Thread of the Month

Plot of the Month:
The Savage Land

Add Reply
New Poll

3.141592654 For My Birthday, March 3.14 @ 3.14 PM [closed]
Faust
 Posted: Mar 12 2018, 06:47 PM

"It is not cheating." Hana said as she walked around the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo. Her digital eyes taking in all the booths and vendors that had come to the gaming expo. The expo was an homage to the throw back retro games and gaming systems. One could find everything from Atari's that still worked and could play some Space invader to Nintendo where you could watch grown men rage quitting over the same Battletoads that they rage quit as young boys.

The expo also had the old throw back table top games. First edition DnD, the original BattleTech, collectors playing Magic the Gathering with the original set where you had to ante up a card in order to play. If it was a game that happened in the eighties or before, it was represented at the Expo.

The Expo also had Bethesda and other major current game developers showing off a lot of the new up and coming games. Making the Expo the perfect place to see just how far gaming has come of the decades, and how much the gaming community still buzzed with activity and enthusiasm regardless of how toxic it tended to be at times.

"It would only be cheating if I forced myself into processing data at an exponential rate. It is not cheating if my faster perception is a natural occurrence. To say that it was cheating is to say that Usain Bolt cheats at the 100 yard dash." Hana held her trophy in her arms, her image inducer projecting her image as she walked along, taking in the sites and sounds of the expo. As well as all the data that was flying around. (She may or may not be already worming her way into the Capcom vendors network so she could gain an advanced copy of MegaMan 11.)

"Besides the Johnny Cage cosplayer was arrogant and needed to be soundly defeated." Hana simply said as she walked along. Perhaps she had worked out some aggression on the poor guy. It was quite likely that was what she had done. She had not as of yet informed Roan of the conversation that she and Kitty had. She had told Roan that Kitty and her had spoken, but she had not spoken to Roan about the information that Kitty had learned about Pale Flower. There would be time enough for that later. Right now she just wished to enjoy the expo and her birthday.

Abra
PMEmail
^
Abra
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 02:39 PM

After the events of the past month or few, both Roan and Hana definitely needed a reminder that despite it all, they were still relatively well-adjusted normal teenage gamers. No ninjas trying to kill them, no dinosaurs trying to eat them, no supervillains trying to take over the world... just two nerds and a convention center full of other nerds and amalgamated electronic nerdery. And it was Hana's birthday. This was a perfect day. "Hey, you won't hear complaints from me. Own that win, it was hilarious when you ripped his head off. The face he made was priceless." Roan was still grinning after that sight. Impotent gamer rage was always fun to watch.

Roan had also opted into cosplaying (it was a convention after all, it seemed required), but it wasn't a very complicated one. Just a rendition of Red from the original Pokemon games - Blue Version was the oldest game he'd ever owned, he counted that as Retro. "Unless you're hacking the game to shave off frames or mess with hitboxes, then it's skill. Even if it's superpower skill, it's still skill." He chuckled at the thought. It was the kind of competitive he was, as a gamer. If Hana could play games at The Computer Is A Cheating Bastard speeds, Roan just needed to up his 'git gud' game. "Besides, I can still beat you at Soul Calibur." He said, playfully sticking his tongue out.

Roan had never understood all of the fascination with retro games, given his Nostalgia Console was a PS2, but there were a few notable nostalgic exceptions. The iconic ones, mainly - no matter how advanced games got, there was always a few games like Tetris that never stopped being fun. The classic arcade cabinets brought back more memories of atmosphere than actual gameplay, of an arcade back in Connecticut that he and his brother spent hours upon hours at growing up. Feeding token after token into everything from Air Hockey to Teen Titans VS Street Fighter, stopping only to eat pizza or to switch over to DDR or Laser Tag when their hands got cramped. Gaming had basically been front and center for all the good parts of his life, so having a girlfriend with a similar outlook was just the best.

"So, anything else you wanna check out? Drake's gonna bitch if I don't spy on the Bethesda booth for him, but whatever. I'm not here to be a little brother today, I'm here to be your nerdy boyfriend." He rested his hands behind his head, looking to Hana, but then looking around the room around them. He was just taking in the atmosphere for the most part, even if it partially involved the familiar smells of energy drinks and nerd sweat. Perhaps another advantage Hana had, living in an android body. "Or we could hit the snack bar. I can grab food, and give you your present. Up to you~"

Faust
PM
^
Faust
 Posted: Apr 1 2018, 08:32 AM

Hana loved the retro games as much as she loved the modern ones. She could loose herself in Battle Toads as much as she could loose herself in the open world content of Monster Hunter. Though she did figure the experience of such open world games was a bit different for her that it was for most everyone else. Especially since she could quite literally put herself into the game. Which reminded her, she needed to resume work on her Danger Room training simulation. A little Danger Room team building exercise set in one of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell scenarios. The coding was tricky, mostly because she was a perfectionist.

"Drake will find in his email an invite to the Bethesda Beta test server and a promotional code that will download any Bethesda game for free." Hana lightly said as she walked along, grinning a little bit while marveling at all the booths and sights. "I have been fixing some of their bugs from time to time." Hana had a tendency to snoop into things that she should not snoop into. Sometimes it was bonafide law breaking computer intrusion, and other times it was innocuous sneaking in and fixing a game bug or two.

"So since Drake is taken care of, we should go to the snack area and locate you something to eat." And the gift. Not that she would admit it, because that would not be the logical thing to do.

Abra
PMEmail
^
Abra
 Posted: Apr 3 2018, 12:20 PM

"Yeah... that's probably for the best. I don't get how people like games that just glitch out all the time. Bethesda bugs, you know. If one of the save files for a game I played got corrupted, or I had to lose hours of progress for a crash, I'd lose my shit." Roan said, as the two headed on their way to where the modest amalgamation of snack carts were organized. Comprising all of the essential gamer food groups - pizza, hot dogs, burritos, doritos, and mountain dew.

Once a hot dog with extra mustard had been obtained, it did not survive long. By the time the two immortal teenagers found a spot to sit down, one relatively untouched by assorted nerd crud, he'd already wolfed it down. He had been mastering the skill of eating entirely too fast or not eating around Hana at all - after all, since she couldn't, he felt it would be rude to do so. There was a finite point where he could hide it, though, and spending a day at a convention was one of those times.

Once they'd found a seat, Roan covertly created a portal on his hand and pulled a long, flat gift box out, the sort typically used to contain necklaces. It was also wrapped neatly in shiny silver paper with purple ribbon. He handed the package over to Hana with a smile as he made the portal disappear. "Happy Birthday."
Much as Hana might predict based on the size of the package, inside was a necklace. Particularly a heart-shaped steel locket. The locket clicked open on one side, however, to reveal a Heart Container mounted inside - safely protected from breaking easily by the steel case. The backside of the locket also had a soft red felt backing that Roan had carefully added on himself, so that while wearing it, it wouldn't make any of the sounds that a metal locket bumping against an android frame might normally cause.

Faust
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

| RPG-D

skinned by missy at atf, caution, & shine.
cfs by black and code script by nicole.