I Wish I Was a
Little Bit Taller

Add Reply
New Poll

Don't Be Sorry, Do Something, March 15th | 7pm | Closed to Tagged
Firestar
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 11:07 AM

So….that’s what’s left of it.

Angelica Jones pointed a sad finger at the remains of the laser array that a young Forge had recently dismantled. She wasn’t angry because there really wasn’t anything or anyone to be angry at; his thirteen year old self hadn’t meant any harm when he had repurposed part of her project and she could hardly hold a grudge with him now that he had returned to normal. Honestly it was more or less her own fault for not keeping a closer eye on the boy, or storing her project somewhere safe. But she couldn’t fix it on her own, had tried to but just kept hitting a wall, perhaps more because she was so frustrated that she had to fix something that should never have been broken than her lacking the ability. She had built it herself in the first place, after all. Running a worried hand through her long, red hair she gave the man stood by her side a small smile. “You turned it into some kind of, I don’t even know, death ray. A ‘directed energy weapon’.” A quiet laugh left her. “Which honestly is kind of cool but I think I would have preferred a musical toaster.

The thing was, since her laser array had been destroyed Anj had not been able to continue with her research outside of the lab, which meant that with all the time that she spent teaching and on missions she was falling behind the rest of the team. The project leader had begun to notice that her input had begun to drop off dramatically and Angie wasn’t sure if she had any more excuses left in her as to why that might be. She needed Forge to fix this and pretty quickly or else she ran the serious risk of being kicked off of the team altogether. Not that she was going to tell him this, she was just relying on the fact that he was a good, kind person and would want to help her because he was nice that way. “So I was wondering…” She began, smiling her brightest smile. “I’ve hit a block with setting the thing back up the way that it was.” She blushed then with embarrassment, it wasn’t easy admitting that her own project was getting the better of her. “So I thought that maybe we could...fix it together? Like, you could help me. She wasn’t going to say it but he sort of, kind of owed her.

It wasn’t like they didn’t have fun when on the days that they were both rattling around the workshop anyway. The kind of fun that only two science and tech nerds could have at least, fun that mostly involved not saying very much at all to one another, noses in their work, the occasional smile or nod of the head passed between them. Anj wasn’t worried that they wouldn’t work well together but she was concerned that he just might not want to. “I don’t really know what you -- I mean the younger you -- took from it exactly. Like, if it was just one of the lasers or other components. I haven’t dared look and I sure didn’t dare ask.” Well, she had but the answer hadn’t been particularly useful; replying to the question of what he was doing with one of her laser’s baby Forge’s reply had simply been ‘making it not be a laser anymore’. A short, quiet laugh escaped her then. “It’s kinda funny when you think about it.” No. It really wasn’t.
PM
^
Forge
 Posted: Apr 28 2018, 09:34 AM

Sigh

Forge pressed his lips together, his shoulders shagged and he exhaled in a bit of a defeated and embarrassed manner. "Deathray is what it is." Forge grimaced even more as he looked at the device. His consternation over the matter plainly evident. Most of that trepidation came from the reality that Angelica Jones, along with most everyone else, had gotten to see that aspect of Forge that he struggles so hard to suppress and contain.

The maker very easily and very naturally leaned towards inventions that were dangerous, deadly, and violent in nature. When left unchecked, his intuitive inventions just seemed to go there all on their own. It took a lot of focus and restraint to keep from going to that place when he worked. Over the last few months Angelica had seen Forge without the checks and balances he had put in place. The idea was a bit unsettling.

In the span of a few months Forge had turned a Mass Spectrometer into a device that could target down to a specific gene sequence, he had turned Angelica's attempt to achieve sustainable space travel into a directed energy weapon that would disintegrate at the molecular level, he had made a grenade that would cause metals in the blast radius to fully rust within moments, among other things.

"Absolutely I'll help you fix it. This is terrible Anj, I'm so very sorry." Forge said as he picked up the device that was once a part of the ablative laser array but was now a deadly directed energy weapon and began to disassemble it. "There are parts from your array in here, some pieces from other things as well. I remember being like a small techno-kleptomaniac when it came to technology left unattended." Forge tried to chuckle a bit, but it was more forced and frustrated than anything else. "My teen years were certainly simpler on the Reservation." Forge glanced up at Angelica and handed her on of the precision calibrating tools. "After this, lets build something into my hand that anchors my timeline in place. So I don't have to live my teen years again."

Firestar
PMEmail
^
Firestar
 Posted: May 16 2018, 10:06 AM

Not terrible just...look, you didn’t know what you were doing. It’s fine, really.

Twisting a strand of hair around her finger, Angelica considered the pair’s options for the moment. They could start repairing her array straight away or...they could not. She could see how bad it was making Forge feel to know that he had dismantled something that she had worked really hard on and in turn that was making her feel just as bad. Anj couldn’t decide if fixing the problem straight away would be what would make her feel better or whether they should leave it for another day. “Wihio was on the case. He came to find me as soon as you got into your lab.” Taking the calibration tool that had been handed to her, she smiled. “He’s a good little spider guy.

She had confiscated the ‘deathray’ almost as soon as she had discovered what it was capable of. A young Forge might have possessed the ability to build it but the physics teacher had been absolutely certain that he was not emotionally mature enough to use it. So she had insisted that he could not be allowed to keep it or have access to it or even get to look at it from a distance. Teenagers were volatile and there was no way she was taking the risk of a directed energy weapon related accident at the mansion. “I mean, you could maybe build the timeline anchor-y thingie.” She said, sifting through a pile of mechanical and technical odds and ends laid out on her bench. Finding what she was looking for Anj promptly sat herself down on the floor, she often worked down there instead of at the workbench, it wa just that it felt more comfortable knowing that the whole floor space was available for her to spread out the things that she needed.

I’m not sure I could be any use with that.” She couldn’t even begin to imagine where she would start. Realising that it sounded like she was giving the brush off she was quick to add. “But I can supervise. Project manage even. Just call me Chief of Coffee Making.” Because she really didn’t want him to go back to being a teenager again so if the only way that she could help make that a certainty was to just be there whilst he invented whatever it was that needed to be invented then she would. “I know I said it that night in the Savage Land but I’m really glad you’re back to your usual self. The workshop hasn’t been the same without you in it.” The mansion hadn’t been the same.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.