Thread of the Month

Plot of the Month:
The Savage Land

Add Reply
New Poll

Kitchen Nightmares, March 22nd | 6 PM | Open
Chrome
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 12:00 PM

Although he had enjoyed more preferential treatment from the Genoshan Magistrates than most mutants, freedom was not something that Chrome was familiar with. His had been a gilded cage, but a cage nonetheless, and while the labour he had been forced to perform was not as physically demanding as what many others were relegated to, it was slave labour nonetheless. That was the only life that Chrome had known since he was fourteen years, and it had come with certain... limitations. Chrome was not stupid, despite the lack of higher education, and when he stuck to colouring within the lines of being a mutant activist he did rather well for himself, but any time he moved outside of those lines was an adventure.

Today's adventure was cooking. Chrome had absolutely no idea how to do all but the most basic of things when it came to cooking. Boiling water? Yes. Anything that required something to be put in that boiling water for whatever amount of time was mentioned on the packaging? Sure. Everything beyond that? Eh... probably something that was going to take some trial and error. It would have worked out fine for Chrome had he just accepted that he would forever be limited to eating plain pasta or potatoes, or just eat nothing but boiled eggs forever. But Chrome wasn't content with that, instead he wanted to learn and be better, the idea that he'd been left as some kind of unknowing idiot incapable of taking care of himself because of the Magistrates not sitting well with him at all.

Perhaps he could have asked someone for help. One of his fellow Brotherhood members was bound to know how to cook and willing to pass on some knowledge, but Chrome had stubbornly decided that he would figure it out himself. Cooking came with instructions, Chrome knew how to read, he figured that this couldn't be all that difficult to figure out. How exact a process could cooking be, anyway? It didn't strike him like some kind of exact science where the smallest of mistakes could lead to disaster. Of course when you approached it that way, and repeatedly neglected to pay close attention to details, the smallest of mistakes could add up quickly.

That was how Chrome had ended up where he was now, leaning over the kitchen sink to rinse out his mouth with water. His attempt at a sweet and sour sauce to go with the chicken, vegetables and rice that he had been preparing had turned into... something else entirely. Chrome would hesitate to choose any combination of adjectives to describe what it had turned out to be, he only knew that they'd be negative. Whatever he'd concocted tasted so vile that his first impulse was to just transmute it from sauce to water, but that wouldn't have gotten rid of the taste. Chrome wasn't sure if anything would ever get rid of the taste. He was actually considering eating a bar of soap.

"Jesus, what did I even--" Chrome started as he straightened himself, resting his hands on the countertop, cutting himself off when he realised that yet another thing had gone wrong. Unless he was somehow mistaken, and had missed that particular detail when going through the instructions - it was likely he had missed at least a few and played it loose with several others - he was sure that the frying pan he'd been preparing the chicken in was not supposed to be on fire. Maybe the oil had been old, maybe he'd just used way too much oil, or maybe he'd set the stove too high and forgot to turn it down again, Chrome didn't know how to cook well enough to even really consider any of those options. All he knew was that there was currently an oil fire happening.

"Oh, come on," he grunted in frustration as he hurried back towards the stove, carefully bringing his hands closer towards the fire to try and turn the oxygen into... something else, to remove one of the key elements that the fire needed to persist. Easier said than done, of course, what with the risk of burning himself. God, it was almost like the universe was trying to tell him something here, like how he should never cook again, and definitely shouldn't try and make his own cake for his upcoming birthday, lest he want to risk either poisoning all of his fellow Brotherhood members or just straight up burn their base down.
PMEmail
^
Nightmare
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 01:22 PM

The kitchen was her realm, in a sense. It was what she did when she was bored, it was what she did to help herself calm down, essentially if she didn't have anything else pressing to attend to, she normally found herself pulled into the kitchen to try out a new recipe or make something small just to keep her hands busy. She'd strolled toward the kitchen with the intent to whip up some kind of dinner for herself, she was thinking maybe some kind of ribs would be good. It was the more the kind of food Ash would have made but since he was sadly no longer with them, she was out one seriously amazing kitchen buddy so she would have no choice but to pick up the slack his absence caused. She'd probably have to make a grocery run to pick up the necessary ingredients but that was alright, maybe someone would want to go with her. Shopping trips were always more fun when you had someone to come with you and keep you company.

She didn't expect to be hit with the smell of something rather off as she made her way to the kitchens though, and she certainly didn't expect to stumble upon the scene of Chrome battling a fire on the stove top. Well, this certainly was an exciting turn of events, boy that fire looked big...

“Oh dear.”

Her voice didn't hold any kind of urgency, but the way she bolted over to the fridge spoke to how serious she knew the situation was. She began to rummage about for that box of baking soda that she kept in there to help absorb leftover odors. Sometimes the takeout that people brought home just had a vile smell, she thought she deserved a pat on the back for helping keep that to a minimum.

“Turn that burner off for me.” She called out over her shoulder as she grabbed the box and ripped the top off completely to have an easier time dumping the contents over the fire.

Really, what the hell had he been doing to cause something like this? She supposed it had all started innocently enough, everyone had their kitchen mishaps right? She herself had set a thing or two on fire, so she couldn't be terribly upset. Maybe he'd turned his back at the wrong moment, maybe he'd had the heat too high? She'd ask him what the hell happened once the fire itself was out and she was making him help clean up the mess.

“Here, dump this on it.” Hopefully the box of baking soda would be enough, but she whirled around to the cupboard and grabbed a large container of salt, just in case the soda wasn't enough. She didn't want this to end up taking out half the kitchen, she could only imagine how upset some of the others would get if they suddenly had to remodel and rebuild one of the most important rooms of the base.
PM
^
Chrome
 Posted: Apr 13 2018, 06:37 AM

At the sound of Nightmare's voice, Chrome turned his head in her direction. "Please help" was clearly communicated in the look he gave her, and the woman wasted no time to do just that. Chrome turned his attention back towards the fire he had created then, attempting to use his mutant ability to contain it as well as he could, only looking back towards Nightmare briefly when she told him to turn off the burner. "I--Yes, of course." It really should have occurred to him without Nightmare needing to point it out. It wouldn't stop the fire, but at least it would keep it from getting worse.

Hopefully.

The box of baking soda was handed to him next, the purpose of which was lost on Chrome - he barely knew how to cook, let alone how to douse a kitchen fire - but Nightmare seemed confident enough that it would work, so he saw no reason not to do as told. Well, almost. Instead of dumping the contents of the box onto the fire, Chrome first deposited a small amount of baking soda into his hand. He was unfamiliar with the substance, but his mutation didn't just allow him to simply transmute matter. It also allowed him to consciously analyse anything he touched down to the molecular level and recall that information perfectly when needed.

With that done, Chrome dumped the contents of the box onto the fire, which almost immediately shrank down to near nothing as the flames were suffocated by the baking soda. For good measure, Chrome held his hand above what little remained and transmuted the air molecules that came into direct contact with his hand into the same substance he'd just poured onto the fire to take care of the rest.

Crisis averted, Chrome let out a sigh as he oversaw the mess he had made. There was the sauce, which wasn't burnt like the chicken had been, but having had a taste he figured that setting fire to it might actually be an improvement. Then there were was the chicken in the frying pan, burnt to a crisp and covered in a thick layer of baking soda. Finally, there was the rice, which hadn't been burnt completely or turned into something beyond recognition by Chrome's cooking "skill" like the sauce had, but upon closer inspection had sort of caked to the pan it was in due to the Genoshan's neglect. Apparently not even dry rice was something he could make anymore.

"Thank you," Chrome said to Nightmare as he turned around, realising that he had yet to show appreciation for her timely assistance. "I was trying to cook," he explained to her, almost as if how big a mess he had made of the kitchen would otherwise come across as a deliberate attempt to destroy it. Gesturing towards the stove, Chrome managed a smile. "Clearly this isn't something I'm very good at." Or honestly, even remotely decent. Even "terrible" felt like an understatement considering how much he'd managed to do wrong.

"Do you think any of this is salvageable?" Chrome wondered as he leaned in a little to inspect the various pans set out on the stove. "Not the food," he was quick to add. He already knew that his attempt at making food was well beyond saving. "I mean the pots and pans. I'm tempted to just destroy the evidence of my failure and get replacements." All it would take was a simple touch, and the evidence could literally go up in thin air. "And then get something to eat." Looking back towards Nightmare, Chrome offered her another smile. "Are you hungry?"
PMEmail
^
Nightmare
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 02:36 AM

The look he gave her, it tugged at her heart strings a little. It reminded her a lot of the first time she'd ever tried to teach her brother how to cook something more advanced than pasta. Scrambling and panicking would get them nowhere though, which is why she acted with such calm and collected movements. Certainly there was a necessary urgency, but there was no point in getting worked up. Even if she'd been capable of fear, she would have kept her cool, because panic only made room for more mistakes.

She looked over her shoulder again, checking to see if the salt was needed, heaving a little sigh of relief when she saw that the soda had done just fine on its own. Closing the cupboard she'd been digging through, she turned back around and peeked around the taller to survey the damages.

Well at least the walls weren't scorched.

She offered a tiny grin up at him as he faced her and offered thanks. Trying to cook huh? Well, he certainly was trying. “No need for thanks, I'd say you could do with a bit more practice though.” Her gentle tease came out with a small chuckle. She dismissed his need to explain himself with a casual wave of her hand and a smile. Honestly, when she thought hard enough about it, the 'how' really didn't matter aside from her own personal curiosity. What was actually important is that the kitchen was still standing and no one was hurt. “Are you alright? You're not burned at all are you?” She looked over his arms to see if she saw any grease burns. Those could be quite serious if they weren't taken care of properly, and they were painful to boot.

“Hm, well...” She looked at the various pots and pans, stepping over to the stove and peeking into the cookware to see just how damaged everything had become. “I'd say we can clean the rice pan easily enough, and this one looks like it could just be washed out.” Her gaze landed on the questionable looking sauce pan. She pursed her lips a little and then turned her eyes to look at the...was that chicken? She couldn't tell. It used to be something anyway. “This one I think we can just toss.”

She reached over and pat him on the shoulder. “I've got to tell you, this rice pan is going to have to soak in hot water for a while before we can scrape it out. I think in all fairness we can leave it in the sink to its own devices and go get some food for ourselves, because yes, I am hungry.” She hoisted the rice pan off the stove and dumped what wasn't stuck to the pan into the trash.

“I'm Samara, I don't think I've formally introduced myself, though...” She looked at him once more as she put the pan into the sink, having taken a pause before she started filling it with hot soapy water. She did recognize him, of course from just seeing him around the station and from their recent prehistoric adventure, they'd probably even shared a few conversations, though with how hectic and rather ridiculous her life had been in the past few months, let alone days, she was a little embarrassed that they hadn't had a chance to really get to know one another until just then.

“I'm a little taken aback that it's taken me this long to really take a moment to get to know you. Then again, back in the jungle we were a little too busy for casual conversation.” She grabbed a bottle of dish soap and added it to the slowly filling pan.

Chrome
PM
^
Chrome
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 02:38 PM

"A bit more practice," Chrome echoed amusedly when Nightmare teased him about his cooking ability. His gaze shifted back towards the stove again and he let out a soft sigh. Thinking back on his little cooking adventure, Chrome wasn't even sure where exactly it had gone wrong. "Everywhere" came to mind first, but that wasn't particularly helpful, now was it? It wasn't really a learning experience when you remained oblivious to the details of what your mistakes had been. Perhaps "Trying to cook", as he had put it himself, was his mistake here and he should just forever depend on takeout and the kindness of others who were more at home in the kitchen.

As Nightmare checked up on him, Chrome was quick to set his teammate at ease. "Don't worry, I'm fine." He had gotten close to the fire, yes, but not close enough that he had injured himself. As clumsy as he was in the kitchen, Chrome had at least had enough common sense not to get too close to an open fire. Just close enough to try and smother it by using his transmutation ability, which hadn't really done all that much. Gasses were more difficult to transmute in general, and outside of confined spaces the smaller scale on which Chrome was capable of doing so just hadn't been enough.

"I was making sweet and sour chicken," Chrome explained to Nightmare as she took inventory of the damage the man had caused to the cookware. "That was the chicken." He pointed towards the mix of charred meat and baking soda that Nightmare's gaze had landed on. "Little bit too well done, I suppose," he added as he grabbed hold of the frying pan's handle. Nightmare had decreed it beyond salvaging, so he figured he might as well get rid of it while she handled the rice pan.

Strolling over towards the bin, Chrome opened it and shook some of the contents from the pan into it. "My name is Chrome," he introduced herself after Nightmare had done the same, choosing to use the name he had chosen for himself instead of the name he had been given at birth. Despite his parents being among the few humans that he held no ill will towards, Chrome had long distanced himself from his old identity. Allen Yuricic had been a slave to the Genoshan Magistrates, Chrome was the one who had finally turned against them and earned his freedom.

Blue eyes shifted between the bin and the frying pan for a moment, just dumping it in there and closing the lid again seeming like the easiest way to do this. It seemed inconsiderate to fill up the trash bag with something that large though, and so Chrome held it over the bin instead and concentrated briefly, transmuting the entire pan to sand and letting it fall in. Content with his handiwork, Chrome turned around to face Nightmare again. "It's fine," he assured her in response to her apology for not taking a moment to acquaint herself with him sooner. "The Savage Land was rather hectic, and I believe you weren't quite yourself for a while there." He still remembered the teenage girl that Nightmare had been when they first met on that island, arriving alongside Notion and the others.

"And I tend to keep to myself quite a bit," he added, shrugging his shoulders lightly. "Old habits die hard, I guess. Back in Genosha, I was separated from my people and locked up by myself for over a decade." Those holding him captive and forcing him to use his mutant abilities in support of the Genoshan government had been the only ones whom he interacted with. Not exactly a situation that lended itself well for social interactions. "We will simply have to make up for lost time over dinner," he decided then, walking over to the kitchen island and resting his hands on the countertop. "Is there anything in particular you would like?" he wondered, cocking his head ever so slightly. "I'm not a particularly picky eater myself." Which, considering his absolute inability to prepare food, was definitely a good thing.
PMEmail
^
Nightmare
 Posted: Apr 19 2018, 12:12 AM

Seeing that he indeed hadn't been burned at all, she smiled gratefully. “Good, I'm glad. Grease burns are terrible, I wouldn't wish them on anyone.” That was kind of a lie, there were a few people that she would wish a freak grease fire upon, but Chrome certainly wasn't one of them.

“Sweet and sour chicken...well you were on the right track.” Where he went wrong, she would never know, the thought of it being 'too well done' bringing a genuinely amused and good natured smile to her face.

It was a major relief to know he didn't think her terribly rude for not introducing herself sooner. “Hectic is certainly the polite word for our little adventure in that horrible place, and yes I wasn't exactly myself. Well, at least not how I want to be anymore.” It was true that Samara couldn't erase her past. That seventeen year old girl was just as much Samara as the twenty eight year old was, just time and experience had made them different. The teenager had her time to shine and exist, and very clearly the world hadn't been a good place for her anymore.

Samara would be forever thankful for whatever force had restored her to her proper self.

Finishing up with the rice pot she looked over her shoulder and her brow furrowed at the mention of Genosha. She'd heard a fair amount about that horrid place from Seamus, and even thinking about how mutants were treated there had her blood boiling. It was instances like that that made her glad she was still fighting alongside the Brotherhood. If any mutant faction was going to do something about Genosha, it would be them. She dried her hands on a dish towel and turned around, leaning against the counter.

“Well I'm glad you're here now.” The statement was simple but it held a lot more meaning than surface appearances would suggest. She was glad he'd gotten away from the terrible situation, she was glad he was with people willing to take him in, and she was glad he was fighting for a worthy cause.

“Dinner sounds absolutely fantastic. You know, I was actually craving the strangest thing.” She pushed off of the counter and made her way over to the kitchen island to join him. “It's not often that I'm in the mood for greasy bar food. Though now that you mention it, some Chinese sounds good too. The world is our oyster tonight Chrome dear, is there anything you haven't tried before that sounds interesting? If not we'll just hop in the car and I'll take you on a blind food date. Sound fun?” She grinned playfully and braced her arms against the counter top.

From the way he spoke, he hadn't been allowed many choices in the past several years, which could be absolutely detrimental to a person's well being. So she offered him a small choice on helping her choose where and what to eat, without pinning all of the decision making on him and potentially overwhelming him. If he was down for a surprise, she'd be more than happy dragging him to one of her favorite places for some good food. Spending ten years locked up in captivity probably didn't afford him very many culinary experiences, and lucky for him he happened to encounter one of the biggest foodies in the state of New York.

Chrome
PM
^
Chrome
 Posted: Apr 23 2018, 03:26 PM

"It's good to be here," Chrome responded when Nightmare told him she was glad he was there now. The Genoshan's sentiment was genuine, though he was not entirely free of some sense of guilt that he was there while so many of his fellow mutants back in Genosha were still suffering under the magistrates' oppressive regime. It was similar to how he had felt back in his homeland where, despite being kept as a slave like most of his fellow mutants, his had still been a position of relative privilege. These were not thoughts that Chrome could allow himself to linger on for too long, not unless he wanted to bring down Nightmare's evening with a sullen presence, so he pushed them to the back of his mind.

Discussing dinner plans with his fellow Brotherhood member did wonders to distract him from lamenting about his homeland as well. His brows quirked up slightly as Nightmare mentioned having had a craving for greasy bar food, his brain struggling to marry the idea of that with the perfectly poised woman in front of him. He did not comment on that immediately, instead giving some consideration to the options that Nightmare had presented him with. Which were... well, basically whatever he would like to have, which was considerate of his teammate, but didn't do much to actually help him decide on anything.

"I've never actually had greasy bar food," he shared with her, "but I'm not sure if that actually sounds interesting to me." It was probably the "greasy" part of it, that did not add anything to its appeal. "I'm not even sure what kind of dishes that would entail, to be honest." Probably a lot of fried food, which didn't actually sound all that unappealing, especially in comparison to the disaster he had attempted to cook up. Granted, there were a lot of things that would seem appealing compared to that mess. Chrome would probably try to eat sand before taking his chances with his culinary disaster.

"Since you're the one who actually seems to know a thing or two about food, I think I'll opt for being surprised," he decided. "You know, expand my horizons a little." He paused for a moment before adding, "so probably no seafood." Genosha was an island nation in the Indian Ocean without all that much space for agriculture, so fish had always been a dietary staple. It wasn't like his captors ever went out of their way to provide him with anything but whatever was readily available. Again, he'd undoubtedly had it much better than the likes of Seamus and Wicked, but when your own situation only looked somewhat decent compared to that of people whose lives were absolutely awful that still didn't make it even remotely good.

"You know how to drive, yes?" Chrome wondered as he pushed away from the kitchen island and started towards the door leading out into the hallway. "Because just like cooking, driving is something that I do not know how to do." Just another entry on a long list of things he had never gotten to experience, because it hadn't been part of his expected role as a Genoshan slave. "Though it could be fun," he added as he paused in the doorway, looking towards Nightmare and flashing her a smile. "Kind of what I imagine what a rollercoaster would be like, except with more of a risk of imminent death and the terror that comes with that."
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.