Thread of the Month

Thread of the Month:
In Da Club

Add Reply
New Poll

Stay Humble, Work Hard, Be Kind, 16th Feb | 20:30 | Closed to Tagged
Psylocke
 Posted: Jan 24 2018, 07:17 AM

Getting into a person’s head, diving deep into their closely guarded thoughts and experiences had always had a profound effect on Betsy. She had never been particularly respectful with her mutation; even when her telepathy had been weaker she had left herself completely open to the surface thoughts of anyone in close proximity. But as indignant as she might have been about the suggestion that she put up barriers against other’s thoughts, even Bee didn’t routinely scan minds for more hidden details. Certain things were sacred, she felt, and it did not give her any pleasure to stomp around someone’s mind spying on thoughts, memories and motivations that they wouldn’t normally share with even their closest loved ones. For a start people had the right to dissenting thought; difference of opinion was the cornerstone of a fair and equal society. It was also an incredibly uncomfortable feeling to stumble across a detail so deeply buried that even its owner was unaware of it. Knowing something about a person that they did not even know about themselves felt like a sort of theft.

Despite any personal feelings she might have had on the matter when the situation called for it Betsy stepped up. Just as she had done that evening when Sunspot had finally made an appearance at the school along with Mimic. It hadn’t taken long to determine that Roberto would be no threat; he was such a broken man that his mind had been wide open, far too tired to put up any kind of resistance. She had gleaned from him that he meant no harm to anyone before she had even reached the end of the driveway. A former member of the Brotherhood, Calvin had been a different story entirely. In her role as head of security it was Betsy’s job to view the young man as a potential threat but personally she had never really given him much thought. That he had willingly submitted himself to a full telepathic probe had won him immediate respect. After almost forty-five minutes inside of his mind, Betsy had been satisfied that he meant no harm to anyone.

More than that, she felt that she had developed an understanding of him. Every choice made in life came with a catalogue of life experiences that informed it and what she had seen of Cal’s memories went a long way to explaining how he had come to be where he was today. Most importantly she had come to appreciate why he could not stay away from but did not feel like he could belong at Xavier’s as the man he had grown into, and that he was in absolutely no way a threat to the people there. Even when he had been Brotherhood he would have never hurt them. Hell, she didn’t need to be a telepath to know that, Betsy had been at President Kelly’s inauguration, she had seen what he had done for the X-Men there. She knew how he felt; Psylocke was an X-Man because that had been what she had wanted five years ago but so much had happened since then that had separated her from the Xavier’s philosophy. They were not so different, she and Calvin.

Now that much of the evening had passed since they had sat down for their session Betsy was seeking out the young mutant once again. She had left Cal with a warning that she would be watching him and true to her promise, Bee knew exactly where to find the mimic. Wrapping herself up against the cold she wandered across to Breakstone Lake at a leisurely pace, comfortable in the knowledge that he was likely not going anywhere anytime soon. Her arms wrapped about her body for comfort, she trudged through the grass, a smile crossing her lips as he came into view. She was very much aware that he would know that she was there so as she drew up alongside him, she neglected to make any greeting instead standing by his side in silence for a few minutes. Looking out at the still waters gleaming in the grey blue of the moonlight, she drew in a deep breath before deliberately turning towards Calvin in order to catch his attention.

Thank you.” She said with a smile, her British accent very softly infused with a tone that was not her own. “For earlier. For what little it’s worth, I want you to know that I don’t enjoy that part of my job at all.” It should have been enough that Jean trusted him to be there. “I wanted to just catch up with you actually, to see how your day has been--” She paused for the briefest of moments “--and I have something that I wanted to ask you but that can wait a moment.” Drawing her hands up close to her chest, Betsy blew hot breath over her fingers in an attempt to warm them. “I hope no one has given you too much trouble today?” She asked with genuine interest; however artificial her coming to know him was, her delve into his mind earlier that day had fostered an almost instant concern for him, like she had known him for years. “I would have made the same choice. Joining the Brotherhood. If I had been in your position. I wanted you to know that.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Mimic
 Posted: Jan 25 2018, 05:32 PM

Breakstone Lake had always been Calvin's favourite place at Xavier's, somewhere he would go to get away from the bustle of the mansion, from that constant pressure of other mutants' abilities practically lining up to take a spot in his genetic template. Having so many different mutations to mimic and try out was great, and he'd taken the opportunity that happened to come with his visit today to change things up, as was his very nature, but sometimes it was nice to experience some relative quiet. Cal could still sense the other mutants at Xavier's, his range of detection far outstripping his range for mimicry, but standing on the shore of the lake he still felt more relaxed than he had inside the school itself. There were some less than fond memories that came with being in this specific location as well, ones that he had carried with him for many years, but weighed against the more numerous positive ones associated with Breakstone Lake, Cal's mood had ended up with a net improvement overall.

So of course that probably wasn't going to last.

Psylocke's arrival had gone mostly unnoticed at first. His innate mutant ability picked up that she was there as it did with any other, but he simply hadn't paid it much mind, certainly not enough to recognise a mutant signature he wasn't all that familiar with. It wasn't until she actually came within range of his power mimicry that Calvin suddenly found himself very much aware of both Betsy's proximity and identity. It had been a conscious choice on Calvin's part to let go of Jean's powers. As useful as they had proven to be, the lack of telepathy brought a welcome reprieve from having to constantly make at least some effort to retain any semblance of mental tranquility. But with Betsy's arrival, and Calvin's lack of being prepared to push against the intrusion of her mutant ability into the one slot he kept open, that serenity came to an immediate end. At least the experience he had using the ability allowed him to shut out the unwanted thoughts, the distance between himself and the mansion aiding in that as well.

Still, Betsy's arrival had put Calvin on edge, though that had little to do with her mutation and far more with the fact that it was her. He had submitted himself willingly to being interrogated and scanned by the woman, wanting to show that he wasn't a threat, but that hadn't made the experience any more enjoyable to him. He'd felt exposed, like Betsy had gained access to memories and thoughts she had no right or need to see, and he would rather have kept his distance from her. Calvin had never felt at such a complete disadvantage around anyone before, with how thoroughly she knew his mind and how little he knew of hers. She made him highly uncomfortable.

It was because of that feeling that Calvin actually held onto Betsy's mutation for now. While she might have been privy to virtually everything there was to him only a few hours before, he wanted to feel like he could keep at least his current thoughts to himself. Not that there would be anything of interest to the X-Men's head of security there; Calvin just preferred to feel like there were yet again some things in his mind that were solely his own unless he was the one to share them. He was under no illusion that he would be able to keep someone as Psylocke out if she wanted in, she was twice as powerful and far more experienced after all, but at least she'd have to make an effort.

Despite Cal thinking that Betsy was there to check up on him to make sure he was behaving himself though, it didn't seem like that was actually the case. When she finally spoke up after what had to have been some of the most uncomfortable minutes in Calvin's recent history to thank him, he shot her an incredulous look. Then, as she immediately went on to explain what she was thanking him for, all he had to offer her in response was a light shrug. "You're welcome" was the default response to being thanked, but it felt completely out of place here. He hadn't done it for her, and she wasn't welcome at all; Calvin had only done it so he would be allowed onto the school grounds, and that had pretty much only been done so Roberto would feel secure enough to do something he so desperately needed to. Informing those at Xavier's about Alexei could have been accomplished by simply asking someone like Hank or Jean to meet him elsewhere, off the school grounds.

The way Betsy spoke to him, as if there was any kind of actual familiarity between the two of them did not sit right with Calvin. Catching up with someone, seeing how their day had been, that was something that happened between friends, or at least acquaintances. Betsy was neither to him. She was just a stranger, someone he had barely even gotten to know during his initial stay at the school when she was decidedly less Japanese, which just made the way she addressed him feel terribly awkward. Apparently she had an actual reason for approaching him, but she forewent that so she could... make some small talk? Actually address something that she had plucked from his mind as if they were discussing something he'd confided in her? Calvin knew from his own experience what life could be like for a telepath, how it could affect social interaction due to the ability to read someone's thoughts, but this felt like it had gone far beyond that.

Someone needed to be set straight.

"What do you think you're doing?" Cal finally spoke up, his tone harsh compared to the one Betsy had used on him. "Please take a couple of steps back, take proper measure of the situation, and realise that this familiarity you seem to think exists between us is completely one sided," he added, turning his gaze away from her and peering out across the lake instead. He had no intention of antagonising her, but he needed Betsy to know that this did not sit well with him. "I have no problem answering any questions you might have for me, Ms. Braddock, but let's steer away from any casual discussion of my life, okay? You're basically a stranger to me, what does it even tell me knowing that you would have made the same mistake I did?" Knowing nothing about Betsy, there wasn't anything for him to put that decision into perspective with. "All I know," he continued, "is that you would have ended up disappointing a lot of people and opening yourself up to a world of regret." But then she already knew that, didn't she? She'd gotten to see all that for herself.

"But to answer your question..." Calvin glanced back towards Betsy then. "No. Not everyone was happy to see me, but no one gave me too much trouble." His encounter with Merry hadn't gone well at all, but then that was his own fault for not lowering his expectations. Clearly he'd disappointed her enough that everything he said and did was met with wariness. There was nothing left of their friendship to soften the edges of the obstacles between them, and Cal saw no real way to fix that. Maybe it was just time to accept that their friendship was over and move on, even though giving up on something that had meant so much to him all those years ago felt shitty.

"What is it you wanted to ask, Ms. Braddock?" He wondered then. "Sorry if it feels like I'm just trying to get rid of you, but... well, maybe I am." With what he'd told her already, that likely didn't come as a surprise to Betsy, so why not just be honest with her? "I feel like an open book around you, one you've already read cover to cover. In just forty-five minutes you got to know me better than anyone, and that just makes me uncomfortable." Not even Jean or Roberto had gotten that kind of deep dive into Calvin's past, but at least with them he'd be secure in knowing he'd shared everything with them himself. Despite this having been his own choice, the situation with Betsy still felt wholly different. ""It was easier to pretend you didn't actually know as much as you do when you weren't here, casually bringing up a personal choice I made the way you did." It wasn't even the fact that she knew about those things, but the insight she had in them that really bothered him. It made him feel like she'd dug deeper than she might have had to, and worse, that she actually understood him better than he did himself.
PM
^
Psylocke
 Posted: Jan 28 2018, 09:40 AM

Betsy’s stomach lurched as Calvin spoke. She had not expected a friendly reception but what she had received in response to a genuine question had taken her by surprise. Twice she tried to speak up, to defend herself, to answer his questions and twice he spoke over her attempts. Balling her fists up at her side, she listened to him finish his angry monologue with her lips pursed and her expression set to one of intense frustration. It was hurtful to hear how he felt about what she had done regardless of his submitting himself willingly. It hurt because it hadn’t been her choice to do what she had but her duty and his responding the way that he did made her feel to blame for his discomfort when really she ought not to have been. Betsy couldn’t help that this was the way that it had to be, that was on Calvin. If he hadn’t made the choice to join the Brotherhood then the scan would not have been needed. As much as she might have understood the path that he had chosen to take, Bee was not about ready to suggest he shouldn’t accept the consequences. If he was mad at anyone, it ought to have been at himself, not her. It struck a personal chord too; everybody felt uncomfortable around a telepath, it really didn’t matter what she did there were few who were able to relax when she was nearby. Adding another person to that list felt like a personal defeat.

When the young man across from her finally finished speaking, she cleared her throat and levelled him with a dark stare.“What does my admitting that I would have made the same choice tell you? That you’re not alone, you idiot. That you’re not the only person on the planet to have made similar mistakes. That I understand to some extent why you made the choice that you did” Betsy arched an eyebrow. If Cal had meant to antagonise her with such a frosty reception then he was doing a brilliant job. “I was trying to show you that we’re not so different, that we have some common ground. Since, as you so succinctly put it, we’re basically strangers.” Instead she appeared to have insulted him. This was the perfect start to what she had hoped would be a positive meeting. “And please get down off of that soapbox of your’s Calvin Rankin and consider that I may have come to my conclusions from what I witnessed at the Presidential Inauguration, not from our session earlier.” Yes she had taken a very detailed look at the past few months so that she knew in very great detail everything that had happened to him since then but she had not gone as deeply with anything from before then, just snatching the odd memory from here or there that seemed connected; minds were not linear, it was not an easy task to limit what she saw. She had made an effort though and was affronted by the suggestion in his attitude that he was uncomfortable with how far she had gone.

Drawing in a deep breath, Betsy focused her attention away from Mimic, biting her lip to stay her frustration. His reaction to her had caught her off guard, embarrassed her even and Psylocke did not respond well to embarrassment; it just made her angry. “Do you think I’m the kind of person who enjoys rooting around in someone’s mind? That was as deeply an uncomfortable experience for me as it was for you. Searching a person’s mind that thoroughly leaves a psychic impression that is difficult to shake, there’s this horrible conflict between knowing that you don’t know a person at all and feeling like you do. Constantly questioning your own thoughts, beliefs and memories of a person is exhausting.” Which was why she sometimes slipped and she would have appreciated a little bit of understanding from one of a few people who ought to have had some insight. This had been a bad idea; if she made Calvin as uncomfortable as this from just one meeting then she couldn’t see how they could spend any significant amount of time together. “If you must know I did not ‘read from cover to cover’ why would I? What about your life before joining the Brotherhood is at all relevant to me as Security Chief?

Closing her eyes for a second, Betsy tried to focus her feelings. The pair did not need to argue over something that they were never going to see from the same perspective. Needing to diffuse her own emotive response to Calvin’s lecture, the young ninja took a minute to herself before speaking again, this time her tone was softer although what she had to say wasn’t any less scolding. “I’m sorry, I clearly handled this poorly, if there was over familiarity in my tone, please know that it was not conscious. You ought to take a moment to think about how you speak to someone who was only trying to be nice though. I would have wanted to know how you were doing whether I had read your mind or not. Forgive me for trying to extend a hand of friendship. I was trying to show you that not everyone feels the same way as others.” Because she knew what it was like to be viewed with suspicion. When she had returned from the South China sea less than two years ago not everyone had been happy to see her, unconvinced that she was even Betsy Braddock and uncertain that her loyalties remained with the X-Men or that she would ever be completely clear of the control that the Hand had had over her for so long.

You don’t need to tell me about disappointment and regret.” She said, thinking back to what he had said about joining the Brotherhood. “I have had my fair share. Neither of those things have to be permanent though, Calvin. Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo.” Shoving her cold hands into her coat pockets, she once again turned away from Mimic. This encounter had not gone well at all and she was seriously questioning whether or not he’d really want to know what she had sought him out for. There was a danger he’d find her question equally as offensive as he seemed to find her very presence, after all she had resolved to ask him it following what she had learned about him from their session. Mimic was just the sort of person that she needed; his ability to sense mutants, to mimic powers, his experience in combat, with the government agents that were a threat to the whole of mutantkind. He was the perfect candidate. “I came to offer you a job actually. But given your reaction to me just now… Okay, regardless of that I think you’d be a real asset. I want you to join mansion security. Not as an X-Man if that isn’t what you want, just as someone we could really do with on the team.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Mimic
 Posted: Feb 4 2018, 05:27 PM

Betsy telling him that he wasn't alone because there were people who made similar mistakes, and that she had some measure of understanding for his situation sort of bounced off of Calvin. He already had people who understood not just his decisions, but actually got the person who made them, and Betsy despite having had the advantage of rooting through his mind clearly did not. Unlike those others, people like Berto, Reece, Chuck and Jean, he didn't know her from Adam. Finding understanding meant a whole lot less when you didn't know where that understanding came from. Had Betsy actually taken the time to talk to him, to ease him into the conversation and allow him to at least get some sort of measure of who she was, Calvin might very well have reacted very differently. But things had gone differently and so he had bristled, angering Betsy in the process.

Swallowing back hard when told to get off his soap box, Calvin managed to keep from asking Betsy if she'd consider buying a clue. It didn't matter to him what had informed her question, it was that she'd deemed them familiar enough to discuss any aspect of his life. But Cal wasn't there to ruffle any feathers, not any more than he already had anyway, and so he decided that it was best if he just kept quiet. Betsy could give him a piece of her mind, to excuse what Cal saw as her overstepping her boundaries, and then hopefully leave so he could be by himself until Beto was ready to go home.

When she began explaining what reading his mind had been like for her, Calvin heaved a sigh. Did she think he didn't know what it was like for a telepath? He had telepathy until he'd dropped Jean's powers earlier to make room for a mutation that involved less talking in his head. Wait, no. He still had telepathy. Betsy could be credited for that, though he only had himself to blame for getting confused. At a place like Xavier's it could even be challenging for him to remember what powers he had sometimes. But yeah, he got what it was like, he understood that it could be difficult to tell the difference between how well you knew someone and how well you felt you knew someone, thanks to a level of awareness that most people did not possess. In this case though, Calvin didn't see how there was anything to be confused about. Before today the two of them had literally never interacted, so from his perspective Betsy had to know that any sense of familiarity she had towards him came from something that wasn't real.

That she hadn't exactly read him from cover to cover was mildly reassuring, though hearing her ask what about his life before the Brotherhood could be relevant to her had him staring at her incredulously for a moment. "I--actually, never mind." If she had deemed most of his past to not be of interest to her, Calvin wasn't going to correct her. Describing his final years at Xavier's as troublesome was an understatement, he had spent the years following his departure living what was basically the life of a criminal, and he'd spent the two and a half years after that as a living weapon and test subject for the U.S. government, but if she didn't think that was important Cal wasn't going to bring it up. She probably knew about all that anyway, despite claiming his life before joining the Brotherhood wasn't of any interest to her. Regardless of whether or not she knew, none of that was anything he'd want to discuss with her anyway.

For a brief moment Calvin thought that things might take a slight turn for the better when Betsy apologised, but the slight ease in the tension came over him was pretty much undone immediately when she went on to chastise him for the way he had spoken to her. Apologies were always best when they came with disclaimers and counter-arguments, right? Ugh. Calvin wished he'd known this conversation was coming so he could have taped it, then played it back to Betsy to make her realise how all of this sounded. She had just tried to be friendly, had just wanted to extend a hand of friendship... with absolutely no regard for the fact that Calvin might feel awkward around her following their earlier interaction, or that she had gone about ten steps too far in her attempt to be friends with a guy with whom she had no foundation for it.

But at the same time, Cal couldn't just completely ignore what was at the core of this all. As poorly executed as her approach had been, as uncomfortable as she had made him when she stumbled into his presence speaking to him as if they were already friends, Betsy's intent had been good. Coming around to accept that hardly meant that he would be jumping in her arms, ready to talk about all of his poor decisions in life, but at the very least it meant he bit back the words he'd wanted to fire back at her. He wasn't going to apologise for the way he had reacted to her initial approach, but he wouldn't add further fuel to the fire that had sparked to life between them either.

Well, he wouldn't add to it that way.

When the job offer came, a brief laugh escaped from Calvin's lips before he could catch himself. Psylocke was actually serious about this, offering him, one of the two people Trevor had been on guard duty for in the student dorms, a job on her security team. Cal struggled to wrap his mind around that even after Betsy had assured him she thought he would be a real asset to the team. There were several questions that came to mind then, but Cal managed to combine most of them into a single word. "...why?" Was her team so lacking that she had gotten desperate? Was this one of those "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" sort of deals? Had Jean put her up to this, figuring that this would finally be the first step towards Calvin's return to Xavier's?

"That doesn't sound like a good idea," he decided before Betsy had a chance to give him a response to his question. He did want to know why she had even asked, but he'd already pretty much made up his mind. "This--" Calvin gestured between the two of them, "--is not the foundation for a good work environment. Sure, I bet we could smooth things out between us eventually, once you take a step back and realise that discussing deeply personal issues is not what you start off a friendship with, and I stop trying to take your head off for trying to be nice." That was neither an accusation nor an apology, he was merely stating what he saw as the core of the strife between the two of them. "But that won't make people trust me. You asked me about my day earlier. Here." Focusing intently on Betsy, the psychic butterfly that was basically the woman's telepathic callsign appearing over his eyes, Calvin shared with her what had transpired between himself and two of her fellow X-Men earlier.

Once that was done, Calvin relaxed again and the psychic butterfly dissipated again. With the information freely given, it didn't add anything to his general discomfort around Betsy. She could use some perspective to get where he was coming from. "They were overreacting a little, because they didn't know everything I did, I get that, but they weren't wrong." Turning his gaze away from Betsy and back towards the lake, Calvin heaved a sigh. "It's your job to keep this school and the kids who call it home safe," he spoke quietly. "Inviting someone like me into your home only compromises that safety. Goliath might have been dealt with, but that doesn't mean others won't come for me." Even if Utah meant that actually persecuting him would be a complete legal nightmare, Calvin hadn't forgotten how things had gone last time. No legal proceedings whatsoever, he'd just been incarcerated and experimented on because someone had decided his rights were forfeit. Nothing that had happened since had given Cal any reason to have more faith in the human judgement system and its treatment of known mutants.

"So thanks, but no thanks," Cal added as he turned his gaze back towards Betsy. "Whatever you think it is I might add to your team..." Calvin could still only guess what she wanted from a former criminal and member of a terrorist organisation who had never even finished high school, "...I don't think it would be nearly enough to make up for the danger me being here on any kind of regular basis would put the school in."
PM
^
Psylocke
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 07:23 AM

Crossing her arms over her chest as Calvin let out a laugh, Betsy did not even try to hide the unimpressed expression that crossed her features. This was not going as she had planned. It was largely her own fault but she couldn’t help feeling like Mimic was purposefully trying to make things more awkward. She chose not to answer his question of why she had asked him to join the team, the answer should have been obvious and if he couldn’t see it then, well, he was an idiot. There were a wide variety of skills across the members of her security team and as broad a spectrum of powers and Mimic’s experience both with his mutation and in life could only add to what they already had. Betsy didn’t care about anything else; about his association with the Brotherhood, she’d have welcomed most of them through Xavier’s doors with open arms or that he was close with Sunspot despite what he had done to Bobby. She only rolled her eyes when Cal said that he didn’t think him joining security was a good idea.

"This? This was nothing.” She said in response to his stating that their little disagreement was not a good working environment. “I approached the situation clumsily. You spared no feelings in your response. I asked you to work for me not be my friend. I’m not about to go back to my quarters and cry over what just happened here. ” She might have felt a misplaced sense of familiarity that had maybe caused her to speak out of turn but Betsy wasn’t stupid, she knew full well that she and Calvin weren’t friends; she wasn’t in the least bit worried about whether or not they got along personally. In fact she preferred to keep people, especially her team members, at arms length. It was easier losing people when you felt as little for them as possible. What the psychic probe had offered her, part of what she had been trying to say earlier, was a sense that she could trust Mimic. He’d made some questionable choices in the past but who hadn’t? But apparently he felt that others couldn’t and that somehow that was important.

Allowing him to share with her what he had been through that day with Merry and Trevor, Betsy smiled to herself as she witnessed their treatment of Cal. Merry was a firebrand and had never been one to mince her words, Bee imagined she was sore over Cal’s perceived betrayal in joining the Brotherhood. Trevor, well, that man needed help but she doubted very much that he’d get any. If anyone in the school could be considered a threat at that moment it was him. He had made a poor choice attacking Senyaka like he had in front of the watchful eyes of thousands and arming a six year old, filling her with distrust and hate, behaviour like that belonged in Magneto’s crew not at Xavier’s. They were both good people and she loved Merry fiercely but they weren’t faultless themselves. Neither though should they have been central to Cal’s decision making, they were just two people in a school full of so many more. You’re right. There’s people here who don’t trust you. They maly feel like that for the rest of their lives, they may have a change of heart. Who knows?” She said coolly.

But you know who my team do trust? Me.” She added, touching a finger to her chest as if Cal needed to know who she had meant. “And this was my decision.” If they didn’t like it then she was sure that they would tell her but they would accept it to and be nothing but professional on a day to day basis. That was even if any of them cared at all; she struggled to see at least Matt or Forge judging harshly. “I’m also fairly sure that there are people here who would trust you implicitly and that there are those who have no opinion about you whatsoever.” There were going to be people at the mansion who didn’t know Cal or his history, those who could be forgiving of the short period that he had been with the Brotherhood, those who did not judge him for his political alignment. Xavier’s was not a hive mind, every single person at the school formed their opinions based on their own unique frames of reference. Betsy was more than confident that there were people there who had been tempted by the same decisions that Calvin had had to face.

She only laughed herself when Calvin gave his final argument for why he though Psylocke’s offer of a job was ridiculous. It was almost sweet that he seemed to think he was the only person in Westchester to have had a life that came with its own risks. “You think you pose some kind of a threat that others here don’t already?” She asked, arching a dark eyebrow. “I appreciate your concern, Calvin. That you would worry so much about the safety of the people here is just another reason for me to have you on the team. Swiping a hand through her hair, Betsy took a step backwards. “Because you don’t. You’re not unique in your position. Take myself; there’s a mystical ninja organisation out there that probably doesn’t appreciate my betrayal of them. The woman occupying my real body is a trained assassin and there’s every chance she wants this one back and I worked for a British government agency that had its own fair share of enemies before it disbanded.” She had questioned time and again whether she could even trust herself; what if Matsuo had programmed trigger words when she had been brainwashed, or if Spiral had done something more than just switch her body with Kwannon’s.

The staff and students who were taken by Sinister just recently had all sorts of experiments performed on them. We have no idea what that man might have done to them as a means for tracking them down later.” If it could be argued that Cal posed a threat by potentially leading government forces to the school then the same could be said for anyone who had been taken hostage by Sinister but they weren’t going to turn away people who had been subjected to mental and physical torture on the off chance that something terrible could happen. Even the suggestion was heartless. At the inauguration Trevor publicly started a fight with a member of the Brotherhood bringing attention to himself and others and making the situation worse than it ought to have been.” She had been furious about his behaviour and incredulous at how it had been brushed under the carpet, or even that he didn’t seem even remotely sorry for his part in what had happened. But she wasn’t the X-Leader nor was she privy to how every situation was dealt with so she had said nothing.

Point is, there are so many people living here who pose some kind of a threat. The X-Men don’t turn people away because of the things that have been done to them or the poor choices that they’ve made. That’s not what we’re about here.” Waving her hand Betsy turned to walk away. She was done here. He didn’t want to take up her offer and she wasn’t prepared to fight for him to take her up on it. Cal didn’t want her around and so she would leave him be. Looking back she added her final two penny worth. “I’m not going to force you to do something that you don’t wish to do, Calvin. I just couldn’t let you leave without putting the offer on the table. So consider it open ended; if you ever feel like protecting the futures of young mutants is something that you could see yourself doing then you know where to find me. Until then, I have some unwanted memories that I need erased.” She said, tapping her temples lightly.

You’re a powerful mutant, Calvin with incredible skill. I absolutely believe that what you would bring to the team completely outweighs any risk that you think you’d pose. I’m truly sorry that I caused you offense or upset earlier.” Not waiting for an answer, the Security Chief turned away once more and began the walk back towards the mansion.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.