Thread of the Month:
WPX - Storming the Castle

Add Reply
New Poll

Alohomora, April 16th 5:00 PM
Brother Voodoo
 Posted: Jun 3 2018, 11:08 AM

New Orleans

The magically adjacent mutant had become a source of interest for Jericho Drumm. He had always had an interest in mutations, but from a purely mental health psychiatry perspective. Having written a few articles and spoken at a few conventions about the stress and anxiety of being adolescent teen and mutant in a world that hated them for being both teenagers and mutants. Jericho's network of Free Clinics had several mutant patients who were struggling with this very issue.

Being mutant was dangerous enough. Being mutant and magically adjacent came with a whole other sort of challenges. Challenges that the individual may or may not be aware of, and certainly lacked the tools to handle whatever may come their way. Playing with life energies was certainly one of those magically adjacent aspects that could morph into a whole host of issues. In a matter of moments, Jericho could rattle off a host of demonic entities that could be released from their dimension with a sacrifice of life force. This usually required living sacrifices, but with someone who could summon and control life force, the reality of demonic incursions became that much more daunting. So with that in mind, Jericho set out to make contact with another Magically Adjacent mutant, Meridian.

Jericho had first encountered her during Moondog's attack in New York. Though the chaos of the scene and needing to deal with the Loa Marinette had prevented him from approaching her on that day. Jericho, however, was not one to dawdle about when it came to taking care of business. So with the proper symbol etched into the floor of Hounfour, the Sanctum located in New Orleans, Jericho cast the spell that called upon the Loa Papa Legba to open the crossroads that connected the Hounfour to Meridian's home.

The hallway in Marlen's home would shimmer and flicker, like a Klingon ship decloaking, until the hallway was replaced with the hallway in Jericho's Sanctum. Brother Voodoo, clad in all his regalia, stood at the end of the hallway. "Marlene, I am Jericho Drumm, Brother Voodoo. Come this way if you would. We have much to discuss." He simply said with a pleasant smile. Brother Voodoo was never one for subtly, known for his aggressive tendencies when it came to the wielding of magical energies. "Or we can talk there in your home." He really had little preference on the matter.
PM
^
Meridian
 Posted: Jun 6 2018, 02:27 PM

Marlee had dealt with much of the Supernatural, but little of the actually Magical. Her range of study was that of esotericism. Of chi and ki, of the theories and methods of gurus and martial arts savants. Sure, there were supernatural elements, but Magic was a different creature entirely. One she knew was A Thing, but that's about where her knowledge ended.

There was a brief moment of confusion as Marlee watched the hallway become an entirely different one, but she definitely didn't seem surprised. Whether or not that was a good sign, that was up to Brother Voodoo to decide. She thought about his offer for a moment, looking at the man curiously as she sipped from a mug of black coffee, before setting it down and taking out her PDA. "Psi, tell Mom I went shopping while she was out." A helpful little ding came from the life-awakened device in response, before Marlee headed on through the magical hallway.

Marlee, of course, was not dressed in any sort of regalia. She was just in a plain black shirt and jeans. "'Brother Voodoo', huh? Not exactly subtle, but I suppose that's usually par for the course when it comes to the supernatural." She set down her mug on a nearby table, and offered a hand for Jericho to shake. "Marlee Shepard. I don't really do nicknames and titles if I can help it." The nickname of Meridian, of course, had been one put on her. A title given by many of the gurus and ascetics she'd studied under, each one sensing her to be a true connection to that which they studied. A conduit of Life Itself, by virtue of her mutant power. A Meridian. "So, 'much to discuss?' Color me curious."
PM
^
Brother Voodoo
 Posted: Jun 9 2018, 02:48 PM

"Don't be ominous and rude bruddah, whicha 'we have much to discuss." The spirit of Daniel Drumm floated down from the balcony above to hover next to his brother. To which Meridian, with her life sight, would be able to see was intrinsically connected to. Years ago, Jericho had brought the soul of his brother back from where he was and bound him to his own soul. The life forces of the two brothers were united and tied together by very powerful magics. "Welcame to Hounfour. The Sanctum in New Orleans and home of the Voodoo Houngan Supreme." Daniel had a decidedly Haitain accent. While his brother Jericho had one that had been almost entirely Americanized.

Jericho was not one for titles or the great many titles that came with being the master of a mystical nexus that the sorcerers called a Sanctum. And Jericho had a great many titles. Psychiatrist, Doctor, Master, Sorcerer, Houngan Supreme. However, his brother Daniel was very fond of titles. They were honors that had been bestowed upon them and should carried with pride and not hidden. At least that was Daniels take on the matter.

"Yes, welcome to The Big Easy." Jericho said, confirming that Marlene had not only stepped from one room to the next, but from New York to New Orleans as well. "Come this way. I have a sitting room just around the corner." Jericho said, giving a bit of a wave, Marlene's mug returned to her hand. "Lesson number one. Never misplace a personal object in a Sorcerers home." Jericho said as he walked down the hall and into the sitting room where he seated himself in a high backed leather chair. "You are here today because you are a mutant that I refer to as magically adjacent. And as such you should be aware of that which you are adjacent to." Jericho poured himself a cup of coffee from the pot that sat on a table next to him. His Staff of Legba and its creepy unsettling shrunken heads leaded up against the chair. Like those portraits of people, the heads seemed to follow Marlene as she moved. Whether they were or not was up for debate. "Magically adjacent does not mean able to cast any spell. It simply means you are a close neighbor and likely to encounter things of a mystical nature. And as such you should have more knowledge." Jericho motioned for her to have a seat and before continuing on. "So, ask the questions that you undoubtedly have."
PM
^
Meridian
 Posted: Jun 11 2018, 01:13 PM

'Well, at least the ghost has a personality.' Marlee thought to herself, catching the mug as it came back to her hand and seeming a bit confused. Brother Voodoo's sanctum was pretty damn weird after all, and the fact that he seemed to communicate exclusively in Ominous-ese wasn't helping the matter. This place just made her feel on edge. A good part of it being the honest-to-god shrunken heads on the man's staff.

The term 'magically adjacent' annoyed her, but she couldn't quite place why. Another label, another title. It was one aspect of the supernatural that she'd always found to be a constant - titles. Everything had a proper name, a proper title, a proper way of doing things. Sometimes it was helpful, being able to work as a good mnemonic for the myriad weirdness of the supernatural world. But she couldn't help but feel it was somehow condescending. Jericho being all business was making her think more the latter.

She gave one notable look to Daniel, her eyes briefly glinting as her Life-sight took effect, studying the strange ghost and his... "host" now that she wasn't being attacked by tiny evil dolls. He was an interesting case, one she'd never dealt with before. A once-dead being retaining life energy of its own was, from her experience, impossible. "Normally dealing with the once-dead has me on edge, but your... brother there, he seems different. I'd ask how this happened, but I'm fairly sure the answer is 'magic'." Marlee settled into her seat, one leg crossed over the other. "Pleasure to meet you." She said, giving a polite nod to Daniel before turning her vision back to the real world.

"I'll admit, though... this is a decidedly more... 'Western' variety of supernatural than I'm used to dealing with. My studies have mostly been in Asia. I deal more with chi and esotericism. Worst I've ever dealt with was a couple wannabe necromancers." She thought on Jericho's offer for a moment, but her main question came to mind almost immediately. She was well versed enough to know that "magic" was more than just a common word used by those who didn't understand, and this seemed like the way she was going to get confirmation. "Might as well get the big question out of the way first... what is "Magic", really? Like, capital 'M'."
PM
^
Brother Voodoo
 Posted: Jun 16 2018, 03:20 PM

The questions one asked when given the opportunity to revealed as much about the person as the answers to questions or the observations that therapists and psychiatrists were trained to make regarding behaviors and body languages. The more inwardly egocentric types asked why them, or about themselves and being a sort of neighbor to the mystically inclined. The more inquisitive and studious types went for the grander questions that would seek to expand their knowledge. Which is what Marlene had done.

"You are correct. The answer is magic. Voodoo magic to be exact." The ghost of Daniel Drumm nodded in agreement. The two were intrinsically bound to one another through the spell that returned his spirit to this plane and anchored it to Jericho's own soul.

Pouring himself a cup of team from the pot on the serving table. Jerocho considered the question while stirring in the milk that needed to be added. "Magic is the practice of utilizing certain universal energies and extra-dimensional forces whose nature is beyond the scope of technologically-oriented science in order to achieve a desired effect. There are various sources, personal energies, ambient magical energy of the universe, extradimensional energy, as well as various schools of practice. Necromancy as you've experience and Voodoo are two examples." It was a heavy answer to a even heavier question. It was also a rather academic answer to be for sure. One that was likely to create more questions than answers.

Meridian
PM
^
Meridian
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 04:43 PM

"...lovely. So going by your definition, I do magic too." Marlee gave a quiet sigh, but she hadn't expected a simple answer and she knew it. And, being a scholar in the grand scheme of things, she was fine having a starting point to work from. "My powers let me manipulate life force. Chi, Ki, whatever. I'd demonstrate, but it's... subtle." She shrugged and sipped from her mug.

"You've seen one of the two main uses of it, though. With the dolls. I can fry the... "wiring" of things like that that are animated with false life forces. Constructs, undead, et cetera. More of a brute force method compared to your spells, I imagine, but it works." She thought a moment on what to ask about next. If Voodoo magic was real, who knows what else might be. Though, honestly, she figured the answer to "how much of it is real" would still be just as cryptic, if not just "all of the above". She did have one curiosity, though. "How about David Blaine? Real, or show?"

Giving it some actual thought, though, she took a more serious tone. "Actual question, though..." She brushed some of her hair back behind one ear, then gestured politely towards Daniel. "How in the actual hell did he... happen? No offense." Speaking directly to Daniel as she said it, as it was clear he wasn't just some lingering spirit. "But I've encountered ghosts before, a few zombies, even one of the damn Jiang-Shi when I was doing some research in Beijing. They don't retain a life-force the way he does, they're usually powered by some form of Necroplasm or a similar energy source. But... your brother there doesn't follow anything I've encountered... and I'm curious as to why."

Brother Voodoo
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.