Thread of the Month:
I Wish I Was a
Little Bit Taller

Add Reply
New Poll

Somewhere Out There, Tues February 14, 11:30PM // closed
Ion
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 01:33 AM

Liv shivered as she hung in the air, the lake stretching out beneath her as her breath came out in visible puffs of frost. She’d wanted some air. The mansion had gotten stuffy and too full of people sucking face for her to want to inflict that level of self-awareness on herself. Even if she was alone by choice, it still stung to see all the cutesy bullshit and happy couples and escaping to the chilly outdoors was just the thing she needed to distract her.

It was impossible to feel sorry for yourself when you were freezing to death.

There was something incredibly relaxing about the lake. It had always given Liv some small amount of comfort. She could remember sitting on the bank before she was even a student there curled up against Merry while her big sister wrote out math problems in the sand for her to solve. She remembered hiding out by the lake when she’d first arrived as an actual student, lit up and untouchable, far away from the other students. Then the lake was her sanctuary, where she practiced her power training and learned how to control the limited scope of her powers.

She was hovering over the center of the lake, a little pink star that had almost fallen all the way, casting an eerie neon glow over the ice. Her boots were scant inches from the still surface, her hair was still loose, the wind was tousling it as she burrowed into her chunky scarf and the warm, sweet smelling old leather jacket. Scottie was right. It was like a hug.

With a small sigh she began to slowly drift back toward the bank. Liv was getting better at the flying thing, barely a wobble in her posture as she moved over the lake, boots touching down gently in the grass. She supposed she could just head inside but cold or not, she just wanted to enjoy the night. Cold air meant brighter stars and it had been ages since she’d just... laid back in the grass and appreciated the night sky. Not since-

Liv pulled the thought up short.

It was the sort of thing she’d used to do with Ben.

Scarlet Spider
PMEmail
^
Scarlet Spider
 Posted: Dec 5 2017, 10:41 PM

It was hard for Ben to say he really hated something, he didn't hate Valentine's day, he more just had a deep hurt that he was alone for all of it. Ben had no one to buy flowers, no one to give some stupid card, now more than ever before he felt like he had no one.

Even his roommate of all people had someone to spend valentines day with.

If that didn't hit him hard then he didn't know what might have, the little midget that he roomed with had a girlfriend and someone to hang out with on valentines (was he still grounded by the way?) while Ben was still sitting alone. Sure he probably could have just gone out with someone for the sake of not being alone, lots of people did that... But he didn't want to just go out with whoever. So instead of just feeling sorry for himself, or hanging around so he could just watch everyone else chewing each others faces off, he decided that he'd just to hang a hammock by the lake and avoid everyone.

The lake was pretty enough, he'd watched the sun go down... And then skipped dinner time by just sitting outside on his own to have a snack... And then now he figured if he just stayed outside until it got too cold to handle he'd be able to just avoid everyone. At least it was pretty out, and all the time alone gave him time to think, think about everything he'd done so far, think about what he'd told Kitty (did she end up quitting the ballet?), mostly though he just thought about what he could do for his future. Getting a job would probably help, maybe he could learn a skill. He was strong enough that being a mechanic might be easy because he could just lift the engines on his own without needing a heavy bit of machinery. Nah, probably best to not let the people he was working with know that he was a mutant.

Pulling his long legs up he rested his elbows on his knees and then put his chin onto his linked fingers, just staring out over the water as he pondered just what he could do with his life. Deep in thought, he didn't notice the pink sparkle that radiated from Liv as she floated over the water, nor did he notice that she was coming close to where he was sitting. It was not until the first crunch of her boots against the grass and dirt surrounding the lake that snapped him from his thoughts, "Shit Liv you startled me." On instinct he put his hand over his suddenly racing heart, and still no matter how dangerous she was there was no trigger of his spider-sense, he still trusted her so there was no warning from his bodies natural abilities. "You avoiding everyone inside too?" The traitorous and yearning part of him wanted to go back to the days when they'd sit out and look at the stars, he missed those days with an ache he could not explain. They'd been so innocent back then, back before anything happened and they were just two dumb kids sneaking out like they didn't have anything in the world to be afraid of.

"Do you want to hang out for a bit? It's not too cold yet and I could use the company."

Ion
PM
^
Ion
 Posted: Dec 14 2017, 12:17 AM

“I startled you?” Liv hadn’t noticed Scarlet Spider either. His voice had caught her off guard and she’d visibly twitched, spastically spinning around to face him. “I didn’t know you could be startled, Benji. Don’t you have that... Spidery thing?” Liv wiggled her fingers to indicate Ben’s spider sense. He was supposed to be impossible to surprise or sneak up on or attack wasn’t he? Liv’s eyes swept over Ben and up to the warmth and safety of the school. She hated it, but Liv still wasn’t entirely comfortable being alone with Ben.

Pulling her stolen jacket more closely around her for warmth, she looked up at Ben cautiously. “Yeah,” she answered quiet and more than a little uncertain. “It was all a little too lovey dovey for me. Figured I could just come out here and re-enact Alive.” It was fucking brisk out and she was in a skirt. “Coming outside was less cringe inducing than watching my sister and Trevor try to eat each other’s faces. Thankfully she doesn’t have that snake DNA anymore... Used to unhinge her jaw.” Liv buried her hands in the deep pockets of her jacket. “Did ya have a good day, Benji? Or did all the paper hearts and chocolate drive ya outside?” The corners of her eyes crinkled in amusement as she smirked up at him.

Her smile fell a bit at the offer to hang out. Yes. Her mind immediately answered for her but Liv’s mouth stayed pressed shut. Of course she wanted to hang out but that was what friends did. Liv wasn’t entirely sure she was ready to be friends with Ben Riley yet. “Ben...” The rest of his sentence caught up to her and her head tipped to the side in concern and curiosity. “Are you alright?” she asked quietly. “Did something happen?” Or maybe he was just lonely. It was a bit obvious people that the team had been excluding him since New Years.

And then he’d just been gone with no explanation.

And she didn’t think about him. Didn’t care anymore. Didn’t miss him until he was standing in front of her again in the ballet studio, telling her that teammates was just going to be temporary. Without thinking Liv moved a little closer to him, whether for warmth or to try and comfort him, Liv wouldn’t have been able to guess. “I was actually just thinking about you, ya know.”
PMEmail
^
Scarlet Spider
 Posted: Dec 18 2017, 05:10 AM

In hindsight, Ben should not have told Ion that she startled him.

While he did have his spider-sense, he didn't know how to explain to her that some people just didn't set it off anymore. She should have set it off, she was dangerous and should have had alarm bells ringing in his head ever since their little issue at New Years, but there was still nothing. "I do have that Spidery thing." He told her blandly, torn between behind honest and keeping some secrets to himself, "I trust you so you don't set it off." In the end honesty had won out- he felt stupid for admitting it out loud but it might have explained to her why he didn't stop her when she'd attacked him.

Strangely he still thought that maybe it had been for the best, so he still trusted her. He knew that he shouldn't have, but it was already so deeply ingrained into him that he didn't really know what she could have done to break his trust. He'd broken hers over and over again though. His mouth quirked up in a little half-smile as Liv began to explain why she was outside, trying to muffle a snicker at the idea of Merry trying to unhinge her jaw to kiss Trevor. He was starting to think that the man her sister had hooked up with had the patience of a saint, as he really didn't know if he'd ever be able to look at Liv the same if she just up and unhinged her jaw in front of him. All he did do was roll his eyes at Olivia, he was not even going to grace her shitty question about if he'd had a good day with any sort of answer. His day had been pretty terrible, but instead of saying anything he just rolled his eyes again and looked out at the water. Ben didn't want to just be an ass but right now being honest felt like it was a shitty thing to do, it wouldn't do him any good to really go into depth about the kind of day that he had.

"Nah nothing happened," He carefully dodged the part of the question where she asked if he was alright, he wasn't but he also didn't really want to burden her with his problems, "Just doing a lot of thinking really, it's easy to get caught up in your own thoughts when you're out here after dark. Without any city noise and with just the stars above its really easy to just forget about everything else except what you're thinking about." There was no helping the bitter feeling that crept up from the darkest pits of his despair, the feeling that told him her concern was too little and too late, that maybe if she'd been this concerned long before any of this shit had happened then maybe they wouldn't be standing there like that.

Except even without any prodding or deeper thinking, Ben understood that last year the old him would not have accepted her concern. Liv could have talked to him or asked him how he was doing until she was blue in the face and he would have just brushed her off like some crazy lady speaking in tongues.

"You were thinking about me?" Ben tried to hide the hopeful tone of his voice, shifting around until he was standing in front of her with his hands once more in his pockets. She'd said it like it was a good thing, like thinking of him didn't bring up every bad memory all at once and he could not help but be anything other than hopeful.
PM
^
Ion
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 02:27 PM

Trust. He trusted her... He trusted her? She’d electrocuted him, publically humiliated him on New Years and he trusted her. “Well that isn’t very smart of you, is it?” Olivia snarked back at Ben before she thought better of it. She had forgotten for a moment that they weren’t Ben and Liv anymore and hadn’t been for a while now. The biting repertoire wasn’t allowed by her own edict that they were merely teammates. She was breaking her own rules and Liv tried to cover it with an awkward little, “I didn’t know it worked that way,” shrugging within in the too large shoulders of Scottie’s jacket and letting her eyes fall.

“Thinkin’ huh?” Liv couldn’t help but smile down at their feet as Ben tried to roll his eyes straight out of his head. Well, she certainly hoped he didn’t hurt himself while he was at it. Ben never struck her as one who did a lot of thinking. “Well it’s quiet out here. It’s why I always liked hangin’ out by the lake. It’s beautiful and calm. I think we all need some calm from time to time.” Her gaze drifted out over the water for a moment before peeking up at Ben.

Olivia didn’t fully understand where she stood with the Scarlet Spider. Her feelings regarding Ben were confusingly mercurial. He’d ruined everything but when he wasn’t being a complete and utter jackass... She could see the guy she used to like. The guy she used to like, however, rarely made an appearance and Liv wasn’t going to wait around for him to figure his shit out.

“Yeah.” Liv made herself stay put instead of taking a step back from him. “Did ya think I just forgot about ya?” Of course she thought about him. It was hard not to. Most of her thoughts might have been about ways to get away with murdering him, but those still counted as thoughts. And out by the lake... It was hard not to think about who she thought Ben was and not who he had really been. A creep who had really only wanted one thing from her and it wasn’t her sparkling conversation.

“It was Valentine’s Day, Ben. I thought about you. I distracted myself with maths homework.” And Scott. “But I thought about you. I helped someone else get ready for a date tonight. She was excited and giddy and nervous and it was hard not to punch her in the face. I...” Liv had gone out to the lake because it was a place she was always happy, even with Ben. It had nice memories associated with it and while everyone else was sucking face, Liv wanted just a touch of happiness herself. “I thought about you, Ben. I miss you. It doesn’t change anythin’ but I do miss you. That’s what I came out here for.”

It didn't do her any good to miss him.

Liv wasn't sure Ben was ever going to be her Ben again. Or that he ever really was.
PMEmail
^
Scarlet Spider
 Posted: Dec 25 2017, 01:52 AM

Sure it was probably a pretty bad idea for Ben to actually trust Liv, but he only gave her a little half smile. He could not really say anything about the fact that he still trusted her, that had never been broken... She'd acted out in self-defence and there was nothing that he could really hold against her, he only had himself to blame at some point. "Yeah, I mean it's not really-" He shrugged because he didn't think he could actually explain any of it. "Hmm easy to think out here," He agreed that the lake had always been calm, glancing away to look out over the water.

"You probably would have been better off if you had." Ben had meant for the words to come out with a bitter snark, she was better off just forgetting all about him and living her life... Except when he actually said the words they sounded so resigned like he'd just finally realized what he was doing to her. Ben thought it might have been unfair to try and wedge himself into her life when she had obviously been flourishing without him. From his place on the outside, she looked like she was doing so well and he felt like he was just treading water as he struggled to stay afloat.

It would have been so much easier if he could have just hated her.

Looking back at Liv as she started talking again, he really should have been thrilled that she was thinking about him... "I miss you too." His voice was soft but he frowned and kept talking, "I miss being the guy that you used to look at with that smile, and I can't explain it but it just-" He remembered those days, when she'd smile brightly at him like she adored him. Those were the days back when she trusted him and he was not being weird- God, he'd just fucked everything up and now he didn't know how to hold it all together, taking a deep breath he decided to just tell her, "I've been thinking about leaving, I can't help but think that everyone here would just be so much better off without me. I'd be gone and then you wouldn't have that look on your face every time you accidentally run into me."

The look like she was some frightened deer and she was deciding if she should run away as fast as her legs could take her. "That's what I was thinking about..." He turned slightly so he was not facing Liv or her little sparkily cloud, "I just can't help but feel like I fucked everything up, I don't know how to be that kid you adored anymore, I don't know if I even ever really was him or if that was just some programming to make me seem harmless until I was needed to do some disgusting shit." It was the same frustrating train of thought that circled around and around in his head. "I fucked everything up and I am starting to think that it would be better if I left."

Strange really that they were having the same thoughts, that neither of them knew if he'd ever been that boy she'd been best friends with before, or if he ever truly was that kid. He would have loved to think that there was something more to him then that but he didn't know if there was. Would he always be this afraid that with a few commands he could be totally controlled again? "I wish I could just go back, that I could be that kid again. Instead, we came out of the lab and I was just-" He shivered then, just the mention of that place had his hair standing on end and the preternatural awareness of his spider sense kicking in, "You should go in, it's getting cold."

Giving Liv a smile he couldn't help the small part of him that wanted her to stay, he could tuck her against his chest and keep her warm. Except his fantasy was ruined when he remembered she was scared of him, that he'd hurt her badly enough that he could not see anything other than that fear on her face.

Ion
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.