Thread of the Month

Thread of the Month:
Getting Prehistoric

Add Reply
New Poll

Carnival - Pointy Toes and Pointy Words, Sun. Feb 12, 7PM // open
Ion
 Posted: Dec 5 2017, 02:20 PM

Liv had more or less forced herself to go to this thing. The girls from dance class had been planning it for over a month. It was sort of a tradition and not going wasn’t an option. Of course, Olivia had not been to a class since Zakharova had ensured her she would never dance professionally. Something about that knowledge had sucked the joy out of it. But still, Liv had let her hair loose, and took the L train to Staten Island. Even if they weren’t in class together anymore, Liv had known those girls for four years. They were her friends. Humiliated or not, she wasn’t going to give them up just because their instructor was a twat.

The small pink girl was tucked deeply inside a stolen jacket as she made her way up to the ice castle, exactly at seven, a small gaggle of bunheads was huddled waiting for the rest of their number to arrive. With a smile on her face, Liv adjusted her skirt and glided forward. “Hey, y’all,” she greeted. “Can ya believe they actually made an ice castle? It’s super pretty. Reckon they used salt to stick it all together?” Count on Liv to make scientific inquiry and sound like a hick while she did it.

A hush fell over the half dozen girls freezing their skinny asses off as they all looked at Liv with identical expressions of first surprise, then confusion, and then scorn. “Wow. You actually showed up. That’s ballsy.”

“Stupid is what it was.”

“I can’t believe you even came after what your freak friends did at the auditions.”

“My car was totalled!”

“And threatening Madame like that.”

“So unprofessional. She was right to ban you..”

“You’re not even welcome in classes anymore why would you think we wanted you here?”

It was all said very quickly and with such disdain that Olivia didn’t immediately know how to respond. That was a rarity. Both being speechless and being at the receiving end of such bitchiness.

“Fuck off, Liv.”

Jaw tightening, Liv’s neon eyes narrowed. “Wow, if only you danced as well as you threw shade,” she sneered right back. “Your Madame wouldn’t have had to sideline me to get you a part.” The girls weren’t stupid enough to start an actual physical altercation and with a few parting shots and tosses of fake blonde hair, the ballerinas sashayed off leaving Liv standing by the castle alone and struggling to contain her anger.

Cyclops
PMEmail
^
Nightmare
 Posted: Dec 5 2017, 09:45 PM

The winter carnival was something she'd been largely familiar with, though she had to admit she usually went with her little brother-or was he her big brother now? Samara wasn't very sure anymore, all she did know was they she was strongly urged to not contact anyone in her family. She understood why, explaining this to her parents and brother would be difficult, and they would probably try to lock her up at home instead of allowing the Professor and the other X-Men to help make it right.

She felt like no time had passed, but obviously she'd lost almost a third of her life and she wasn't entirely sure she was comfortable with that. When she viewed the security footage from the night club, she saw herself and even though the woman looked vastly different than Samara ever hoped to look, she was beautiful, and poised, and seemed to know exactly where she was in life. She seemed happy as she danced with her date and sipped cocktails and laughed. Samara wondered if she would even get back to that point, or if she would be stuck having to grow up all over again.

She'd locked herself away in the mansion for a while, trying to sort herself out and make sense of the weirdness that was her life, but she'd decided to make public appearances again, after a shopping trip had allowed her the opportunity to buy new clothes with her own money. Being a former adult apparently came with perks, like a platinum card.

She was content to just wander around and marvel at all of the attractions, the ice castle especially, except she happened to wander a little too close to a group of girls being particularly catty to someone, and her curiosity was piqued. What had this one girl done that deserved this kind of a tongue lashing? Moving her way closer to see what was going on while remaining as casual as possible, she burrowed her face a bit more into her thick scarf and her hands into the pockets of her coat, intent on just looking like another passerby, except she saw who the target of all the abuse was and she slowed, pretending to look at her phone as she pulled it from her pocket.

“Fuck off, Liv.”

Well that was unpleasant. She didn't exactly know the glowing pink girl all that well, but she did know that she was a student at Xavier's, and Samara was of the firm opinion that the students should stick together in the face of such obvious anti-mutant abuse. What else could those other girls have meant by 'freak friends' anyway?

Once the gang of girls began to wander away, Samara moved closer to the glowing pink ballerina and paused a moment, almost reaching out to touch the girl's elbow just so she knew someone else was there, but thought better of it before she finally just cleared her throat and stepped up to Ion's side, a small frown on her face as she unearthed herself from her scarf.

“Sorry hun, I overheard what they said to you, and I just wanted to come over and see if you were okay.. Like obviously you're not okay okay, but, you know what I mean anyway.” Samara pushed her long blonde hair back over her shoulder and turned her head to glare at the small gang's retreating forms. “I can't believe they would say all that, especially in public. Ugh, no class.” She turned back to look at Olivia, offering a small smile. “I'm Samara, I wasn't sure if you'd recognize me or not, but I recognized you. Were you supposed to meet up with anyone else or just them?” If Olivia didn't have anyone else to pal around with, Samara would feel just awful leaving her alone.
PM
^
Cyclops
 Posted: Dec 11 2017, 07:18 AM

Scottie was cold. How could this even be possible? He had grown up in Alaska for Christ’s sake; the temperatures in Anchorage in February were in the teens! New York City had turned him soft, that and the fact that he was missing the comforting warmth of his beat up biker jacket. He’d never admit it outloud but he’d been missing that stupid thing ever since he’d leant it to Ion. She needed it more than him though; there was something reassuring about the butter soft fabric, even the smell of the hide was a comfort. Pulling the collar of the navy woolen peacoat that he had donned in replacement of the leather up around his neck, blue eyes surveyed the bright lights of the Staten Island Winter festival through ruby red lenses. A smile lit up his face as he watched people pass by, Christmas had passed almost two months ago and yet there was an air of festive cheer about the place.

Once again he had not been sure about venturing out of the mansion that day. The last time he had followed the advice of those who recommended that he should have some fun he’d ended up attacked by wild animals and phased through a floor. Plus, attending carnivals or fairs ought to have been a group activity but the truth was that Scottie didn’t really have any friends. Or at least the ones that he did have were all grown up and probably not interested in hanging out with a kid. He’d somehow still made it out to Staten Island though, convincing himself that corn dogs, funnel cake and fairground attractions could be equally as fun without anyone else to enjoy it with. It was just after seven when he’d finally made his way into the throng of the crowd, inching his way through the sea of excited carnival-goers towards a magnificent illuminated ice castle. He figured there was as good a place as any to start, from there he would be relatively protected from the heavy numbers of visitors, tucked out of the way until he’d had time to get his bearings.

Standing a reasonable height above many of the people at Staten Island that day, Scott had spotted Olivia before he had reached the castle, she was wearing his jacket. He’d tried to catch her attention, waving at her from the crowd, but she was with a group of friends and hadn’t seemed to notice. Giving up, he continued to wade his way through the ambling troops until he had finally made it to the other side. It was only as he drew closer to gaggle of bunheads that Cyclops began to notice that something about their body language wasn’t right. The way that they stood, gathered in a defensive huddle with Liv set off to the side did not suggest that there was any warmth coming from the teenaged girls towards their former classmate. Frowning as he stepped ever closer, Scottie hung back for a moment and listened, not wanting to interfere straight away out of respect for Olivia’s reputation with the ballet dancers, and because he wasn’t entirely sure that he wasn’t misreading the situation.

“You’re not even welcome in classes anymore why would you think we wanted you here?”

Scott’s heart sank. Those girls were not worth the dirt they walked on and Liv was better off without them but no one deserved to have to hear the harsh words that had come from their stuck up little mouths. His expression twisted into one of anger as he remained where he stood, narrowed eyes contemplating the overly primped hair and designer shoes. These girls were nasty little witches; he had the impression they’d have looked for any excuse to throw their vile insults at Olivia. Not that he could blame the one who’d complained about her car, that had not been cool, Julian. Refraining from marching straight over to the group, Scott waited until they had begun to leave, punctuating their exit with another verbal kick to the ribs. Fuck off, Liv. What he really wanted to do was chase them down, to give them a piece of his mind but he knew that it wouldn’t be helpful, they’d only use if for further ammunition. He opted for supporting the other New Mutant instead, taking several strides forward to make his presence known. He was beaten to it though by a complete stranger and for a second Scott was left awkwardly hanging off the side whilst Nightmare finished offering her condolences.

He didn’t wait long for her to finish before stepping into view. “Liv.” He said with confidence, he wasn’t about to put on a display of sheepishness, that wasn’t what she needed right now. “I saw what happened.” Holding his arms out wide, he added “Hug?” Before continuing, directing his suggestion at Samara too. “Then why don’t we all go eat ourselves sick with funnel cake and candy floss? Maybe you could win me a stuffed animal on Cover the Spot?
PMEmail
^
X-23
 Posted: Dec 11 2017, 02:03 PM

Laura realized she had been a bit... distant lately. It was just she had been busy. She had accidentally stumbled into something of a web of disappearances, mostly of young kids only there weren't any connections, at least not any she could find. It was making her crazy. She had considered enlisting the help of the X-Men, but then they would find out what she was up to and despite Logan being fine with it she was pretty sure they would try to stop her "for her safety" or some other bullshitty reason. No adults had ever been worried about her safety before. She didn't need them to start now.

She had been paying some attention though and when Liv left their room she followed at a distance. She wasn't such a stalker that she had been reading Liv's phone or anything, but she knew her friend had been crushed over the loss of the ballet part. She hadn't even been going to class and the fact that she was headed out into the city alone, well maybe Laura wasn't any good at cheering someone up but the least she could do was make sure Ion didn't get herself into trouble. At least not by herself.

Except it wasn't the outing she had been expecting. She was meeting up with a bunch of girls Laura didn't recognize so she detoured to the kettle corn stand one ear pricked in case Mean Girls had become a gang. You never knew.

All that meant was when the girls were exchanging words was that at least when Laura appeared at Liv's shoulder she had food. "Bitch please," she said flatly to their retreating backs. Obviously being Laura she had no issues jumping right in and she stuck the popcorn out to offer to Liv. If Nightmare or Cyclops tried to take some she might have words for them. Or they might lose fingers. "I can break their knees for you if you want," she added only half joking. The other two might have trouble telling, it was delivered completely straightfaced, but their suggestions were nice, only not very helpful as far as Laura was concerned.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Ion
 Posted: Dec 13 2017, 03:09 PM

As the ballerinas sneered and walked off, Liv gave herself a moment to rein in her sudden desire to employ some of the various means of inflicting pain she’d been learning since October. Bright white sparks snapped around her in an angry flurry but it only lasted long enough for her to get a grip on herself. Liv was not some Brotherhoodlum. She didn’t resolve her heartache with violence no matter how much better that violence would have made her feel. Courtney in particular would benefit from a broken nose and all her hair fried off...

A small sound from her side drew Liv’s attention to a blonde she recognized from the school. One of the deaged people that had been brought in the night Kerr went batshit. Her name was like Sam without actually being Sam but Liv couldn’t remember it, at least not while she was distracted by rage and a weird pain in her chest. She wasn’t about to fall apart in public, though. “I’m fine,” she assured Nightmare without actually looking at her, eyes glued to the retreating dancers instead. “Samara, that’s right. Sorry I hadn’t remembered.... I’m Liv.”

“I was coming to meet up with them but I think I-” Liv was about to say she was going to just turn around and take a train back home but she was suddenly surrounded by others. Scottie and Laura appeared offering hugs and broken knees and the weight of her former classmates’ betray was lifted, just like that. She had thought they were all actually friends, not just competing for Zakharova’s attention. And while their dismissal hurt Liv wasn’t actually left alone. The bunheads weren’t even out of earshot before she had other New Mutants huddled around her and Liv shook her head, letting out a small laugh at X-23’s offer.

“Thanks, Lor, but I... I think I’m ok.” Liv nudged her roomie and shot her a smile. It was still a little sad but it was growing in brilliance as she turned it on Cyclops. Of course he’d caught her being humiliated yet again and Liv internally winced. “You’ve been hugging me all week,” she sassed at him, drawing the soft leather of his her jacket more tightly around herself. Maybe one more wouldn’t hurt, though and if she was honest... Liv could use one.

Smirking, she sunk into Scottie’s side, one arm going around his scrawny back. “Thanks,” she said quietly before adding, “Laura definitely needs cotton candy. You think Peeps are good, you’ll love this stuff. Sam, are you coming with us? They have these ridiculous snow sculptures behind the game booths that are worth checking out. And let’s see if we can ruin Scott’s night by winning him a Sponge Bob plushie and then explaining who Sponge Bob is.”
PMEmail
^
Nightmare
 Posted: Jan 2 2018, 03:47 PM

She offered up a sympathetic smile as Ion watched the snobby bunheads retreat. She didn't mind that Olivia hadn't remembered her name in that moment, the poor girl was occupied with other things, Samara couldn't expect her to remember every minute detail of life at the mansion, especially now that there were so many students to keep track of.

She stepped back a little when two more students stepped up to console their friend, and Samara wrapped her arms around herself with a small smile. It was good to see that others from the school had seen the way their fellow mutant had been treated and were willing to also offer support. Mutants who were obviously mutants, like Olivia, had a harder time being out in public. Samara was lucky really, the only thing she had to do was toss on a pair of sunglasses after she used her powers and no one could tell anything was different with her.

Looking around and taking in her surroundings she came to the realization that even this far into the future, the world still wasn't a very safe place for mutants. It broke her heart a little, had nothing changed in the ten or so years that had apparently gone by? Obviously not, if stupid little girls were allowed to be so cruel to another person in public and suffer no consequence. It sickened her to her core.

At least mutants were learning to stick together and support each other. It wasn't every man for himself, there were support systems in place, though she wondered how long that would last as well. She tried to catch up with current events, and she didn't like what she was seeing, especially on the political front. Mutant kind was in for a rough time in the coming years, and she wondered what the Professor and the other X-Men were going to do about it.

She hoped they didn't want to weather the storm and keep their heads down. That would be just like giving up, hiding and accepting their fate of heavy persecution wasn't the way Samara wanted to live her life.

She looked up when Olivia spoke to her again, he eyes lighting up at the prospect of joining the other teens for some carnival fun. Sure, the dark haired girl, @X-23, seemed a little strange, asking if violence would help, and the tall boy, Cyclops, she almost recognized seemed a little shy, but she'd been invited to have fun and she wasn't going to back down just because of some weird timeline tangles and some political unrest.

“Yes, that sounds fantastic.” She glanced into her purse for a moment, making sure she had her cards and cash. “If we find a Darts booth, I'll win us all some posters. It's like, the one thing I'm kind of good at.” She burrowed her face a little further into her scarf with a grin. “Do...do they still have the gyro stand here? I know they used to, but this is my first time being here in a long time.” That should be a simple enough explanation for the others about how weird the passage of time had been for the blonde.
PM
^
Cyclops
 Posted: Jan 7 2018, 10:47 AM

A small sigh left Scott as Ion leaned into his side; he was just happy that Liv was willing to let her guard down for once and accept comfort where it had been offered. Cyclops wasn’t the type to let a friend suffer through hurt on their own but it could be difficult when the other person put up walls or pretended that everything was okay. He reciprocated, wrapping an arm around the much smaller girl and gently squeezing her shoulder, a smile on his face as he looked down at her through ruby coloured lenses. “No problem.” He replied, his voice as quiet as her’s. His next statement was spoken to the group. “I have no idea what a Spongebob is but I’m not gonna be embarrassed by having one won for me…” His brow knitted in confusion; unless a spongebob was something rude he wasn’t really sure why it would embarrass him if one of the girls won on.

Stepping away from Liv he beamed across at the other girls, even at X-23 who without saying a word to him had communicated a rather intimidating presence that warned Scott to be wary. Perhaps it was offering to break the knees of the dancers...yeah, that was probably it. “I’ll just call you Tonya from now on.” He said to Laura, referring to the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident of 1994. Taking a few steps away out towards the crowd of visitors bustling from one attraction to the next, he turned to the three girls and announced. “So unless anyone has any objections, cotton candy and darts it is!” Someone had to get them moving and the natural born leader in the young Cyclops had him taking a subtle command of the situation.

As they group moved through the crowd in search of the nearest candy floss stand, Scott turned to Nightmare. He remembered her from that night at the club, the night they’d been deaged. “It’s Samara right?” He said quietly, leaving Liv and Laura to chat amongst themselves. “You were there the night we all…” He couldn’t think of how to finish his sentence, it was still really weird to him that he had once been twice the age that he was then. “It happened to you right?” He gestured to himself. “The being young again thing? I’m sure I recognise you from after.” He hadn’t actually had a chance to properly talk about it with anyone else going through the same thing. When he wasn’t in class or hanging out with Liv, he was being interrogated by people who used to call him ‘Boss.’

Do you remember anything from before it happened? Like, any of the stuff that happened to your adult self?” Realising suddenly that questioning a near stranger on a subject that he himself found uncomfortable, Scott’s eyes went wide. Cheeks flushing red he turned to the girl again with an apologetic expression. Swiping a hand through neatly arranged brown hair, he heaved a sigh. The one chance he’d had to speak to someone and it was totally a wrong “Sorry, forget I asked. Let’s just go have fun!” By this time they had reached the stand that he had been searching for and he turned back to the whole group. “So who wants candyfloss? My treat.
PMEmail
^
X-23
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 05:39 PM

Well alright, if Liv didn't want any broken knees Laura would restrain herself. No reason to ruin what could be a perfectly good night for breaking bones. Even if it would have been satisfying. She would have to find some other way to cheer Ion up instead and since she could smell all kinds of sugary scents in the air along with all the normal food this was probably the place for it.

She did give Liv a little bit of a side eye when she hugged Cyclops. Sure he was in miniature now, but he still had a big stick up his butt. Also even if he was their age she couldn't get over that he had been their ancient leader and her annoying mentor. Seemed like she had slipped through the cracks thus far though or no one wanted to mentor her. Which wasn't exactly a bad thing since she wasn't keen to have more homework.

"If it's candy I want some," she told Liv. The girl knew her so well. Besides, now that she was here she was going to make the most of it. She hadn't wanted to do her Geometry problems anyway and she had never been to a carnival. The whole thing was such an explosion of colors and noises, one night was not enough time to see it all. She brightened even more at the mention of darts. "That sounds fun." Of course her mental image involved throwing them at people... she was soon to be disappointed. She took another inhale, sorting through the scents for what Nightmare was after. "Gyros are that way," she pointed, conveniently in the direction they were headed. Even with everything else in the air it was impossible to miss out on the very distinct feta and taziki scents. "I'm Laura," she informed Samara a few minutes later as they started walking. She did shoot Scott a funny look though. "Tonya who?" He was even weirder as a teenager than as an adult. Ugh.

He was offering candy though, so maybe he wasn't completely a lost cause. While he did that she had meandered to the stall next door, the aforementioned darts which was apparently balloon targets rather than people. Life was so full of disappointments. That didn't stop her from forking over money to play. They had giant balloons shaped like hammers. She needed one. It was necessary. She could hit Julian over the head with it when he said something dumb. "Let's start here. And look your sponges are at that water gun game." Along with a giant pink unicorn ala Despicable Me. Yeah. She needed one of those too. No mercy to the rest of the competitors, she had prizes to clean up.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Shadowplay Topsites | RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.