Thread of the Month

Thread of the Month:
Training the Untrainable?

Add Reply
New Poll

Humpty Dumpty's First Mistake, Feb. 24 at 3:30pm [Closed]
Mo'o
 Posted: Jan 16 2018, 05:04 PM

There were a lot of things Baki missed about Hawaii. The shops, the food, and his family of course. But if there was one thing his body missed the most is the the terrain. Maui was a big island whose center was a lush mountain side forest. The land wasn't as rough as other places sure. But his favorite feature was the challenge of climbing some of the tougher walls of rock. Since the island was born from a volcano, much of the rock was still soft, porous and light. It didn't allow much weight for too long. You had to be careful and move quickly.

When he found out that he could make the same thing happen in what the school deemed the Danger Room, well the temptation to get back into it was too great not to go for it. It took him a bit to find someone to do it for him, since he wasn't allowed access to the controls, but thankfully Cypher was willing to help him out. Or at least set up the program and let him have at it.

Standing before the rocky wall, Baki took in the different possibilities. The cliff side was unfamiliar to him, surrounded by unfamiliar terrain on all sides but he wasn't scared by it. It was exciting to get back into something he's been missing for weeks. He almost wished he had taken on more lap around the island's forest before he left. He almost worried that his claws might have gone soft.

Almost...The first dig into the rock face felt good, solid and he almost hesitated to feel it out some more but the given under his feet warned him he was wasting time. He kept going, claws on his hands and feet acting as better tools than any climbing pick could. His tail was of some help too, keeping him balanced when he had to make a small hop from one hand hold to the next. He was making good time and feeling rather confident, all things considered.

He got half way up before coming across a spot that felt more solid. Or at least solid enough for him to pause and look around. He was just above the treeline now, a vast ocean of green stretched out before him, the warm air revitalizing him. For a moment he forgot that this was all a simulation and thought he was really there. However they got this place to work, it was amazing, light years a head of any clunky vr.

He turned back to the task at hand and hoisted himself up further. Half way there with nowhere to go but up.

Warpath
PM
^
Warpath
 Posted: Jan 16 2018, 09:40 PM

Having been gone so long it had taken some time to get James's access to certain parts of the mansion. The gym was nice, but for his workouts he could only get the weight he needed and run as fast ash he wanted in one place... The Danger Room. And now that he haf his clearence back, the 7'2" Apache warrior decided it was time to go work out properly.

Once he scanned into the Danger Room he was informed there was a simulation in progress. That was fine. Whatever it was would have been fine. He could have work with anything. Maybe he would have a nice run along the beach, or he would be hauling his 350lbs up a mountain. There was no telling. He didnt know who was in the room. Mostly because he didn't pay attention to whether or not the Danger Room Program told him who was there or not.

Walking in he encountered a tropical scene, a cliff face with a young man clinging to the cliff as he climbed. No safety rope, no one to catch him if things were pear-shaped. But, from the look of things, kid had it under control for the most part. It was high enough that it would be hard to jump to the top. And if anything happened he could drive off the cliff and wrap himself around the young man. He approached the cliff and called up, "Hey, mind if I join you?

Mo'o
PM
^
Mo'o
 Posted: Jan 17 2018, 02:31 PM

Baki was feeling good as he continued his way up the cliff side, only to be interrupted by a sudden voice below him. He yelped, claws accidentally ripping through the soft stone, and it took him a moment to find new foot and hand holds, cursing the whole time. It only took a second but it was a scary second and he had to take a look at the guy who just walked in.

Part of him wanted to tell him off for sneaking up on him unannounced. But the other part knew that if he hadn't been free climbing this wouldn't have been that big of a deal. He couldn't blame the guy for his mess. He took a breath before calling down, "Uh, yeah, sure, knock yourself out."

That said, he returned his attention to the task at hand, adding over his shoulder, "Just be careful, the stone's pretty soft." As if him breaking off a few chunks in his scramble to find foot and hand hold didn't make that perfectly clear.

He shook off his embarrassment from being startled and kept climbing. He was getting close to the edge now. A few more meters and he'd be able to take a break, sit down and admire the view, maybe snap a picture for his family. He bet his dad would be interested in a room that could give you any climbing challenge you'd want.

He wasn't sure about the guy who just entered though. Maybe they'd just sit and chat, maybe challenge him or something. He wasn't sure about most folks around here.

Warpath
PM
^
Warpath
 Posted: Jan 23 2018, 12:35 AM

It was hard not to chuckle at the kid above him on the cliff face as he scrambled for new footholds, but he managed. He couldnt just laugh at the students when they messed up, especially when it was his fault. He had just called out of nowhere and startled him. Seemed a little asshole-ish to laugh at the guy he almost made fall.

But when the young man climbing the wall said he could join he tied his long black hair into a knot on top of his head, squatted as low as he could and propelled himself into the air in an arch. His 7' plus frame landed lightly on the top of the cliff where he looked down and grinned. "I noticed. I had no intention of climbing up. Jumping is more fun. You looked like you might need a spotter anyway.", he said as he knelt near the edge. "Need a hand there?", he asked, extending a hand down to the young man now below him. "I'm Coach Proudstar. Or you can call me Warpath. I dont care much. What's your name?" Depending on how the kid responded he would see about working him out. Speed and stamina were important in any situation so the Apache would do whatever he could to make sure that all of the students were mission ready. And the strong ones were in peek condition at all times. It was his job.

He watched as the younger man climbed the wall, taking mental notes about how he made the climb up the wall and the speed at which he did it. He would have to ask what his powers were. Kind of a sensitive subject but he had to know so he could formulate a plan on how best to help him get better, faster, and keep going longer.

Mo'o
PM
^
Mo'o
 Posted: Jan 23 2018, 03:33 PM

The whoosh behind him was surprising, the fact that the man he had just talked to was now on top of the cliff even more so. He had felt the breeze on that jump but barely the rumble from the landing. That...was interesting. More over, this guy was their coach or one of them anyway. It was starting to feel like he was running into more staff than he was other students in this school.

In either case, while he was tempted to completely dismiss the offered hand, he figured it wouldn't be right to be rude to a teacher. So he climbed up a bit further before jumping a little to grab the man's hand to help him climb the rest of the way up. Coach Warpath had a hell of a grip, half lifting him the rest of the way. Once on solid ground Baki brushed himself off, "Baki Kaleo, Mr.Proudstar, just got here like a week ago." Proudstar was impressively tall and built and it was no wonder the guy was a coach.

"So uh, what brings you to the danger room sir?" Probably looking to get some sort workout when he figured he'd give a student a spook. Or Baki should have left a note on the door or something. There was someone in the control room for this thing right, so there must have been a notice somewhere. But that didn't seem to matter now, what happened, happened no changing the past.

He could have also question the guy's mutation but given how he had jumped to the top of the cliff, Baki could take a good guess. Either he was just good at jumping or he was strong over all. He wouldn't be surprised, given how the guy had lifted him with pretty much no problem.
PM
^
Warpath
 Posted: Feb 1 2018, 03:58 AM

The Apache was sure that it was surprising to have the sudden whoosing of air from behind the students he was currently hanging out with, but super strength meant awesome things could happen - like jumping a couple hundred feet into the air and landing without so much as a rock slide. It could be surprising but it was something that he'd gotten used.

The larger man half expected the kid to dismiss the extended hand until he saw him leap up to grip what the teacher offered. A large hand gripped the smaller clawed one and pulled the boy up the distance. Once they were upright the kid introduced himself as Baki. Then he called him Mister. He wasn't a Mister. "Nice to meet you, Baki. Its funny that you say you just got here about a week ago. I just got back about a week ago. Took a bit of an extended leave of absence."

What brought him to the Danger Room was the fact that he was kinda bored, and needed a workout. Being a large man took a lot of upkeep and he could pack away the groceries and had to burn them off when he could. "The gym doesn't have enough weight. The highest weight combo is child's play for me. Anyway, I wouldn't be much of a strength and endurance coach if I didn't challenge a student to push themselves the way I do myself." Truth was he did everything he could to improve his own stamina and endurance while he could and he was up to 24 hours before he got tired. He was trying to push himself further but he was happy with 24 hours for the time being. But he needed something about 3 tons in weight so that he could try to build some muscle. Like he really needed more muscle. Guns like his didn't build themselves. "So, what do you say to a little working out and building up so stamina, Baki?"

Mo'o
PM
^
Mo'o
 Posted: Feb 3 2018, 04:24 PM

Baki nodded as Warpath explained why he was here and, though he was curious about that extended leave of absence, jumped straight to the training thing. "Yeah, I know what you mean. Though it's less about the weight for me. You don't get as much extension or I guess randomness in a gym setting. Spent most of my life swimming, climbing, hiking, that sort of stuff." Baki preferred working out in what the natural world had to offer, rather than confine himself to a gym. They were often too cold for him anyway.

At the offer to do more stamina based training Baki nodded, "Sure! That's probably something I need to work on either way. I was honestly just planning on doing something familiar today but I could do whatever." Though he wasn't about to admit that he couldn't do cold. He wanted to get better after all, and he wasn't going to get that if he preemptively blocked the coach from doing what he wanted. "So what did you have in mind?"

He was curious to see what a teacher might select for training stamina because so far he's been drawing on what he's already done. Climbing more specifically, because it was familiar territory, he knew how to do that properly without really injuring himself. Or mostly injuring himself. Hasn't had an issue with diving either, so long as he had the dive suit on anyway. Without it he tended to get cold fast the deeper he went down. Hiking was literally just walking over rough terrain long distance, so no problems there.
PM
^
Warpath
 Posted: Feb 12 2018, 03:36 PM

Warpath grinned. "You grew up on the beach?", he asked. "Lucky you. I grew up in the middle of the fucking Mojave desert. Not a drop of water to be seen aside for maybe a pond or a random swimming pool anywhere on the Res. You can imagine my shock when I cam to New York City and saw snow for the first time. Then my shock not having it for five years. But, I've done my fair share of rock climbing and you can't as an Apache call yourself a warrior until you learn to track, which I do at an expert level."

Ah, the kid seemed excited to do some stamina training. Good. "Glad to hear it, kid. Now, first step it st see where you are. That means I have to put you through some highly strenuous tests while tracking vitals." He took a minute to gage what in the current programming would be the best way to work the kid out. Then it hit him. The beach. Running along the beach while the room tracked his vital stats. Then he would formulate a plan for the student before him. The giant native nodded slowly then set to setting the system in the Danger Room to trachthe student's pulse, respiration, and time how long it took for him to start to loose steam during the fifteen minute run. He looked down at the younger man."Alright Baki. Let's head down there toward the water's edge. I'm gonna have you run while the Danger Room tracks your vitals. But before we get started, I need to know though I'm sure that I have a fairly good idea. What is it that makes you awesome?" He wasn't blind. James could see the scales that covered Mo'o on his face, neck and arms. But sometimes those that had obvious physical mutations had other powers to accompany them. The answer would influence the plan for the day's workout.
PM
^
Mo'o
 Posted: Feb 13 2018, 10:38 PM

Baki nodded along to Warpath's explanation of what he could do and where he came from. This Res, which he could only guess meant reservation, didn't sound like the most fun place to grow up in. Though maybe Mr. Proudstar liked it just fine, he didn't seem like the type to have a bad childhood. Or maybe he was misreading the entire thing and just focus on the present instead of trying to figure out someone he had just met. James seemed like a good guy, that's all that should matter.

At the suggestion of going back down towards the waters edge Baki nodded once more, "Sounds good to me." And he was just about to step that way, when the coach asked him exactly what he could do which gave him pause. "Well, on a good day, I can run and swim for a long time, I know I can lift at least twice my weight, I can hold my breath underwater for a decent amount of time, and...well, I shoot I guess a heat, lightening, laser beam thing from my mouth. That last one was a recent development and I don't have great control of it just yet."

He was actually kind of afraid to test it because he might hurt someone or break something. It was one of those mutant things that was undeniably destructive. All the other stuff was just mere physical attributes but a beam of heat was just plain monstrous. There was no use for it in the world other than to cause problems. So far he's only had one misfire, one that left him feeling entirely drained, but only one. So if he could keep it that way, that'd be great, and so far, simply not firing it seemed to be doing a great job.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.