I Wish I Was a
Little Bit Taller

Add Reply
New Poll

Don’t Make Me Say It, April 7, 9PM // closed
Bella Boudreaux
 Posted: May 2 2018, 06:43 PM

Bella had fucked up and she knew it.

That night at Sister Margaret’s had been ugly and she hadn’t seen Kaine since. It was true that he had only come to New York in November, but the brownstone felt too large and unbearably empty without him in. She gave him time, she gave him space, but still her spider didn’t come home. God she was stupid. One man had made her spin out and act like a total twat and the person to suffer for it was the only one who guaranteed had her back from day one.

She wasn’t one to admit her flaws but her broken emotional gauge was well documented. Cold and calculated Guild decisions were easy for Bella but personal failures and letdowns? She just turned all that anger inward at herself. She hadn’t meant to let Kaine get caught up in her downward spiral but walking home alone that night, so sure he was going to appear at her elbow, Bella had to face the jarring reality. He wasn’t coming.

And he hadn’t come home for weeks.

Bella had initially been sure she could wait him out, cracking first no doubt being a sign of weakness, but by the seventh, Bella was tired of being home alone and she sent her enforcer a text. Stop pouting, it read. Come do your job before I replace you with a cat. Bella attached a picture of Creed she had snapped long before the sociopath had backed Coraday in New Orleans and waited for him to text back.

Sighing, already impatient and hoping she would get a response that wasn’t a smooth and well deserved “Fuck you” if she got a response at all, Bella went down to the basement and tucked herself comfortably onto the couch. She was sorry. She wasn’t entirely sure she could say it out loud but she hated how she’d behaved and she was.

She was sorry.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Kaine
 Posted: May 4 2018, 08:15 PM

If only Bella Boudreaux had known how close Kaine actually was when she sent her text message she would be scaling her way up to his hiding spot to give him shit for worrying her. His being sprawled out on the roof wouldn’t slow Bella down if she wanted to give him shit but Kaine knew that and was laying low. He was actually there waiting to see if Bella would leave her home today so that he could slip in and grab some supplies from his room in the basement so he could do maintenance on his regeneration suit.

Yes Kaine knew he was being petulant and childish by hiding out on the roof hoping for Bella to leave but he never claimed to be a bastion of rational thought and sanity. If he was being honest about himself the best he could lay claim to would be that he was surprisingly high functioning considering his physical condition and life experiences but then again even that might be a stretch. Not many people would simply go to ground at a hidden safehouse and circumvent their employer while going about their job.

Hell, even Kaine deep down knew that this behavior was ludicrous but he just didn’t know what to do regarding Bella. His boss who also happened to be his closest friend was self destructive to the point where she even picked a fight with a super powered criminal that she couldn’t even hurt. The only thing that was clear was that Bella, at least for now, didn’t appreciate him sticking his nose in her business so he was willing to but out of it at least for now. Though he did find time on his first covert trip in the house to pettily dump all of the liquor down the drain to try and prove a point to Bella about how she was developing a problem though he most likely just poured gas on the fire that was Bella’s temper.

He’d been up on the roof for four hours when he received the text message. Noticing his phone buzzing he pulled it out and saw the message with the attached picture Kaine could only look at the phone in disbelief. He knew that this was just Bella’s way to call him back either to talk to him or yell at him some more but using a picture of Victor Creed was a low blow. Not that Kaine personally had any issues with Victor, as any conflicts between the two of them were professional in nature, it just felt like a low blow as it was almost implying that he was easily replaced by an overgrown housecat.

Pocketting his phone he hopped to his feet and quickly made his way down the side of the brownstone finding his usual point of entry, a kitchen window that he had gimmicked the latch on so that he could open it from outside, and pulled himself into the house not really bothering with stealth. Seeing the door to the basement open he made his way towards it and he began coming down the stairs when he saw Bella on the couch.

“So,” he said pausing on the stairs, “Which one of us has the worst coping strategy for unpleasant shit that we don't know how to deal with?”
PM
^
Bella Boudreaux
 Posted: May 6 2018, 01:11 PM

When she had sent the text, Bella had assumed she’d have a little time before Kaine made it home. Time to gather her thoughts, and ensure that her words were in the proper order and that she was calm. Mostly she wanted to make sure that she wasn’t going to immediately blurt out that she’d missed him. She felt, whether justly or not, that him avoiding the brownstone they’d been sharing was the spider attempting to punish her for the way she had behaved. More annoying than the fact he’d done it was the fact it had worked.

Best she not let him know.

For such a large man, Kaine moved with an uncanny silence. She didn’t expect such a speedy arrival and the sudden low tone of his voice startled Bella, her blue eyes going wide. She hated being surprised. She was supposed to be better than that. “How...” She had only just messaged him. Had he been hiding in the fridge? Now that it was no longer chilling her wine, the young queen had very little reason to open the stainless steel doors to see if her enforcer was folded up inside.

“I guess we could call it a draw,” she said slowly, uncurling her long legs to stand. She’d just gotten comfortable. “I waited for you to come home.” It was a soft, uncomfortable statement. Bella had never gotten into a fight with a friend before. Probably because she didn’t have any friends, just a Guild of filled with various subjects that ran the gamut from sycophants to usurpers who wanted the throne but didn’t have the stones to take it. Bella had Kaine, and she’d not appreciated the fact that while the rest of her circle had moved back, he had done his best to not only protect her from outside threats.

But Kaine had protected Bella from herself.

Prowling slowly toward the stairs, Bella motioned for Kaine to come down. “Are you home? Or are you packing up?” She wasn’t going to inflict her bad luck on him if he wanted to move on, continue doing his work from some other cell. She only hoped he would stay.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Kaine
 Posted: May 15 2018, 04:37 PM

“I’m good with calling it a draw,” Kaine said as he pulled down his mask as Bella approached, “Because if we tried to top each other with more petulant behavior I don’t think it would end well.” Kaine was glad that Bella had been waiting for him but felt ashamed that he had simply stayed away in a childish show of defiance. His boss, no his friend needed him and he simply slipped away when she said something foolish and hurtful. The big bad spider running off like a scalded dog because his feelings were hurt. Behavior like that was proof that in spite of the positive impact his ongoing treatment had on his condition that he still had a lot of flaws exacerbated by his screwy brain chemistry.

When Bella Boudreaux gestured for him to come down the stairs he did so but as he got closer to his one real friend he couldn’t look her in the eyes. He was supposed to be her enforcer, bodyguard, and confidant and all he did was contribute to her problems by running off. Maybe the thief Reva was onto something with how she treated him like a monster that the guild had on a leash because right now he felt like all that he was good at was violence and spreading misery.

He came to a stop in front of Bella still looking away in an attempt to not have to confront the hurt that he contributed to trying to figure out what he should be saying when Bella asked him if he was staying or leaving. The question wasn’t unexpected but actually hearing it put a little steel in Kaine’s spine as he knew he had to act like an adult for once and he looked Bella in the eyes and tried to put some levity in his voice to cut the tension. “Don’t worry Bella I’m not leaving I haven’t found anyone besides you that’ll tolerate having me around so you’re stuck with me even if we both end up acting like idiots again.”
PM
^
Bella Boudreaux
 Posted: May 24 2018, 12:46 AM

Kaine cut right to the point and Bella couldn’t help but smile as he descended the stairs. She had missed his quick wit and its effortless return was an immense relief. She had been scared to death that he was going to be cold or distant because she had been such a tremendously petty child but they fell right back into their roles without missing a beat. “At least you have the excuse of being six years old,” she said, her accent making her quiet words thick. “I-” I’m sorry, was what she should have told him. Bella would have meant it, but neither one of them had much practice with uncomfortable sincerity.

He saved her again, cutting her off and allowing the young queen to swallow her apology even though he deserved it. Bella had been terrible, picking fights, recklessly endangering and intentionally hurting herself, and worse... She had been unkind to the last person she had. Kaine hadn’t deserved any of it, he’d simply been the only person she could have lashed out at and Bella had spun out, throwing his loyalty back in his face.

His words elicited a humorless laugh and Bella shook out her blonde hair. “Trust me, mon ami. I wouldn’t want you stuck anywhere else.” There was an awkward moment hung between them and she wasn’t entirely sure how to break it. She wanted to tell him that Auri was back, that John was never coming back, that she had closure where her ex was concerned and was no longer going to drag him into fights that couldn’t be won, or be drinking herself into oblivion any longer. Bella wanted to let Kaine know things would go back to the way they were before her bitter disappointment knocked her on her ass...

“I’m just glad you’re back where you belong. I was worried about you.” Which was stupid. Kaine could more than take care of himself but he was still sick, his broken genes a definite reason to be concerned. At some point her hand had fallen onto his forearm and lingered, blue eyes searching his face for something. “Thank you. For looking out for me when I needed it.” Trust wasn’t easy for Bella but where the spider was concerned, it was as natural as breathing. She knew when she needed him, he would be there.

And that was more than a killer like her deserved at the end of the day.

Bella let her hand drift down to the enforcer’s, momentarily letting her fingers lace with his. “Good night, Kaine. Welcome home.”

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.