thanks to them. Someplace safe. And she’d gone with the Brotherhood. ”Oh,” she said softly in understanding. It wasn’t the same, she knew that. But, she could understand. Just because they’d left didn’t meant that Rat and Wicked stopped caring about the people they’d left behind. ”I think trying to contact them wouldn’t be such a bad idea. Sounds to me like you’re a good brother. And if nothing else, I’d want to make sure they’re ok.” Which she did with the other mutants from the camp and asking for updates on how they were doing. So, she imagined Rat would want to do something similar. ”I bet Elle wouldn’t mind helping you with that.” As far as Wicked knew, Elle could get into anything computer-y. So, helping Rat check in on his siblings should be easy, right?

And with that, the topic changed. Too many real emotions in a too public place was not ok or something. Blinking, Wicked tilted her head, ”Firefly? Like.. the bug?” Seemed like an odd thing to title a show, much less one set in the future with Chinese or New Chinese. But, she nodded and made sure to store the tidbit that shiny was apparently a good thing, at least when Rat said it like that.

Rat not having any sort of formal clothing seemed perfectly reasonable to Wicked. It wasn’t exactly the sort of clothing you wore a lot. Plus, it certainly didn’t seem like something he’d think about wearing himself. She shrugged her shoulders when he asked if she thoughts they’d ever need formal wear. ”Dunno. I think Anna uses hers. But, she’s a lady.” Anna was like a princess or something, Wicked was pretty sure of that. Neither Rat nor herself were anything even close to royalty. Wicked did have a project of a gown she was working on, but that was mainly because she’d had the design in her head for years. It was one of her two big projects, with the other being her hanbok.

”I think it’d be nice to have something a bit more dressed up than usual. With shirts, you can wear them with other things and give it a bit more formal feel while still being casual. And I think that’s cool.” While she wasn’t sure Rat would ever wear a full suit, Wicked was sure that a day may come when he want to look a bit more formal to impress someone. And having a dress shirt would be a good thing for that. Her chest puffed out a bit with pride as Rat took her advice and decided to get the shirt. ”Shiny. I may not know about a lot of things, but the one thing I do know is clothes. And I promise I will never intentionally steer you wrong with that.”

As they meandered more towards the textiles section, which Wicked personally was looking forward to, a mental image popped into her head and sent her into a mild giggle fit. Hand covering her mouth she tried to not make an absolute show of herself. ”I just had the funniest thought. Creed in a tux, but like the storybook kind. With coattails and a frilly collar and his hair slicked back and looking pissed about it.” Why it’d popped into her head, she didn’t know and didn’t care. The mental image was funny as hell.
PM
^
Rat
 Posted: Mar 24 2018, 03:19 PM

Rat laughed when Wicked agreed with the creepy unicorn look. "I'm sure that's how most fashion trends start. Someone does something unique and the rest follow." It would be pretty funny if creepy unicorn became a trend. "I'll keep a look out." he promised. As he listened to her plans for the tshirt, he was pretty surprised at much thought had to go into it. "If you were to add panels, you'd need another tshirt, right? One that... contrasted with the one you've got?" That made some sense. It would make the dress a bit more unique. He had an idea of why she was keeping the sleeves, he had seen some of her scars and guessed she wanted to keep them hidden.

Rat thought about what Wicked was saying. Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to contact Scraggy and Lalya... and maybe the parents too. Although talking with his parents would be bad if they remembered him. Things hadn't been so good when he left. In fact the very last time he had spoken with them before the manifestation of his powers, had been an argument. Then he had gone to his room and at some point in the night, his powers had become active. "I s'pose it wouldn't be too bad to make sure they're ok." That was what he was worried about, whether or not they were handling things without him there to help. He hoped they were ok, it would be a bad sign if they were not and he would probably find himself tempted to go back to England to keep an eye on them.

Asking Elle for help was a different matter, Rat did not know much about her. Except that she was Irish, was blind but could see through computers or something like that and apparently liked the colour green. Other than that, he was stumped and unsure of whether or not she would be willing to help. He sometimes got the impression that she didn't like a lot of people.

"The name refers to the class of spaceship the main characters live on. It's a multi-purpose one that's known as a firefly class. The ship itself is called Serenity." Rat said with obvious joy. "I've been a fan since I was little. My dad liked it and it was something we used to watch together. I could talk about that show all day, but that's not a good idea. So I'll stop there unless you want to hear more." No point in boring Wicked. She had been through enough already.

She had a good point about formal clothing. Formal could also be casual in a way, and that was a good combination. Too formal felt wrong and deeply uncomfortable. To him, anyway. "Yes, yes she is. She's the only one in the team that's posh in anyway." He was glad when she used the word 'shiny' the same way he did. Hearing someone else say it made him feel less like a geek. "Glad to know that. So... if I ever end up taking your advice and looking like a nerd, it means something's wrong?"

They headed toward the textiles section, not a section that rat frequented in a charity shop, mainly because it was all the same stuff; old lady florally patterned stuff or kids stuff. But this place looked like it had a better choice of textiles. And some actual material for sale too. Then Wicked started giggling and Rat wondered what the hell she had seen that had caused that. Surely the curtains for sale were not that ugly? When she told him what had gotten her tickled, he had to join in. That was a funny mental image. Creed all dressed up like out of story book. "Yes. And don't forget the top hat, monocle and cane." Those were a must.
PM
^
Wicked
 Posted: Apr 3 2018, 01:43 PM

Whether or not the creepy unicorn look caught on or not, Wicked thought it was a great idea. She was determined to make that a thing now. If she’d been the kind of person who made lists of projects, it’d be on her list. But, she wasn’t. So, she just nodded in response to Rat’s thoughts on needing another shirt for panels for the dress she was thinking of making from the shirt. ”I mean, i could use another type of fabric. But, another shirt would probably be really cool.” Maybe one with a pattern all over it, but definitely it had to be a different color. Thankfully, black contrasted well against pretty much everything.

Not having had any siblings of her own that were flesh and blood related to her that she’d had to look out for and take care of, Wicked could only imagine how worried Rat was about his siblings. The closest things she had were the other mutants who had been in the camp with her. ”Yeah, just make sure they’re ok. And I hope they are. But, on the off chance they’re not ok, that something’s not right, I’m ready to help you do something about it.” They were friends, right? That’s what friends did. Plus, these were people who were important to him. So, they were important to her too. Wicked hoped Elle would help him out with this. She was a wizard with technology. Wicked was pretty much convinced Elle could do pretty much anything with computers.

All Wicked could really do as Rat explained the reason the show was called Firefly was nod her head in sort of understanding. Quite frankly, she didn’t fully follow what all of it meant. Class os spaceship? Yeah, she really wasn’t sure what all that meant. But, Rat was into it. ”I mean, I clearly know nothing about it. But, it sounds interesting. Maybe you can show me it sometime.” One of the things she found that she had missed out on years of while in the camp was TV.

There weren’t a lot of fancy types of people in the Brotherhood. Anna was the one person who seemed consistently to be all done up. Spark was pretty much a princess in Wicked’s eyes. But, a cool one. Not like the sort who just wait around and look pretty. Not that Anna didn’t look pretty, but she also would zap the ever loving crap out of you. She was a princess not to be fucked with. ”If you take my advice and look like a nerd, then you either messed up or I intended for you to look like a nerd. But, that’s a thing and I’m pretty sure you could rock it.”

Just as she thought her giggle fit had finished, Rat’s comment made it come back in full force. ”Oh my gosh, yes. With the frilly collar thing. Oh my gosh. I’d contemplate making those for him, but he’d probably shred it and then me.” It was an absolutely hilarious mental image, though. As she managed to pull herself together, she looked at the textiles section. A good bunch of what was there was either incredibly dated or very childish. It wasn’t all totally gaudy though. There was some black fabric and it was heavy. More like upholstery fabric then normal garment fabric. ”Why do people get these sheets with characters on them? I mean, isn’t a bit creepy to sleep on sheets with faces on it?” This was coming from someone who liked creepy things.

(Anna is tagged for the mention.)
PM
^
Rat
 Posted: Apr 3 2018, 05:21 PM

If she was to add panels to the shirt, Wicked would likely need material that was roughly the same type as the main shirt... Or at least, that was what Rat figured. He looked a bit further on the rack and came to a not so bad find. A nice little cluster of plain coloured tshirts in various colours. "Those might be useful." he said, snagging a simple blue one for himself. If he wanted to later, he could draw on it or something. Make it unique.

Rat was glad that Wicked agreed with his idea of checking on his younger siblings. In his head it had sounded weird and clingy. But someone else agreeing that it was a good idea to just make sure they were ok, was good. If someone was going wrong, he hoped to be able to step in and help them, even if they didn't remember him. "Thanks. It's be nice to have help if something bad is happening." He honestly couldn't describe how grateful he was for the offer. "I don't want to think anything bad is happening, after all mum and dad do know what they're doing when they're not rushing off to have affairs, but I'm still a bit worried." He was talking about two people who had thought that he was a good choice for a babysitter when he was ten. And that moving into a small town would stop the other one having an affair.

Asking Elle was an issue though. Sometimes Rat got the impression that she didn't really like people. She might not want to help. Unless... he could make a deal. But what kind of deal? He really had nothing to offer, unless he stopped doing any of the cleaning and agreed to pick it up again if she checked on his siblings. Of course, that did raise the issue of whether or not she would actually check and not just tell him things were fine to get him to go away. Or say things were bad just to make him panic. Thinking about all this was making him agitated, so he pushed these thoughts away and returned to the shop, where they were talking about Firefly.

"It's awesome. Its like a western programme, but also in space." he said with an amazing amount of enthusiasm. "It's also really funny. You might like some of the clothing they have as well." There were some pretty nice clothes on that show. "I'll see if its on Netflix and I can show you it later."

He laughed when Wicked said that if he took her advice and ended up looking like a nerd, it was either intentional, or had taken her advice wrong. "I'll keep that in mind." he said with a giggle. "I know 'nerd' has been a fashion thing before, but it mostly just involved people wearing fake glasses so they would look intelligent or something." Fashion was a strange thing and Rat was never going to pretend that he understood it.

The mental image of Creed all dressed up was still making them laugh. To be fair, it was a funny image. Creed who was known for being violent and crazy, dressed like some Victorian gentleman? "Such a wonderful idea. Shame he wouldn't appreciate it." It truly was. He would probably look less creepy as a Victorian gentlemen. Or maybe even more creepy. Either way, he might like it. The textiles section was really not very good. But it was how these kind of shops worked, they could only sell what was donated to them. "I think for little kids its something to do with it having a cartoon character on. That's all they're interested in, the character. Apparently that's why some companies use cute characters as mascots for food. So kids will want them. You want to check the ladies clothing section next or footwear?"
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.