Thread of the Month

Thread of the Month:
Training the Untrainable?

Add Reply
New Poll

Fox Duty, March 3rd, 3pm, Open
Legion
 Posted: Feb 1 2018, 12:41 PM

Today, David had learned of just how demanding foxes could be. Having decided that since he was the only one available who they liked, the kits had spent pretty much every waking moment insisting on things from him. Playing with them. Feeding them. Generally just paying attention to him. David continued to be aware that foxes had all of the best traits of cats and dogs, but unfortunately, most of the worst too.

And while David had Mouse out to let him understand and speak with them... there was a wide range between 'understanding' and 'successfully able to get them to do what he wanted'.

David was giving himself and the kits some air, sitting on the front steps of the school with a bowl of cereal. But now that they were outside with him on the snowy lawn, he was watching them perform one of the most bizarre things he'd ever seen foxes do. Dive headfirst into the snow. The thought process of what they were doing was even more bizarre as David listened in on their minds. They were actively adjusting to things that, on the surface, their minds couldn't clearly comprehend... but were still calculating nonetheless. Wind direction? Magnetic north?
"How are you... what."

And yet, despite all rational logic and known science, after a few more tries, Harris came up with a mouse. "...I... I think a science teacher somewhere just had an aneurysm. Well played, Harry." And then Hubert and Harris begun a wonderfully dramatic play-fight over said mouse... while the mouse took the chance to escape. And Hamish just watched it go. "...nice."
PM
^
Gentle
 Posted: Feb 5 2018, 07:31 PM

Nezhno had given himself enough time to recover from the use of his ability in California. The medical staff disagreed with his personal assessment, but he was not going to let that get in his way. He knew how his body reacted to the use of his mutation, and he knew that he could regain the balance, flexibility, and coordination of his muscles if he got back to work. Starting from scratch yet again.

Now another inch or so taller than he was when he had left for California, and if he was able to get moving fully again, he was sure he was a dozen or so pounds of weight stronger than his peak had been. The problem being that Nezhno's muscles were tightened up. Like a perpetual yet painless charlie horse. The tremor in his hands, while not as pronounced as it had been, was still present. His stride was reduced by the lose of flexibility and the rigidness of it all. He wanted to be frustrated with his situation. Nezhno understood though, that frustration never got anyone anywhere.

He also understood that if he tried to enter the gym, Piotr or one of the other gym rats would run him out. At least until he was cleared. So his only option was to start off outside. Perhaps walk the perimeter of the Mansion and if he felt up to hit head to the obstacle course. That all, however, depended on if he could make it down the front steps or not. With a deep breathe, Nezhno shoved the door open and stepped out on the landing. Spotting David sitting outside as the foxes bickered over a mouse that was in the process of making a clean get away.

A grin crossed his face. David was on his list of people to look up now that he was some what mobile. Meditation and yoga was at the top of his list when it came to recovering from the use of his mutation. Especially when that use had as much of an impact on him as this time had. Though Nezhno had been in this position before. "Good afternoon." Nezhno said. A shaky hand gripped the railing as he started to descend step at a time. As if every muscle was pulled and every joint out of place. Though his gentle and peaceful disposition never once faltered as he he made it to where David sat and seated himself.

His eyes watching the fox kits as they played about. "There are Foxes in Wakanda. Silver-backed Fox they are called. Their tracking skills are revered by a small sect that worships the fox god." Nezhno said, stretching his legs out on the steps and massaging at the muscles just above his knees.

Legion
PMEmail
^
Legion
 Posted: Feb 6 2018, 12:26 AM

"Wakandan fox god. You know, if it weren't for the fact that I'm sure I wouldn't be welcome, I'd like to see your homeland someday. It sounds... scenic." David said, scooting over slightly on the porch for the giant teen to sit down. "Like Tibet, but with the temperatures going in the opposite direction, I'd imagine." He watched the foxes at play, the two more wild cubs clearly acting like foxes... and Hamish proved to have all the wild instinct of a Pug. He sat there, wagging his giant fluffy tail, and then came over to see if Gentle would reward him with pets.

"You alright?" He asked, regarding Nezhno with a slight look of worry. Because this was David. Slight was the only flavor his looks came in. Nez was one of his favorite students, however, and given what he'd learned about the boy's powers, it was a fair cause for worry. And that on top of how tough Nez was - he could only imagine that what someone his size called 'pain' was something that would cripple a lesser man. "You look like you got hit by a truck. Made of biceps. Your power acting up, I take it?"
PM
^
Gentle
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 07:24 PM

"Someday." Nezhno said as he rubbed and massaged his tattooed hands. The tremors had at least decreased to a more sporadic, every once in a while thing. No longer constantly shaking like a guy with full blown Parkinson's. "I will be able to take everyone on a trip to Wakanda." Nezhno knew very well that such a thing would not happen any time soon. Change was inevitable, and change was coming for Wakanda. The King had begun to make diplomatic connections, had sent Nezhno to this school. Eventually, while likely still as hidden as it was today, the nation of Wakanda would be known to everyone and not just the few who had stumbled upon it or those that Nezhno had mentioned it to.

Perhaps then, the more xenophobic aspects of Wakanda would come to understand that not everyone you encountered out in the world was corrupt and villainous. That there were good decent people in the world that could not only benefit from Wakanda, but Wakanda could benefit from them as well. He very much doubted his mother would ever be on the "chain of heart" list. He sometimes wondered if she would end up on the treason list. He certainly would not put it past her.

Hammish had decided that Nezhno was of interest. Maybe because he was one of the more gentler dispositioned people on campus, or maybe it was just the feel and reflection of his tattooes. Either way, Nezhno reached down and gave Hammish a slight scratch behind the ear. Not to worry about being nipped or scratched. His tattooes had greatly diminished his sense of feel and so far he had learned that it would take a .45 hollow point at stupid close range to penetrate his skin even in a normal state. Nezhno nodded as David asked if his powers were acting up.

"Not so much acting up, more a pronounced form of the side effects." He simply said, adjusting his legs to a different position. No matter what he did, he just could not get comfortable at all. Though he was confident with a bit of work he could work out the tightness. He always had before. "I let myself become angry while helping to rescue Kerr. It caused me to power up more than I usually do or even needed to." He shrugged a bit. This sort of thing was bound to happen since he had not way to practice with his mutation since every use ran the risk of exacerbating his symptoms. Like it had recently.

Legion
PMEmail
^
Legion
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 07:52 PM

"Do let me know if that changes. I'll have to have someone invent me a passport. I'm legally alive again, I might as well start assembling the handful of things we Totally Normal People are supposed to have to prove we're Totally Normal People." David said, letting his senses wander around the scenery. Foxes. Snow. Trees. Wind. Cold. And that lovely pine scent the school seemed to have, once they were far enough from the stables and the forge.

"Ah, yes. Emotions. Those fussy little things." David smiled softly. "It seems to be a common thing, with mutant powers, from what I've learned. Many of them just sorta... key to the user's emotional state. My own included." He tapped his temple. "So being able to remain calm, no matter the situation, it's like the safety on a gun. As long as you know that it's on, you know you can't shoot yourself in the foot." He chuckled, though, another break in his usual calm. It was a change he'd allowed to happen, over the past month since talking to Gert and later learning of the side effect of his new crystal power. Allowing small breaks in the forced sense of mental calm that he normally kept himself under, his telepathic power being used to subdue his own mental state through brute force.

"During my time in Tibet, one of the teachings my mentor taught me that the search for calm was not about avoiding thoughts and emotions... but embracing them. Just... with restraint. It was a lesson I never really put much thought into, back then, but... I'm seeing more of the point of it by now." David stepped out onto the snow, heading towards the roughhousing kits. "Think of them like these two little devils. If you let them be, they'll get into shit. If you try to stop them by yelling at them, or just picking them up... you're going to get bit."

He sat down in the snow near the pair, and patted his lap. And spoke a little telepathic 'come here, please', which caught the attention of the two balls of fur. Though wild animals, they did enjoy their bellyrubs, and soon cautiously headed over. And were, in turn, rewarded with pets. "The more you try to ignore something, the more you start focusing on it. Pain, in particular. And just shutting everything out... that takes more effort than it's usually worth." He looked back over to Gentle. "Clear your mind, relax... but keep aware of your surroundings. As you feel things enter your mind, just sort of... acknowledge that they exist, and move on. Don't let yourself focus on them. Cold, pain, thoughts of what you had for breakfast, favorite songs, whatever."

Unfortunately, the two wilder little foxes had little patience for attention not being entirely focused on them, mainly as David's request hadn't led to treats. And they had a serious case of the munchies. They dove off David's lap in a hurry, to each resume their wondrously illogical hunting method of diving headfirst into the snow in various places. And even though he could literally read their minds, it still made no sense to him.

Gentle
PM
^
Gentle
 Posted: Feb 13 2018, 05:52 PM

Nezhno sat and listened while David spoke. There was wisdom in his words. Nezhno finding himself curious at what would happen if David ever met B'Chaku. The wise spiritual leader to the King of Wakanda and one of the only Wakandans who did not treat Nezhno like an outsider, but rather as one would treat another Wakandan. The thought led Nezhno to look at his hands. More accurately, the tattoos that were inked into his skin by B'Chaku himself. Nezhno still had a slight, hardly noticeable tremor in his hand. A tremor that would come and go as he pleased. Though his focus was more on the tattoos and the words of B'Chaku than they were anything else.

"Gentleness is strength under control." Nezhno finally said after a few moments of silence. Reciting one of B'Chaku's more readily spoken words of wisdom. Nezhno had yet to figure out how B'Chaku seemed to know just what to say and when to say it. Though he always did seem to know what someone needed to hear, whether they wanted to hear it or not. "A difficult task when those you have come to care about are in danger, and you know you have the strength to protect them." Nezhno pondered on the phrase some more, while watching the Foxes and pondering David's words about those foxes. "Though I suppose I should not take the word strength to be literally physical strength."

His anger at what Nona had done to Kerr was palpable. A very strong emotion came with it. the urge to rend the house and all of Nona's ilk from the face of the Earth. At the end of his threat towards Nona, Nezhno knew he lacked the capacity to carry it out. Logan knew as well, or perhaps Logan just did not want Gentle to march head first down that particular hallway. That would likely be one of those forever unanswered questions. Logan did not seem like the explain himself type.

"Things will return to normal. I have more range of motion today than I did yesterday. Tomorrow will be better, as long as I do the work to make tomorrow a better day." And do the work Nezhno would. Every day. Day after day. With diligence and determination as he did not rightly know how to surrender to his circumstance, or any circumstance really.

Legion
PMEmail
^
Legion
 Posted: Feb 14 2018, 03:55 PM

"Gentleness is strength under control. I like that. And you go by Gentle, right? Is that where you got that codename?" David asked, though otherwise he focused on Gentle's words about his powers. It was a concept David understood. And that meant David was in the rare position to actually be able to teach something useful. It was a nice change of pace from just teaching the overly stressed students how to take a moment and relax.

"Indeed... but... it's worth considering how much use you can be without your powers. Sure, they can be a great gift, but... if the other option is basically killing yourself, it doesn't seem worth it." David stood up and dusted the snow off of himself, then headed back over to the steps. "I was born telepathic and telekinetic, and spent the first couple of my teenage years with my body deciding to randomly turn into shit for no good reason. My powers have, for the most part, been a royal pain in my ass. So a large part of my life has been simply finding ways to turn them off." He shrugged, then sat back down beside Gentle.

"It's not quite the same situation, I'm now learning... somewhat the opposite. How to use my powers productively, rather than just spending years putting my fingers in my ears and shouting 'la la la I can't hear you'." He smirked. "But... perhaps, focus on what you can do without needing your powers. So that when someone you care about is in danger, you don't need to use them. Or don't even accidentally feel you need to use them." He grinned a little wider. "I mean... hell, look at you. Just like you are now, that's already more than impressive enough to handle anything. I know several Olympic bodybuilders who would look at you and weep."
PM
^
Gentle
 Posted: Feb 20 2018, 06:16 PM

Nezhno sat and considered what David was thinking while trying to some stretches while he sat on the stairs out front of the Mansion. Watching the fox kits being fox kits and feeling the cold on his toughened skin. The conversation sort of in a round about way skirted along the edge of why be the one to do something if its killing you? Though that was not the actual intent of David's words. Merely that perhaps he needed to find an alternate path. Nezhno did not quite like that notion either.

"I don't know if using it is slowly killing me or just having it is slowly killing. I get the feeling that the inevitable is coming either way. And I don't think I have the capacity to say "I need to find a different way to keep that car from falling of the bridge. Or whatever the situation is." Nezhno gave a little bit of a shrug as he thought on the matter more. It just was not in his nature to not do what he had the capacity to do. "I do what I can to hold out for as long as possible before using my ability though. Last thing anyone needs is me passing out mid fight."

That was always the real danger as well. The fatigue came quick when Nezhno powered up. When it got to that point he knew the fight needed to end quickly otherwise he would be face down and unconscious. "I think part of the code name is my gentle disposition, and the other part of it is that it is like calling a large man tiny." Nezhno did have a gentle disposition. He also hit like a freight train when he wanted to. "I think things will be alright as soon as I get rid of all this muscle tension, get my flexibility back and return to my usual routine." Routine was important for Nezhno, and you could practically sit your clock by him.

Legion
PMEmail
^
Legion
 Posted: Feb 21 2018, 04:56 PM

David couldn't really argue Gentle's 'bridge logic'. David didn't like using his powers either, but the simple fact was that sometimes he simply couldn't opt out. He nodded slowly. "Fair enough, there." He smirked. "I suppose as long as we know our limits, and can weigh the consequences of breaking them against the consequences of NOT doing so, it's an easy decision to make."

It was something David was learning, the more he stayed at the school. How willing those who called themselves the X-Men were to put themselves in harm's way to save others. How dedicated they were to protecting the students. It had been rapidly outweighing his own outlook on the students - the one issue on which he and his father still disagreed, the one thing keeping David from fully committing. He still couldn't quite get over the fact that he thought it was fundamentally wrong to train children for battle, even if it was for the sake of protecting them. He understood the practicality of it, and he understood why his father supported it, but he just didn't agree with it.

"Routine is important." David muttered aloud, parroting the words of his mentor in Tibet. "...hey, can I ask you a question? Like... not as a teacher, just as a guy still adjusting to things here?" He turned to Nezhno, a curious look on his face. "What do you think, about the whole New Mutant thing? About... training you all to fight, and all that." He looked out to the foxes. "I've always felt that.... well... you're kids. You should be doing teenager things. Going to malls, going on dates, not learning how to defend yourself against... everything. Mutant terrorists. Anti-mutant terrorists. Whatever." He reached over to pet the available ball of orange fluff prowling slowly onto his lap, and sighed slightly. "Are you... alright, with all of this? Do you think it's worth it?"
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.