Character of the Month:
Mo'o

Member of the Month

Member of the Month:
Zel

Thread of the Month

Plot of the Month:
The Savage Land

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Me Desculpe, March 4th | 3:55 PM | Closed
Mimic
 Posted: Mar 16 2018, 03:20 PM

It was nearly four o'clock in the afternoon by the time Calvin returned to the apartment following his lunch with Jean. He had meant to be home earlier, but he had gotten caught up in conversations with Jean, and coupled with the good food and more than a couple of glasses of sparkling Italian wine, he had simply lost track of time. If it wasn't for the healing factor and advanced metabolism he possessed, Calvin would no doubt have been just a little bit drunk. It wouldn't have mattered though, nor did it matter that he arrived home later than he had intended, because when he got there Sunspot wasn't there.

Calvin knew before he had even reached the door that his love wasn't present. He had come to form a rather intimate telepathic connection with the man, and even without that his enhanced senses or ability to detect mutants would have informed him of his boyfriend's absence. His stomach had tied into an uncomfortable knot at the realisation that Roberto wasn't there. Calvin knew that he had screwed up today, going to meet Jean for lunch after telling his boyfriend that he would rather just spend his birthday at home only a day ago. He did not regret having lunch with Jean, but he felt bad about how it had come about. How he could have handled the situation better, Cal wasn't sure, he just knew that he had done so poorly.

Making his way towards their living room, Calvin pulled his phone from his pocket and let himself drop onto the couch, heaving a sigh as he did so. The present Jean had given him was deposited next to him. He tried calling Berto first, but when he went to voicemail instead of his boyfriend answering his phone, Cal sent him a text to let him know he was home instead. Everything else he had to say to him, including how sorry he was for ditching him in favour of Jean, he decided he would tell him when they spoke face to face later.

Grabbing the television remote, Calvin settled onto the couch properly and turned on the TV. His mood was lifted immediately when he realised that she show he'd stumbled upon was one of Berto's favourite telenovellas, then dipped just as quickly when it dawned on him that his boyfriend wasn't there to enjoy it with him. Resting his head on the pillow, Calvin considered trying to call Roberto again, but decided that wherever the man was, he'd let him have his space until he was ready to talk. Until then Calvin would just watch this telenovela by himself, or as it turned out a few minutes later, fall asleep and miss most of it. After three years lacking in comfort, it seemed like any surface that actually was comfortable worked wonders to put him to sleep.

--

Calvin wasn't sure how long he had been asleep, or when Roberto had actually returned, but a sudden loud noise startled him from his slumber. He was on his feet immediately, skin turned to steel and his claws popped. Another consequence of three years in the Savage Land, where despite the relative safety of the fortress they had built for themselves, he'd never really had the sense of security needed to get a proper night's rest. When his mind caught up to where he was though, Calvin instantly relaxed and sheathed his claws again, skin turning back from steel to flesh.

"Bonito." he sighed with relief. "Sorry, you startled me. I must have dozed off..." Cal's eyes briefly shifted to the couch before levelling with Roberto's again. Drawing in a deep breath, Calvin held it for a moment as he looked at his love and then released it again. "I'm sorry for today, Beto," he started off, figuring he might as well begin with the apology that his boyfriend was due. "I should not have told you I didn't want to do anything today, then run off to have lunch with Jean." He wanted to say more, to tell Berto why he had done it, or add more to his apology, but he wasn't sure what else to say. It was probably best to gauge just how upset Beto still was with him first anyway, so he'd actually have some idea of how he'd best handle the mess he'd created.
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Mar 19 2018, 06:29 AM

To say that Roberto was more than a little put out by the way that his day had gone so far was an understatement. Maybe he just did birthdays differently than most but to his understanding they weren’t the kind of day for just making plans on the fly. At least not if you had already told your boyfriend that you didn’t want to do anything out of the ordinary. Calvin hadn’t exactly asked him to but out of respect for his boyfriend’s wishes, particularly considering his recent return from three years of rough living, Berto had cancelled the plans that he had made. It went against every fibre of his being to stay at home instead of putting on some grand celebration but it was what his love had wanted and Roberto would have given Cal the world if he’d asked for it so a mundane birthday was not beyond his capability. He just wanted Mimic to be happy and honestly if a day on the sofa was what it took then Sunspot was happy to oblige.

So it had come as more than a bit of a surprise when, following what he had thought to be the perfect beginning to a birthday morning, Cal had informed him that he was going out to lunch with Jean. Roberto’s immediate reaction had been a quiet and somewhat stunned “oh”; the agreement to meet Jean despite his claims of wanting to stay at home had come without pause and that had been what had struck the Brazilian most. He had dropped everything because there had been no hesitation from his boyfriend when his birthday had been mentioned in expressing a desire to not go anywhere but for Jean apparently things were different. It just felt to Berto like he was being passed over for something better because whatever plans he might have had certainly hadn’t been good enough to pull Calvin from his desire to stay in, unike Jean’s. It wasn’t important that he hadn’t actually told his love what he had planned, only that there were plans.

That Jean had not bothered to even check whether Roberto had arranged anything for the day, or considered that he ought to have the monopoly over his boyfriend on the first full day together back in New York after what had been three years apart for at least one of them was particularly galling. He got it, he was not any X-Man’s favourite person and he doubted very much that they had hung onto his number after he had left the mansion but he was not a difficult person to get hold of. Plus they’d only seen each other in person the day before, could she not stand the sight of him so much that she couldn’t have deigned to mention that she’d made reservations? Common courtesy dictated that friends and loved ones check with the boyfriend before demanding the birthday boy’s attention no matter what their view was of how to celebrate, Berto was sure of that. He just couldn’t shake the feeling that this had been a deliberate attempt at sabotage and that stung.

It hurt worse that Cal had fallen for it so readily. So Roberto had sulked his way through the next few hours, ignored the brunch that he had planned to make for them both, convincing himself that Calvin would be eating a full meal later so what was the point? Never mind the fact that his boyfriend had a ridiculous metabolism. He had neglected to show Calvin the cake that he had, had commissioned because no doubt the marvelous Jean Grey would have one waiting for him- just another way to show him up, Roberto guessed- and decided that gifts would wait until later. It was a particularly petulant reaction to sore news but Berto had never been above reacting childishly to something that he did not like. When the time had come for Cal to leave, he had not refused a kiss goodbye but neither did he put on a front of being happy about the situation. His boyfriend had been gone barely two minutes when he had stormed out of the door himself.

If today was going to be just like any other day, when boyfriends ditched plans to meet friends for lunch, then Roberto might as well treat it as such. So he’d headed to Mutant Town for a meeting about a building he was looking to buy and when that was done had holed up in his Manhattan office for a few hours to attend a couple of Skype meetings and complete some paperwork. There were plans in the making for a New York venture that he hoped would be his way of giving back to a city that had done so much for him over the past decade, and for making amends for what he had done to the people at Xavier’s. Never one to sit on an idea for too long he had committed to purchasing the rundown unit on East 6th Street before the afternoon was up and what had followed were numerous phone calls to contractors, investors and to various contacts and connections that he had across a wide range of sectors.

It was almost five o’clock when, having lost track of time, he had made his way back to the apartment that he shared with Mimic. Coming through the doorway it did not make Roberto feel any better to find his boyfriend asleep on the couch. Even though it really ought not to have done it was particularly irksome to Roberto to see that Cal had, had such a good time with his friend that it had apparently wore him out. Suffice it to say, his reaction was less than mature as he approached the coffee table that sat less than two feet from where Calvin slept and slammed his briefcase down atop it as hard as he could manage without breaking the glass. The resulting clatter startled the sleeping mimic awake and although it had been his intention all along to wake him, it did make Beto wince to see Cal respond so defensively; assuming his steel form and popping his claws. “Hmmm.” Was the only response that he gave though.

Sinking into the other couch, Roberto crossed one leg over the other, his arms folded over his chest. He was about ready to ask the other man how his lunch date had gone, in as unimpressed a tone as he could muster, when Calvin got there first. “No. You shouldn't have.” He said in response to the apology, his tone harsh. “I know that you didn’t ask me to but I cancelled the plans that I had made because you said that you wanted to stay at home.” Taking a deep breath, Roberto looked away from his boyfriend. “It was hurtful that you didn’t seem at all like you wanted to stay in when Jean Grey came calling.” Reaching forward he took the briefcase from the coffee table and brought it to his lap, opening it up he began to idly shuffle the papers inside. “But it’s fine. You wanted your birthday to pass by quietly. I’ll have the maid clear away the things that I had her lay out this morning. I have plenty of paperwork to get on with whilst you-” He gestured over to the other seat. “-sleep on the couch.
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Mar 19 2018, 04:22 PM

The severe way that Berto responded to his apology caught Calvin by surprise. He knew that he had made a mistake, that he had handled his decision to go have lunch with Jean poorly. But while he had been aware that he'd left his boyfriend behind feeling displeased, he had no idea he was this angry about it. And honestly, the way Beto was reacting to this felt completely out of proportion relative to what had happened. Completely unfair too as a response to an honest apology from someone acknowledging they had should have handled differently. It was petty, petulant and passive aggressive, without even the slightest attempt at understanding the why behind Calvin's choice or an acknowledgement that Cal had apologised. His jaw tightened and his lips pursed, Cal decided he would not comment on his boyfriend's behaviour until Beto dismissively gestured towards the couch and made it sound like Calvin just wanted to sleep through the remainder of his birthday. As if dozing off was now somehow offensive behaviour as well.

"Really?" he spoke up sharply. "That's what you're going to go with? I tell you I'm sorry and all I get is this?" Calvin gestured towards Roberto. "What else do you want from me? Yeah, I told you I just wanted to stay at home and not do anything special for my birthday. Then I changed my mind. I honestly wasn't aware that lunch was that big a deal, not when it was just three hours out of an entire day that I planned to spend with you. Hell, out of an entire life I want to spend with you." Agitated, Calvin fidgeted with his hands, quietly wondering if maybe it would be best if he just walked out now, but he wasn't done setting his boyfriend straight yet.

"You know what? I take it back," Cal started again, crossing his arms. "No apology for you. Could I have told Jean no? Maybe." It wasn't like he hadn't before, like when she had wanted him to stay at Xavier's, or when she'd wanted him to come back to Xavier's after that. "But why should I? She's the one person who's always been there for me, ever since my mom died, someone who always supported me no matter what. Besides Reece, she's the closest thing I've got to family." Honestly, Calvin wasn't even sure why she supported him without question, but the fact remained that her support had been unwavering. She'd even reeled herself back in when it came to Berto back when it still seemed like he'd been responsible for Bobby's death, just for Cal's sake.

"So don't go treating me like I'm some kind of Judas for agreeing to go have lunch with her. Three days before we're leaving for Rio indefinitely, I might add." Saying goodbye to someone as important to him as Jean when they were moving so far away seemed fair enough to him, but Cal wasn't sure if that was something Beto had even taken into consideration. "And definitely don't give me any of this--" Cal gestured at Roberto again "--when I'm apologising to you." He deserved better, he thought. Taking Roberto's feelings into account, weighing his own actions against them, then making an effort to reconcile only to be shut down the way he had was not fun.

Cal fell silent then, sucking in a sharp breath as he just stood there for a moment. Another apology almost slipped from his lips, but he bit it back this time. He hated talking to his boyfriend like this, but it wasn't the first time that Berto had acted up in such a way, and this time around Calvin was not going to just let it slide. "I'm just... going to go now," Calvin told Roberto then, gesturing towards the door leading towards the room that had been turned into his own little art studio. Maybe painting would help calm him down, or perhaps splashing a couple of angry colours onto a canvas would prove cathartic. Walking over to the door leading out of the living room, Cal paused briefly to look back towards Berto one last time. "Oh, and sleeping on the couch?" he added. "I think I'll do just that tonight." Cuddling was just an inevitability when the two of them shared a bed, and right now that just didn't seem like the best idea.

Sunspot
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Mar 20 2018, 05:59 AM

Taken aback by Cal’s sharp reply Roberto shifted uncomfortably in his seat, brown eyes searching to focus on anything other than his boyfriend. He was still unreasonably cross, a churning whirlpool of emotions twisting him up on the inside until he felt so tense he was liable to snap at any moment. A painful ache pulsed across his shoulders and down his arms, pinching at the wrists and exiting through fingertips that drummed lightly on his thigh. One, two, three, four, five. His lips were pursed, his expression unwavering from the cool anger that had passed over his features from the moment he had settled onto the couch. One, two, three, four, five. He was sad too that he had disappointed his boyfriend, though nothing about his posture or the way that he refused to meet Mimic’s gaze gave evidence to that fact. The leather briefcase that had been nothing more than a prop in a calculated display of petty displeasure lay abandoned on his lap, tipped at an angle from the position of his body, the papers it contained beginning to spill out against the backrest. One, two, three, four, five.

At Cal’s mention of Jean, Roberto’s whole body tensed, his back stiffening so that the ache that was throbbing at the base of his neck was made worse, forcing his eyes to shut though he chose to keep them that way for the moment. It was an impossible situation; he couldn’t compete with someone like Jean who had been in Cal’s life for over a decade, whose unwavering support had earned her a particularly special place in the man’s heart. Support that Roberto was not even able to give his boyfriend when all that he had wanted to do was see a friend on his birthday. Another article of evidence in the mounting pile of examples of why he could never be good enough, why he didn’t deserve the one who stood before him now, angry and upset. What did he really have to offer Calvin that others could not give him? Thinking really hard on that question only brought him to an answer that he did not wish to dwell on; money. That was really all that he was worth to anyone. He’d not given his love anything else in their short time, except for disappointment and now this, unnecessary drama over a lunch date.

Roberto had had every right to be a little annoyed by the sudden intrusion on the day, for the lack of consideration for what he might have had planned, but anything over and above that had been uncalled for and he already felt terrible for the way that he had reacted. It had not been his intention when the two had woken up that morning to end the day by upsetting Cal but here they were. Not much of what had been said to him since he had taken his seat had registered with the Brazilian. The tone of his boyfriend’s voice was enough, the general feeling in each sentence, the odd word and phrase coming through the cloud of introspection that had come over him since Cal had first spoken up. He felt sick; this was the second time in only a few days that the pair had argued over seemingly nothing and both times had been his fault. They were going to fall apart and he’d have noone to blame but himself and his temper.

It was inevitable; the people that he loved always left him and for each there had been some way that it was his fault. His mother for whom he was not good enough to keep her interest, Juliana; killed by a bullet meant for him, his father who’s untimely death had occurred as a result of overworking himself when Roberto could have been there to ease the strain and now the distance between himself and Sam as a result of his own stupid mistake. It wouldn't be long before Cal would decide that he deserved better, Beto had let him down enough times over the past two months. Looking back over at his boyfriend, he took a deep breath and tried to speak into the silence that had fallen between them but no words would come. He was sorry but stubborn determination refused to allow him to admit it. So instead he gathered up the papers that had threatened to abandon his briefcase altogether shuffled them into order and returned them, closing the case up and returning it to the coffee table.

Fine.” was all that he said when Cal announced that he would be leaving and although his tone was cold, Roberto’s heart leapt into his stomach. He hadn’t noticed at first that he was gesturing towards the door to his studio and for a brief moment he had thought that Calvin meant he was leaving the apartment. Heaving a breath as it was made known that his boyfriend would not be joining him in bed that evening Roberto looked away wordlessly and as the door to the art room clicked shut he rested his head in his hands. “Merda!” This was not how he had imagined the day to go. “<You’re a fucking idiot, Costa.>” He told himself off. “<A spoiled fucking idiot.>” Running a hand through his hair, Beto stood from his seat and made his way into the kitchen. “<You couldn’t have just asked him if the food was good?>” Pouring himself a glass of water, he took a sip before setting the glass down and leaning against the quartz worktop.

At least twenty minutes passed before he moved again, making his way across the apartment to the studio. Stopping at the door to collect his thoughts, Beto blew a long puff of air between his lips before reaching up to knock. He didn’t wait for a reply before pushing the door open, the knock had been more of a courtesy to let his boyfriend know that he was there. Still he did not make his way into the room, stopping in the entrance, hands stuffed in his pockets and leaning against the frame. He watched Cal in silence for a few moments before finally speaking up. “I was a jerk just then.” He began before stopping suddenly, unsure of what to say next. “I’m sorry” felt necessary but lacking. He wanted to explain why he had reacted the way that he had but didn’t want to come across like he was trying to justify his behaviour so chose to say nothing in that regard. “Don’t sleep on the couch tonight. That’s not what I meant.” He really hadn’t meant anything by it at all. Unbuttoning his collar, he swallowed before admitting.

I don’t know why I reacted the way that I did but it wasn’t okay. Querido, I’m sorry.
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Mar 21 2018, 06:14 AM

A sigh escaped from Calvin's lips as he entered his art studio, the door clicking shut behind him. He did not at all enjoy walking out on his boyfriend the way he had, but right now it felt like the best thing to do. They were both very emotional creatures, and he did not want to see how things could escalate further. Stepping away into what he'd come to consider his own space inside the apartment, the art studio that his boyfriend had so generously allowed him to set up, felt like a necessity. It was where he usually went when he needed to think, or when he simply needed to occupy himself with something he loved or distract himself from something he did not. Fighting with Sunspot definitely fell into the latter category.

Making his way over to the easel stood right near the window, Calvin grabbed the last piece he'd been working on and carefully set it aside, then turned on two of the extra lamps that had been set up there to provide proper lighting even after the sun had start to set. Grabbing an empty canvas, Calvin set it up on the easel and then went about grabbing the brushes and paints he figured he would use for this new painting. He didn't know what he wanted to make yet, but he did know he wanted to go with reds and darker tones for this. Once he was set up, Calvin simply started working, bringing the brush to the canvas and just going with the flow. His style was normally a modern realism, but for this he was just letting his heart speak, starting on what was looking to be an abstract piece for which "Frustration" would be an apt title.

Time passed by quickly once Calvin begun painting, and before he knew it there was a knock on the door, followed shortly by his boyfriend appearing in the doorway. Calvin kept his gaze focused on the canvas, the brush stroking across it in a seemingly haphazard but actually methodical manner. It was not until Roberto spoke up that Calvin stopped and looked over at him. "You were," he agreed in a curt manner, turning his attention back towards the canvas. Closing his eyes, Calvin took in a breath of air through his nose and then set the brush down. He was not going to be like this; they were two adult men, and they needed to talk like they were instead of acting petty. Cal had already done enough of that by insisting that he would be sleeping on the couch, and did not want to make things worse by refusing to discuss what had just happened between them.

"It's fine," he assured his boyfriend when he apologised to him. Turning to face Roberto, Calvin considered that for a moment before he spoke up again. "Actually, no it's not fine," he decided. "You were right to be upset, because I'd acted inconsiderately towards you, but that--" Calvin gestured in the direction of where they'd been twenty minutes ago, "--was a bit much. But what's really not fine here is that something is bothering you, and you don't know what it is." There had to be more to this than "You had lunch with Jean on your birthday", because that of itself did not deserve a response like that.

"Come," Calvin said as he telekinetically pulled the stool he'd sometimes sit on during long sessions towards him, giving it a pat. "Have a seat." Once his boyfriend complied, Cal first leaned in towards him to place a kiss on his lips. It was just an impulse that came with Roberto being in his proximity, and in this case held more importance to the man because, despite his boyfriend's earlier behaviour, he needed to provide him with actual, physical proof that the love he felt for him had not diminished. "If you don't know why you reacted the way you did, then we need to talk about it," he told Beto. Picking up his brush again, he glanced at his boyfriend from the corner of his eyes as he resumed his painting. "I feel like this is about more than just me having lunch with Jean, and I want to understand what it is." Turning his focus back towards the canvas, Calvin heaved a light sigh. "I don't expect you to just provide an answer," he stressed, not wanting Beto to feel like he suddenly had a large weight resting upon his shoulders. "I just don't want this to linger between us." That did not sound healthy for any relationship. Setting his brush aside again, so he could focus his attention fully on Roberto, Calvin turned back towards him and took one of his hands in his own, offering him a warm smile. "So, please just... tell me what's going on in that beautiful head of yours, and maybe we can figure it out."
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 05:10 AM

Taking a deep breath Roberto stepped into the studio taking a seat where his boyfriend had asked him to. He could tell from the tone of Calvin’s voice that he wanted to talk about what had just happened but wasn’t at all sure that he really wanted to himself. Sighing heavily as a kiss was pressed to his lips Beto cast his eyes down to the floor, resting his elbows on his knees, chin propped up on the back of his hands. Sure enough the request came for the two of them to talk and he closed his eyes to avoid another sigh escaping him. There wasn’t anything to say, he had behaved like a child and there really wasn’t any more to it. Cal had spent a perfectly lovely afternoon, Beto was sure, with a close loved one and he had ruined that in only a couple of minutes by overreacting to what really shouldn’t have been anything more than a mildly disappointing change in the day’s running order. Shifting his position as Calvin reached for one of his hands, he smiled back, sweeping a hand through his hair with the other. “Can we not?” He said quietly. He didn’t mean to be combative but he just didn’t feel like there was anything to discuss.

Nothing is going to linger, Cal.” It really wouldn’t if they didn’t let it. It was a short lived spat over absolutely nothing and providing his apology was accepted as sincere then there was no reason to revisit it. The day could still be salvaged if they just agreed to move on. “This is just me. I’m childish and spiteful and spoiled. I don’t respond well to not getting exactly what I want.” He had not been raised to behave that way but it was simply an unfortunate consequence of growing up incredibly wealthy. He’d not wanted for a single thing his entire life, if he asked for it then he got it, if something was promised to him then it was delivered without question and as quickly as possible. After twenty five years of this he had never really developed the skills to cope when things didn’t go his way. “I love you. All that I can do is promise to try to be better.” Except that really only explained the way that he had chosen to react and didn’t go all of the way to providing an answer for why it had made him so cross in the first place because spoiled or no, Cal taking three hours out of a day for lunch with a friend should not have felt like complete abandonment.

Smiling again, Roberto gave his boyfriend’s hand a gentle squeeze and drew in a breath. Silence fell between the two of them for a minute and in that time he couldn’t pull his eyes away from Cal’s. He could see in the other man’s expression that he wasn’t going to get away with not talking, that even if he felt there was nothing to say, Mimic was not at all in agreement. Brows knitting into a frown he pulled away, twisting his body in the stool so that he had almost turned his back on Calvin. With his elbows back on his knees he ran both hands over his face and through his hair. “I’m not sure what to say though.” He said, finally answering Cal’s previous request to tell him what was going on his in head. There was a moment of pause and then he spoke, blurting out the first thought that came to mind without any consideration for whether it made any sense or if what would come after it would be at all related. “It’s not easy for me knowing that you’re so close with Jean.” Not that he had anything against the woman at all. She’d never been anything but pleasant to him over the years even when he had returned to the mansion after everything with the Kick.

I’m not jealous, just…” What if she took him away? He had done terrible, unforgivable things that she had every right to hate him for. He didn’t expect her to stoop so low as to try to steer Calvin way from their relationship but what if he spent enough time with her to just...see the light? Roberto had never really been able to understand what Calvin saw in him; when they had met he had just murdered someone, hardly an attractive quality in a person. He didn’t doubt for one second that Cal loved him but that didn’t mean he was confident it was going to last. Not wanting to go down that path Roberto stopped himself and changed course a little. “Texting you this morning to demand your company. It felt, to me, like a purposeful attempt at sabotage.” Though how that could have been the case was anybody’s guess. Jean wasn’t to know that in taking Cal for lunch, she was offering more than what Roberto could given that he had cancelled his own plans. “I don’t know, I felt like I’d been passed over for something better. Like you had suddenly realised that spending the day with me wasn’t such a great option.

He sounded like a crazy person. Cal would do well to grab his things and leave because the level of insecurity that Sunspot was displaying right then was too much. The old him would have backed out of the room slowly if a partner had begun to show such dependence, or failing that had his security team eject them from the building. They had been seeing each other for not even two months, getting wound up about a lunch date was a red flag. Leave now Cal, it’ll be far easier now than later on down the line.It’s not even that, that bothered me though I don’t think. I’m not sure.” Letting out a light growl of frustration he rose from the stool and paced a little in place. “It just hurt because I had wanted to do something special but you didn’t want that from me. Yet when someone else, someone clearly far better, wanted that you didn’t seem to pause for even a second before saying yes.” He’d been cast aside for much better, much more exciting things before, he knew what it looked like and he knew all too well how it felt. His own mother had done it enough times in the past and then she had abandoned him completely.

Throwing his hands up in the air, Roberto turned back around to face his love. He tried to keep his expression neutral as he looked over. “Cal, I don’t want to talk about this anymore, I can hear how ridiculous I sound and it’s making me cross. Ok? Can we just forget this ever happened and go eat cake?
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 07:07 AM

Despite his initial reluctance, Beto thankfully opened up to Calvin a little about what had been bothering him. It hurt him to see his love like this, to hear him express what had driven him to responding to Cal going to lunch with Jean the way he had. But although Calvin wanted to jump in on several occasions to assure his love that he was overthinking things, or that his perception of the way things were did not match the reality of it, he kept silent. He had urged Sunspot to talk about what was going on in his head, and it simply wouldn't be right if he interrupted the man as he did just that. He'd be quietly supportive, offering a smile here and a nod there, not speaking up again until Beto was done speaking. He could have left it at that then, honouring Beto's wish to move on, but as much as he wanted to move on from their little spat as well, Calvin didn't think it was the right thing for them to do.

"You don't have to talk about this anymore," Calvin assured his boyfriend. He would have liked it if Beto had been able to talk some more about what was bothering him, but Calvin wasn't going to put any more pressure on the man to do something that had him so uncomfortable. Besides, with what they had discussed about his therapy sessions and his past before today, and what he told him just now, it was pretty clear to Cal what was going on here. Despite his bravado, and the air of confidence he carried himself with, Beto dealt with some deeply rooted insecurities, thanks in no small part to the mother who had abandoned him when he was little. Cal hoped he would never have the displeasure of meeting Nina da Costa, because he very much doubted he'd be able to conduct himself properly in the woman's presence.

"But we can't just ignore it happened, and I do need to talk about it some more. Come here." Reaching for his boyfriend, Calvin pulled him into his arms for a big hug. It was Calvin's go to move when it came to providing comfort, not just with Berto, and at the same time helped him feel better too. "I need you to know that I love you more than anything," he told his boyfriend quietly. This was not something that had ever been in doubt, of course, especially not after Calvin had held out for his love for over three years in the Savage Land, but it didn't hurt to remind him about that either.

Breaking off the hug, Calvin took a step back and brought his hand up to Beto's face, nudging his love's chin up a little so he could look him in the eyes properly. "There is no one better for me than you. It's not even a contest." More than anyone else, Beto had helped Calvin mind the peace of mind that had made it so he could work on becoming a better man, and he loved him so much that the mere thought of no longer having him in his life made him feel sick to the stomach. His affection for the beautiful Brazilian mutant ran deep, but as all-encompassing as it felt sometimes, did not overwhelm Cal so much that he couldn't spend a moment away from him. That wouldn't be healthy if it were the case.

"I don't need anything special from you," Cal stressed next, not leaving a moment's pause for his boyfriend's mind to wander before he continued. "Every single moment I spend with you is already special to me. Taking a few hours out of that doesn't diminish how much you mean to me, because like I told you before, I want to spend my entire life with you." He wasn't even sure if, stewing as he had been in his own bad mood, Beto had even caught that when he'd mentioned it earlier. Regardless, Calvin needed to emphasise it once more.

"Maybe you are a spoiled, spiteful child," he continued, referencing what Beto had told him moments ago, his tone hopefully light enough to take away from the sting those words could have had. "Or maybe you are just passionate about what you like, and temperamental when you don't get it." Phrasing it differently put a whole different perspective on that, Calvin thought. "I love your passion, and I'd be lying if I said it isn't a boost to my ego when you get upset about sharing me with others." And considering Calvin was already not generally lacking in self-confidence, that said a lot. "But it shouldn't become an issue between us, meu amorzinho, and you don't ever have to worry about it. I'm yours completely, no ifs or buts about it." As if to punctuate his statement, Calvin leaned in towards his love and locked lips with him for a passionate kiss. If there was still any doubt in his boyfriend's mind that he meant the world to him, Calvin was going to make damn sure to rid him of that.

Once they finally came back up for air again, Calvin flashed his boyfriend a smile. "Now, what was this about cake and presents?" Eyebrows quirking up slightly, Calvin went on to explain himself. "I'm a telepath, bonito. You have no idea what an effort it has been not to pry, but I can't completely ignore what's been on your mind so much." Holding up his hands, Cal quickly set about assuring his love that he had not actually stomped over the joy of surprising him completely."No worries, I don't know what you got me. Yes, I'm curious, but spoiling the moment would just be a dick move."
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Mar 24 2018, 07:38 PM

Shoulders relaxing as Roberto let out a deep sigh of relief at being allowed to drop the subject of why he had reacted so poorly to Calvin’s lunch date with Jean, the Brazilian leaned into the hug that his boyfriend wrapped him up in, pressing his cheek against the much taller man’s chest. He felt kind of ridiculous now like he’d shown himself up or caused a scene to ensure that he was the centre of attention despite the fact that the day really ought to have been about the other man. He really was very sorry for being such a child and at the same incredibly thankful for Cal’s understanding because without there where on earth would he be. Fingers gripping tightly to the other man’s shirt Berto nuzzled in as close as he could get as the reassurance came that Calvin really did love him more than anything. He knew that, he really did but for some reason despite not doubting it for a second there was still this pit inside of his stomach that ached in a way that made him feel sick every time he thought about it. Everyone who loved him had left and it was always his fault. This deep insecurity had followed him throughout his life but he’d always managed to avoid its impact by choosing not to pursue anything permanent.

Complaining with a little groan of discontentment as Cal broke off their embrace, Roberto held his boyfriend’s gaze as he was urged by him to do so. He wanted to argue with him when he said that there was no one better but the larger part of him won out; he knew exactly how Calvin felt, it was reflected in the way that he felt about Cal and whatever nagging, gnawing doubt he had was the result of demons he still carried with him. Ones that he would need to exorcise before they inflicted any real damage. So he smile instead, a small a withering smile that barely touched his eyes. He needed to get out more; over the past two months he had developed a dependence on his boyfriend that perhaps bordered a little on the unhealthy. Sure he had his work and was content to wander to the office for some time alone to do his paperwork. Lord knew he needed that on occasion because trying to get anything done with Calvin doing his best to distract him (and even when he wasn’t actively trying) was obviously not conducive to productivity. But he didn’t socialise with others like he used to. There were no X-Men to bump into in the hall, no powers training to force interaction and what few true friends he had, had were lost to his own stupidity. It was time to start building a new life, as reluctant as he was to do so, before the one that he had with Cal suffered.

Really?” He asked in a small voice as Mimic expressed his desire to spend the rest of his life with him. He had missed when the other man had said it before. The permanence of their relationship was not something that Roberto had really considered before then, it was just a given to him that they would stay as they were. But he hadn’t ever stopped to think about if he saw Calvin in his distant future perhaps because he took it for granted that now that they were in each other’s lives then they always would be. Hearing that this was something that his boyfriend was very sure about made him feel so much better even if it had never really been in doubt. “I know it doesn’t querido, I promise I don’t mean to be so clingy. Lord knows I’ve never been this way with anyone before now.” He’d never loved anyone before either, not like this. He still had his relationship training wheels on and he hoped to God that Calvin could continue to be patient with him. Attempting to grow as a person whilst trying to maintain a connection with someone that you cared so much about what tricky. “I have been trying be better but I’m not sure it’s working.” He added with a sad chuckle because despite what he thought had been a reasonable effort he still seemed to fail at every hurdle.

A quirked eyebrow and a look of indignance followed Calvin’s agreement with him that maybe he was a spoiled child. It didn’t feel particularly good coming from someone else and he made to complain, the words stopping short in his throat as the other man tried a different approach that Roberto like much better. “Okay.” He said sort of weakly as Cal came to the end of his reassurances. “I’m going to call Dr Graham and see if she knows anyone in Rio who I can see long term.” He continued. He had thought that perhaps he had worked out what issues he had following Bobby’s death but as Dr Graham had frequently asserted there was more that could be discussed. But with the couple moving to Rio in just a few days he would need to continue his therapy sessions down there and he didn’t want to do so without a recommendation from the shrink who had been doing such a good job up until then. “I’m sorry to have lumped all of this on you, meu amor and on your birthday too.” He felt terrible about it but thankfully he wasn’t made to linger on that feeling for too long as his love diverted the conversation back to cake and presents. Presents that Roberto had made no prior mention of. Brown eyes narrowed as the Brazilian scrunched his nose at Cal pointing out his telepathy.

I’m going to need to train a little harder at keeping pesky teeps out of my surface thoughts.” He teased. He honestly loved the bond that there was between them whenever Cal was a telepath even if it was one sided but there were obstacles. Like keeping secrets or telling even the most benign of white lies. It was basically impossible. “I should hope you haven’t been snooping. Snoopers don’t get.” Taking Cal’s hand he led him through the apartment and into the smallest room. It was intended to be a third bedroom but had never been used as such and so Roberto had kindly asked the maid to set up extra balloons and streamers in there as a surprise for Calvin. The intention had been for his boyfriend to see them much earlier but the billionaire only gone and spoiled that for them both. Hopefully there was enough buttercream and fondant on the cake he’d had commissioned to protect it from drying out in the few hours that it had been sat out. Pushing the door open with a flourish, Roberto gestured for Cal to go inside. “Okay so I know you didn’t want a fuss but I couldn’t let the day pass without something to signify that it was your birthday.” He said excitedly.

A table was pushed up against the back wall surrounded by blue and silver foil star balloons and a matching banner that read ‘Feliz Aniversário Calvin’ because it just had to be written in Portuguese. A white tablecloth was draped over the wood upon which tiny star shaped confetti was sprinkled. The centrepiece of the modest display was the magnificent galaxy cake that Roberto had ordered in specially from a baker in Manhattan. Consisting of two cylindrical tiers of chocolate and red velvet wrapped in a deep blue fondant, painted with purple and black edible paint and flecked with gold, it really was a work of art. Three rich turquoise macarons stood against the base of each tier and on the top alongside chocolate stars and frozen berries. The crown in such a wonderful display of skill was a warped and distorted swirl of blue, gold and silver tempered chocolate. He really was proud of it, almost as though he had made it himself but mostly because he had made sure that the baker was mutant. He knew how much it would mean to his boyfriend that such a business had been supported in the celebration of his birthday.

A husband and wife team made your cake.” He wasted no time in explaining. “They have a little bakery in Mutant Town. Really nice couple, I’m glad that I found them.” Three candles had been pushed into the top tier. Striding over, Roberto lit them and then directed Cal to blow them out as he began to sing the Happy Birthday song. In the familiar tune he sang in Portuguese: “Parabéns pra você/ Nesta data querida/ Muitas felicidades/ Muitos anos de vida!/ Parabéns pra você/ Nesta data querida/ Muitas felicidades/ Muitos anos de vida!” He couldn’t be described as having a pretty singing voice but Roberto at least did not sing flatly, as he went through lyrics that did not quite track with the tune. “Okay, okay sit. You have gifts to open.” He said, bending to reach under the table for the first of a number of presents that he had purchased for Cal. These were a custom pair of sneakers imported from Italy. They did not belong to a particular brand but had been handmade by a master shoemaker to fit his boyfriend's feet perfectly. Wrapped in beautiful navy and silver quatrefoil printed paper and tied with a gold ribbon the gift already looked stunning before it had even been opened. A small tag read ‘The journey of a thousands miles begins with one step. Happy birthday, all my love Beto.’ “Go on, open it.” Sunspot urged as he handed the gift over.
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 05:15 PM

"No snooping, I swear," Calvin promised his boyfriend as he was taken by the hand and led out of his art room towards the smallest of the apartment's rooms, one that the two hadn't yet found a use for during the time they'd been living there. Tempting as it sometimes was, Calvin did respect Beto's right to his own private thoughts, and the longer he was in possession of telepathy the easier it became to let him have his privacy. On top of that, being privy to his every thought wasn't fun either. It would just take away from the excitement of being in a relationship with someone as spontaneous and passionate as Roberto. So, aside from what he picked up through their bond because it was so clearly in the forefront of Beto's mind, Calvin was adamant to let his boyfriend's thoughts be his own.

When Beto told him that he couldn't just let his birthday pass by without at least a little bit of fuss, Cal offered him a reassuring smile. "I'm good with something," he told him, giving his boyfriend's hand a light squeeze before letting go and stepping ahead of him into the room. He came to an almost immediate halt just inside as he saw what Beto had arranged for him, hazel eyes slightly wide as he took everything in. The decorations were beautifully done, with the custom banner especially making an impression on the birthday boy, who all of a sudden came to realise how much this did actually mean to him. He hadn't had a birthday in years, and seeing the effort Beto had made hit a soft spot he hadn't known was there. It was a good thing that Beto wasn't the telepath out of the two of them, because he might have smacked his boyfriend upside the head if he knew that suddenly Cal did want a fuss to be made over his birthday.

Cal swallowed back the lump in his throat and stepped forward to take a better look at the most impressive part of the birthday setup; the amazing galaxy-themed cake standing in the middle of the table. It was absolutely beautiful, and instantly made Calvin apprehensive at the idea of cutting into such a fine work of art, even though he knew it was perishable and he couldn't just keep it. Looking back at his boyfriend when he explained that it had been made by a husband and wife team from Mutant Town. That earned Beto a wide smile from Calvin, who greatly appreciated that his boyfriend had gone out of his way to make sure he brought his business to the mutant community. He would make sure to ask Beto for the address later, so he could order a cake from them for his boyfriend's birthday in two months. Even if they were still in Rio then, which Calvin wasn't ruling out, he'd just beg Reece to come pick him up so he could get one from there.

The smile on Cal's face grew even wider after Beto had lit the candles atop the cake, gestured for him to go blow them up, then started singing Happy Birthday in Portuguese. For a couple of seconds Calvin just stood there, grinning at his boyfriend like an idiot, when a shift of Beto's eyes towards the cake paired with a light nod snapped him out of it. "Oh, right. Yes. I just got caught up in--" Cal gestured towards Roberto. He couldn't even properly put to words how adorable he found his boyfriend singing for him, it was probably best he left it at the gesture instead of attempting to stumble his way through words. Turning towards the cake, Cal blew out the candles in one go - not that hard, there were only three instead of having an added twenty - and looked back towards his boyfriend proudly, as if he'd actually just accomplished something.

Clearly keen on getting to the part where Cal unwrapped the gifts he'd gotten for him - even without being told or using his telepathy, Cal would have known his boyfriend wasn't going to stick to just one present - Beto instructed him to sit, so he did. "Oh wow," Cal let out when the first gift was handed to him, the way it was wrapped already making the present a hit with him before he'd even opened it. He took a moment to appreciate it and read the card attached to it, before carefully undoing the ribbon and then starting with the small pieces of tape holding the paper in place. It was silly, but part of Cal just struggled with just ripping apart something wrapped with such care. Catching the impatient look that his careful approach earned him from his boyfriend, Calvin couldn't help but chuckle. "Sorry," he said, before grabbing onto the paper with less delicate fingers and ripping it away from the box. Inside of it were a pair of oxblood coloured sneakers with white laces and soles, sneakers that Calvin could immediately tell had been custom made to fit his larger than usual feet.

"Thank you, they look great," Calvin smiled up at his boyfriend. He considered trying them on immediately, but somehow Roberto was already holding another present. Cal's eyes briefly shifted towards the table, then back up at Beto and narrowed slightly, the Mimic wondering when he'd actually had the time to grab another one. Possibly when Cal had taken three years to unwrap a damn present, failing to notice what exactly Beto had been doing because he was mesmerised by pretty wrapping paper.. "Okay, hold up," he chuckled, rising up from his chair. He took hold of the gift in his boyfriend's hands with one hand, while the other slid around the back of Beto's head to pull him in for a kiss. To Calvin, it wouldn't count as a proper "Thank you" unless a kiss was involved, so depending on how many presents Beto had bought for him they were probably going to be there for a while.

Sitting back down with his second gift in his hands, Cal nodded for his boyfriend to sit himself down on the other chair. Having him stand there while Calvin opened his presents just made him feel like they were in a rush, when Cal wanted to take his time to open and appreciate what Sunspot had gotten him. He wasn't going to take too long with the wrapping paper though, since he recognised that Beto didn't quite have the patience for that. "I think..." Calvin started quietly as he worked on unwrapping his second gift, "...that maybe I do want a bit of a fuss to be made about my birthday." Pausing halfway through removing the paper from the second present, he levelled his eyes with Beto's and offered him a half-smile. "I just want you to know that I really appreciate all this, and I was thinking maybe once we've settled in Rio we can have a proper celebration?" Cal had no idea what Beto had been planning for his birthday, but he was sure that it wasn't so closely tied to them being in New York that it couldn't be done in some fashion down in Rio de Janeiro. "Just... whatever you want to do. Free reign in planning, no objections from me." The small smile on Cal's face turned mischievous then as he added, "I'll even wear a tie."
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 07:16 AM

As Mimic took his gift, marvelling at the beauty of the wrapping, a broad smile came over Roberto’s expression. He was as pleased about his boyfriend’s reaction as if he’d wrapped the present himself, which of course he had not, instead employing the creative mind of one Norah Kelsey, Wrapping Specialist, to wow his love. Reaching under the table, he quickly took another beautifully wrapped box in hand and returned to waiting for Calvin to open his first gift. What he had not intended in spending a fortune on expert assistance was for Cal to then take his sweet time about opening the damn thing. So as his wonderful, beautiful but right in that moment oh so frustrating boyfriend began to peel back the tape as delicately as he could manage, Beto’s eye twitched with the effort of keeping in his excited exasperation, and his fingers drummed impatiently against the side of his leg. He smiled again as Calvin apologised, letting go of a deep breath as he finally tore into the paper as he ought to have done in the first place. Bouncing on his heels, eager for a response to his carefully selected gift, the slightly more conservative response that the oxblood sneakers received compared to the clearly impressed reaction to Norah’s choice of wrapping earned Calvin a quirk of an immaculate eyebrow.

This next one’s just an empty box.” He joked, holding out a second, much larger package that had been wrapped in sky blue paper dotted with silver stars and topped with a matching ribbon rosette inlaid with real pearls in the centre. Except before they could complete the exchange, Calvin was standing up, an arm sliding around the back of Roberto’s head for a kiss. Okay, that was more like it, greater appreciation for Norah Kelsey instantly forgiven. Though what it did do was flicker a pang of guilt in the Brazilian’s stomach as the two men stood close. They could have enjoyed this moment much earlier on if he hadn’t fallen victim to his own jealous insecurities. He was still less than impressed that Jean had stolen his opportunity to take Calvin out for something to eat, regardless of whether his boyfriend’s metabolism meant he would happily tackle a second meal, it just wouldn’t be the same for Roberto knowing that he’d been wined and dined by someone else already that day. “I know shoes are the not the most exciting or personal of gifts but,” He began, “I know it can’t be easy for you to find ones that fit. And these are unique, there’s no other pair in the world like them.” Just very similar ones probably, who knew?

Taking a seat as requested, Roberto balanced his right heel on the opposite knee and crossed his arms over his chest. Leaning back ever so slightly he made an exaggerated gesture of settling in for the night to wait for Calvin to finish painstakingly unwrapping his second gift. It was a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and four additional lenses. Cal had not, to his knowledge, ever expressed an interest in photography but they were moving home to Brazil in three days and Beto planned on showing him around every area of outstanding beauty, every tourist attraction and any place that held any kind of special meaning to him. So they actually had a particular need for a camera and the billionaire was never one for buying the basics, such as a simple point and shoot, when there were infinitely better options available. That he had purchased extra lenses was just a testament to Roberto’s preference for excess and besides, he figured that if his boyfriend really took to photography as a new medium for his art then at least he would be prepared.“Nossa Senhora, Calvin! Make up your mind, meu amor.” Roberto said playfully and with a chuckle, as the other man confessed that maybe he did want a bit of a fuss made about his birthday.

A bit of a fuss had been what he had planned and then cancelled in response to Cal’s request for a day at home. It didn’t matter anymore though, they had gotten past that and he wasn’t about to bring it up again. “You want a fuss made today? Or I should just wait until we get to Rio? Because if a bit of a fuss is what you want on your birthday then I’m sure I can whip something up.” He said with a smile, “Dinner at Black Tap, or we could order it in? Or somewhere fancier?” He wondered if Core would have a problem with him ringing up to uncancel the private dining reservations that he had made. “A repeat performance of this morning’s wakeup call?” there was a cheeky glint in Roberto’s eye as he made his final suggestion. “If it’s a celebration in Rio that you want, querido, then something can most definitely be arranged.” He added with glee, party planning was an activity that he derived particular pleasure from, the more ridiculously over the top the better. “You could invite Jean, Reece and Charlie too if you’d like.” Never mind the fact that two thirds of that group made him nervous, they were the people that Calvin loved the most.

And since you suggested wearing a tie-” something Roberto would have insisted on anyway but that could potentially get in the way of them attending the party at all. “I’ll just have to make it a cocktail party.” Oh this could be all kinds of fun, he was already stupidly excited. Parties were where Roberto excelled and if it meant having the opportunity to impress his love and show him off to the Rio elite then Beto wasn’t going to say no or hold back.
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 09:09 AM

Despite being made aware that he had taken too long to unwrap his first gift, Calvin seemed to have forgotten that already by the time he was handed his second gift, again taking his time to appreciate the wonderful job Roberto had paid someone to do for him when it came to wrapping it. He couldn't help it, appreciating the work that anyone put into anything remotely creative was just in the man's nature. Calvin liked to look at beautiful things, the main proof of which was sat across from him adorably playing at being impatient, and whoever had wrapped these gifts had taken it to the next level. He couldn't be entirely sure, but Calvin was fairly certain that this gift's wrappings included actual pearls. How could he not take the proper time to properly appreciate such craftsmanship and quality?

Calvin did not linger for too long though, heaving a soft sigh before removing the wrapping paper with enough speed and determination that he was sure would leave Beto without reasons to voice any complaints. He did make sure to leave the paper mostly intact, dexterous fingers nimbly undoing the tape holding the paper together and carefully folding it up before placing it on the nearby table. Yes, Calvin was planning on keeping the wrapping paper, an intent that was more than clear from the brief look he flashed Sunspot as he put the paper aside. His hazel eyes only lingered on his boyfriend for a second though, before they shifted towards the camera he had just unwrapped to properly appreciate the gift.

"This looks amazing," he said quietly as he turned the box around in his hands several times to look at it from all sides. Photography had never been a passion of his, with Calvin preferring to put pencil, brush or whatever medium caught his fancy at the time to create his art, but the camera was a very welcome gift nonetheless. It had only been a few days ago, when the two of them had explored the Savage Land together, that Calvin had pointed out to his boyfriend that he would need a camera to actually take quality pictures of everything there was to see in Rio, especially to use as reference material for his own artwork. Of course his bonito had remembered, and managed to acquire one on such short notice. Or perhaps he was even more thoughtful than that, and had foreseen the need for a camera before Calvin had even mentioned it. Either way, Cal was very grateful for the gift.

"Thank you," Calvin said as he put the camera aside and rose from his seat. Leaning in towards his boyfriend, Cal supported himself by placing one hand on the back of the chair Beto was in and tilted his head enough to kiss his love without a conflict of noses. It would be like this after every gift, of course, Cal wanting to make sure his boyfriend knew just how appreciative he was of the gifts, and finding words to be lacking compared to actually showing his affection.

A chuckle escaped from Cal's lips as he sat back down again and his boyfriend expressed his frustration at Calvin's inability to make up his mind when it came to the level of fuss he wanted for his birthday. "I am making up my mind," he argued lightly, flashing his boyfriend a smile. "It's just... a work in progress." He would also argue that "a bit of fuss" was likely nowhere near all that he imagined a Berto without any restrictions placed on him would get up to, but that didn't seem necessary. As easy as it was for his boyfriend to get carried away with things like this, and as much as "over the top" seemed to be the man's default setting, he was actually being very considerate in asking Cal just what he wanted.

Opening his mouth to agree to the dinner plans Roberto suggested, even considering something fancy, Calvin closed it again without saying anything when his boyfriend cheekily suggested they could go for a repeat performance of that morning's wakeup call. "Well now I want that," Calvin piped up with a soft laugh. There would likely never be a time when Calvin wouldn't prioritise sexy fun times with his beautiful boyfriend over anything else. That hardly counted as making a fuss, though, and really wasn't something Cal would specifically consider something they could do for his birthday. If they aged a year every time they made love, they'd both be six feet under by now. He frowned lightly as he gave his boyfriend's various suggestions some thought, before coming to the obvious conclusion. "All of that," he decided, gesturing towards Roberto. "We can finish unwrapping these gifts--" Because of course there were more, two gifts did not sound like Roberto at all. "--then have some cake." It would pain Calvin to cut up such a work of art, but he couldn't just let it waste away because he thought it was too pretty to eat. "After that, I will be needing a repeat performance of this morning." Cal's dark eyebrows quirked up slightly as he regarded his boyfriend with a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "Then we can go for dinner. You know I'm always up for eating at Black Tap, but if you can arrange for something fancier then I'm game for that as well." Going for dinner with his boyfriend didn't count as all that much of a fuss anyway; when Calvin had mentioned that he didn't want to make a fuss over it he had meant the sort of over the top kind of parties he knew his boyfriend loved to throw.

Speaking of which...

"And like I said, I would love a party once we've settled in Rio. A cocktail party sounds like an excellent idea." No doubt Roberto knew how to throw a perfect party, and that he was happy to have Reece, Charlie and Jean there despite his relationship with two of them being awkward at best would just make the party even better. That his boyfriend would so readily set aside his own feelings for Calvin's sake just filled him with the warm fuzzies. "Tonight will be about you and me though," Calvin emphasised as he rose from his seat again, leaning down to kiss his boyfriend just like he had only a few minutes ago. "Because no matter how many presents you get me, no matter how much money you spend on them or fancy parties," he managed to get out in between kisses, "you'll always be the most precious thing in the world to me."
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 06:47 AM

There were plenty more gifts to follow the two that had begun the birthday exchange; Roberto was a man of excess, he rarely knew when it was appropriate to just stop, and in the case of the man that he loved had not felt inclined to. He had always been generous with his money where friends would allow it but with Calvin things were a little different. The overindulgence that was typical of the Brazilian was, towards his boyfriend, less about pleasing or being charitable and more an inability to reign in his feelings. He had found over the passing weeks that how he felt for Cal was so overwhelming that telling him what felt like a thousand times a day that he loved him wasn’t enough. Nothing he did or said seemed to be able to fully communicate how much he loved that man and so spoiling him rotten, with his birthday as the perfect excuse, was just another attempt to show it.

Smiling as Calvin rose from his chair again and leaned in for a kiss, Roberto clutched a handful of the other man’s shirt between his fingers as they pulled apart. It was a quiet protest at Mimic inevitably having to sit back down; after their little row earlier he was feeling particularly needy. There was also something that he wanted to give him, another gift but not the same as all of the rest; the shoes and the camera that Cal had already received were nice enough but, to Roberto’s mind, lacked any real thought. The monogrammed art supplies, the beautifully tailored suit, the watch, custom Berluti shoes and trip to Paris for the creation of a unique signature fragrance were all things rich people bought for one another but there was nothing particularly personal about them. Those were still waiting under the table for their turned to be unwrapped, each one as beautifully adorned in printed paper and ribbons as the last.

The little box that he had in his pocket was less flamboyant, what was held inside wasn’t as expensive as the suit or as beautiful as the watch but it was far more special, to Roberto at least, than all of them put together. “And you to me, querido.”” He said softly; Cal really was everything to him just as he was to Cal. “I know that this hasn’t been a thing for too long.” Less than two months if anyone wanted to be picky. “And that we promised each other we wouldn’t overthink things.” There had been the implication in that conversation that they would take it slow but the exact opposite had happened in the weeks following. Circumstances coupled with their passionate personalities had put paid to that plan and in three days time Calvin would be moving to Berto’s hometown of Rio de Janeiro to live with him on the Costa Estate.

Or maybe they had stayed completely true to their promise and everything that had followed was the consequence of not questioning whether they were rushing into things. Whatever it was it felt right. “But you have very quickly become my whole world. I couldn’t imagine my life without you in it.” He let Calvin stand up straight, it couldn’t have been comfortable leaning over like that. Standing up along with him, Roberto reached his hand into his pocket, curling tanned fingers around the little box. “I was a mess when you went missing.” He confessed, “I couldn’t help thinking the worst. And then when I learned what had happened I was so angry.” How it had taken the X-Men days from Merry, Trevor and Slate’s departure to launch a rescue was a mystery to him, particularly considering one of their own had a pretty good idea of where they had been headed.

I don’t know what I would have done if--” He stopped for a second, choked up before clearing his throat and changing tack. “-- I have something that I want to give you.” Gesturing for Cal to hold out his hand with the palm flat, Roberto pulled the slim jewellery box from his pocket and placed it in his boyfriend’s hand. “It probably won't mean all that much to you.” He began before Mimic had even opened the box, “But it’s really important to me. More so that you have it now, after everything that happened to you in that place.” As Calvin opened the box to reveal the platinum Saint Christopher that rested on the velvet lining, Roberto continued his explanation. “Saint Christopher is the patron saint of travellers.” It had been his father’s, Emmanuel had passed it onto his son when he had left for the US and now Roberto was giving it to Cal. The small pendant had once been threaded onto the same chain that held his crucifix, he was never without it.

It’s for protection.” It was no bigger than a dime in size, freshly polished so that it gleamed, and was inscribed on the back with a short prayer in Portuguese. On the front was the image of the Saint carrying the young Christ upon his back along with the Costa name. Roberto was under no illusion that Calvin was a religious man, they had discussed how he did not share in the Brazilian’s faith. None of that mattered to him though; Roberto’s dedication to his faith, however uniquely he approached that, was personal to him. But he believed with his whole heart in the power of the saints, people who performed miracles through their devotion to God and he wanted, no he needed Cal to wear the St Christopher, even if he couldn’t bring himself to believe like his love did. “If something happens to you again…” He didn’t know how to put what he believed into words so he let his sentence trail off.
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Apr 14 2018, 01:51 PM

Roberto bringing up how they had only known each other for a short time, and how they had once promised each other not to overthink things drew a light chuckle from Calvin. When he did stop to consider how things had developed between the two of them, which he'd had a lot of time for while trapped in the Savage Land, he couldn't help but be amused by it. He had been the one who had initially expressed confusion about the two of them and supposed that maybe they needed to slow down, but when Beto had suggested they try not to overthink things he had agreed and now here they were. Without thinking about things too much, Calvin had simply let the feelings Roberto had sparked in him take over and he had given himself to his love wholly. It just felt right to him, being with his boyfriend brought him to a happy place where everything in the world that wasn't so great felt distant. He could think about the two of them rationally, and when he did it occurred to Calvin that they had been together for only two months, had a very rocky first two weeks to say the least, had been separated for three years from his perspective, had decided to live together far more quickly than most people did, and were about to make a huge move by moving to another country in just a few days. He realised that their whole relationship was unconventional, that it had been a rollercoaster ride from the start, he just didn't care. He loved his boyfriend, cared about the man's happiness as much as he cared about his own, and nothing beyond that mattered to him.

"You won't have to," Calvin assured Sunspot as he stood up straight. It didn't feel necessary for him to set his boyfriend's mind at ease about not having to spend his life without Cal in it, but he did so anyway. It never felt like a bad time to remind Berto that he was in this for the long run, even if agreeing to move five thousand miles to the man's native Brazil made that abundantly clear already. His expression did falter a little when his boyfriend told him how he felt when Cal went missing, knowing full well how terrible a feeling that was. After three years of being left to wonder if his love had moved on without him, Calvin had learned that Roberto was in the Savage Land as well, and had been overcome with the same concerns Roberto was telling him about. For five long days, he had worried that something terrible had happened to his love after arriving in the Savage Land. Anger had been a part of it for him too, directed mostly at the X-Men for bringing Roberto there to begin with, even if they hadn't known how terrible a place it was and Beto having been the one to insist he come with them.

Holding his hand out in front of him then, as his boyfriend had basically instructed him to, Calvin quirked his brow lightly at the slim jewellery box that was placed in it. Unlike the previous gifts, it did not come with any fancy wrapping wrapping paper, but from the way Beto spoke of it, it sounded like the most significant of the gifts he would be receiving that day. "If it's important to you, it's important to me," he said before he brought his other hand up to lift the lid from the box. His hazel eyes went wide as he saw what was inside of it, recognising the platinum pendant and the Saint depicted on it before Beto explained who it was.

He had seen this pendant many times before, hanging off the same chain around his love's neck that his crucefix was on. Calvin briefly considered the possibility that Beto had simply gotten him a copy of the same pendant he had, but seeing the Costa name on it made him realise that this was in fact Beto's very own pendant, the one he had received from his father when he left for Xavier's the first time all those years ago. Not only did Calvin know the name of the Saint, he knew what he represented, and how important the pendant was to his love. Cal had asked him about it at some point when the two had been in bed together, unsure as he had been about its meaning in contrast to the far more obvious crucefix that accompanied it, and the story behind it had stuck with Calvin ever since. It was because of this story and the deep emotional value he imagined the pendant had for his love that his initial response to his boyfriend wanting to pass it onto him was reluctance.

"This is yours. I can't..." he started, though his words failed to go anywhere. He furrowed his brow, the words that Beto had said to him a moment ago echoing through his mind, helping Calvin to see what the intention behind passing this onto him was, and how important it was to his boyfriend. He fell quiet for a moment as he stared down at the pendant resting on the velvet lining, the words to explain how this was making him feel escaping him completely. Calvin was not a religious man, the only thing that he still carried with him from his Catholic upbringing being the wonderfully excessive Catholic guilt that came over him at times, but he didn't need to be religious to appreciate what an amazing gesture this was.

Without saying a word, Calvin lifted the pendant up from the box by the chain it was attached to and handed the box itself back to his lover so he had both his hands available. Undoing the chain's clasp, he reached both ends around his neck and fastened it again. Running the fingers of his right hand along the chain until they reached the Saint Christopher's, holding it up far enough away from his chest that he could take another look at it briefly before shifting his gaze to meet his love's eyes. "If something happens to me again," he finally spoke again, "I'll have the comfort of carrying a part of you with me." It did not occur to him until now that, stuck in the Savage Land, he had no memento of Roberto beyond his own memories, which only added to the importance of being given something that was so personal to his love.

Letting the pendant fall back against his chest, Calvin brought his hand up towards Roberto's face to gently caress his cheek, fingers running down towards his chin to tilt it up slightly before he leaned in and pressed another kiss against his boyfriend's lips. Calvin's mouth lingered against Roberto's as the way he kissed him grew in intensity, the hand that had been touching the man's face slipping around the back of his head to tangle in the mess of dark curls, his other hand coming up to rest on his love's shoulder. A simple "Thank you" just wouldn't have been enough for Calvin to express what the gift meant to him, just like words never quite seemed to measure up when it came to letting Berto know how much he loved him. The way he kissed him then, the combination of passion and affection that still managed to have a sense of tenderness to it despite Calvin giving himself to it so completely, left no room for doubt about just how much he appreciated not just the Saint Christopher's pendant, but the man who had given it to him as well.

Finally pulling away from the kiss, and putting just enough distance between himself and his love that he could place his hand over his chest where the pendant was, Calvin dropped his gaze briefly and smiled. "Thank you," he said then, finally uttering those two simple words. "But you know the other gifts are just going to pale in comparison now, right?" Letting out a soft chuckle, Calvin levelled his eyes with Roberto's again and leaned back in to peck him on the lips again. "Not that I don't appreciate the thought I'm sure you put into every single one of them." He'd only opened two of them so far, Saint Christopher's aside, but both were more than Beto just having thrown money at something. Even though they had only really known each other for two years, it felt to Calvin like Beto just got him in a way he wasn't sure even Reece did, and that just filled his heart with the warm fuzzies. That they had a fight less than an hour ago already felt like it was in the distant past, forgiven and forgotten, and all that mattered to Cal in the here and now was how much he loved Roberto, and how much the man made him feel loved in return.
PM
^
Sunspot
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 03:46 PM

Roberto smiled as Calvin barely hesitated in fastening the chain around his neck. Jewellery wasn’t to every man’s taste, he knew that, so he would not have been offended if his boyfriend had preferred to keep it on his person in some other fashion. But it warmed his heart that despite an initial polite protestation, Cal seemed happy to wear the St Christopher medallion. An instant sense of relief overcame him at knowing that Mimic now had the token in his possession. It was silly, he knew, for him to put so much faith in a necklace but he couldn’t help it; he’d been raised to believe in the power of the saints and he believed deep down in his soul that carrying the pendant with him would afford Calvin some protection. But just as his boyfriend had said, should they find themselves parted again in the future it would at least bring Berto some comfort to know that his love had something of his to remember him by, so that in a manner of speaking he was there with him.

A soft sigh left him as a gentle hand touched against his cheek and as Calvin traced light fingers along his jaw to tip his chin, brown eyes fluttered shut in anticipation of the kiss that touched his lips. Leaning forward and up on his toes, Roberto steadied himself with a palm pressed to the other man’s chest. Calvin’s hands in his hair, tangled passionately in the dark curls, he lost himself almost instantly in that moment. The jewellery box dropped to the floor as, forgetting he had hold of it at all, he brought that hand up to slide around Cal’s waist. There was something in the way that Calvin kissed him that made Roberto feel safer than he had ever felt with anyone else, and as he pulled himself closer into the tender passion of their embrace, a quiet, quivering sound whispered from his lips. He could have stayed there, the cake and presents forgotten, given over completely to the love that was clear between them but for his boyfriend finally pulling away.

He frowned at first, groaning in disapproval at having their kiss broken off without his consent and for a second refused to open his eyes as if that would encourage Calvin to return. “No, thank you.” He said quietly, giving the St Christopher over to the other man was less for Cal and more for Roberto’s own piece of mind. “And it’s okay.” He followed, “The rest of what I got you could hardly be considered thoughtful. I just wanted to spoil meu amor on your birthday.” The second kiss, a quick peck on the lips elicited a playful sound of annoyance. “I know Pai would have wanted you to have it.” he said, reaching up to trace his thumb over the engraving on the medallion. The light in his eyes dimmed a little then as he remembered his father lost too soon. Whilst his dad had been a stern, often distant man, he and his Beto had been close. After his son’s manifestation as a teen, Emmanuel had not flinched and had never faltered in his support; he had sent the young Roberto off to Xavier’s so that he could get the help he needed, unlike many of the students there, it had not been a means to get rid of him. The St Christopher had been a way of keeping his family close when they were so far apart.

Twelve years, that’s hung around my neck. I’ve never taken it off.” He was smiling, “Now it’s yours.” Not wearing it was going to take some getting used to but it would be worth it to see it on Cal. “It was one of the first things that Pai bought for himself after making his first million. He always said that it was for passing on, that I would know when it was time for someone else to use its protection. So you should wear it until you feel ready to give it over to a loved one who needs guidance.” Except he knew his boyfriend didn’t believe like he did, so maybe it would remain with him for the foreseeable. That was okay though, it was only really important to Roberto that it now belonged to Calvin. “I mean, if you want. Stepping in closer, he pressed a lingering kiss on his love’s jawline before looking up at him through long lashes with a drunk expression on his face. “Let’s forget about those gifts for now. The cake.” He whispered, kissing him him again. “I love you, querido.” Taking hold of Cal’s hand he made his way to the doorway leading out of the bedroom, loosening the tie that was around his neck as he went.
PMEmail
^
Mimic
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 07:06 AM

"You were amazing. You are amazing." Lying on his side, Calvin regarded his love with a bright smile, his hand reaching across Roberto's bare torso to entangle his fingers with the hand that lay on the mattress beside him. It went without saying, of course, but Cal liked to remind his love how highly he thought of him regardless, especially after a performance like that. With his enhanced physiology, stamina and recuperative abilities Cal was not easy to keep up with, but what Roberto comparatively lacked in physical prowess he more than made up for with passion, determination and ability. It seemed like every time they made love, the Brazilian discovered something new about Calvin that the man wholly enjoyed, and never ceased to put that knowledge to good use. "On a scale of one to ten, I would rate that..." Calvin paused briefly, his brow furrowing. "It's not even on the scale," he decided quickly. There were some things that you couldn't just rate with an arbitrary grade. "Once you've recovered..." Cal's voice trailed off, leaving most of his suggestion go unspoken, but the message was clear regardless. Calvin's insatiable appetite was not limited to food alone and, Roberto willing, he would indulge as much as possible.

Letting go of Roberto's hand again, Calvin brought it up to his face as he inched ever so slightly closer to him. Leaning in to place a kiss on his boyfriend's cheek, Cal then adjusted his position until he could rest his head against the man's chest with his hand right next to it. "I was right, you know," he declared quietly. "When I've got you, I don't need anything else. No fuss necessary." As he spoke, Calvin's index finger played idly with the platinum crucifix resting near his face, drawing along its shape as he was wont to when the two of them were in bed together like this. "Still appreciate it though," he clarified, not wanting his boyfriend to think he had once again changed his mind about the amount of effort he would like Berto to make for him. "I like being spoiled. But when we're together like this, when I'm with you at all, it feels like the rest of the world just doesn't matter anymore." It wasn't the first time Calvin had expressed that very same sentiment, but he felt it bore repeating, just like the next three words that came from him. "I love you."

Calvin fell silent then, content as he was just laying there with his love, feeling the warmth of his skin against his fingertips and hearing the quiet beating of his heart. He knew that they would have to get up eventually, probably to get something to eat, but Cal wasn't inclined to move at all. This was everything he wanted, exactly where he felt he needed to be, and he would linger in the feeling of bliss that being with his love brought as much as possible. Given their plans for the very near future, facilitating exactly that wouldn't be a problem at all.

"Have you wrapped your head around it yet?" Calvin finally spoke up again as their upcoming move to Rio came to mind. "Just three days from now we'll be in Brazil, in your home." Pausing briefly, Calvin quickly corrected himself. "Our home." It was the Costa Estate, yes, but Cal was not expecting to feel like he was just a guest there. He knew Beto would give it his best effort to ensure that he would feel at home there, and couldn't think of anything he could ask of his boyfriend to help that along that the man wouldn't immediately agree to. One of the guest rooms had already been designated as Calvin's to change into a place to work on his art, even with the plans to buy him an art studio in downtown Rio. Not that Cal needed it to feel at home - to him, home was wherever Roberto was - but it certainly wouldn't hurt. The warmth and acceptance he was sure the staff would meet him with would only make it easier for him to acclimatise.

"I'm looking forward to it," Calvin told Sunspot then, once more shifting his position on the bed until he was on his side again. As comfortable as he had felt resting his head against his boyfriend's chest, it did make it impossible for him to see that beautiful face he appreciated so much, and to show his appreciation by kissing his perfect lips. Doing exactly that, Calvin brought his hand up again so he could tangle his fingers in his boyfriend's thick, curly hair. "It feels like a fresh start," he said once he'd pulled away from the kiss again, offering his boyfriend a loving smile. "Just a chance for us to finally close the book on everything bad that we've been through over the past few months, only taking the good memories with us and starting anew. I know we've been together for some time now, but to me this feels like it will be the actual start of our life together." And nothing could possibly make Calvin happier than the thought of that.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.